• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The "Incomplete" Secret Technique

bcsst26 said:
garublador said:
For those that have either taught people to full hit or have learned to full hit it themselves, do you think it would be easier to concentrate on half hitting and then worrying about full hitting or just trying to full hit it from the beginning? Or, does it just depend on the person?

Better question is how would you teach someone who is half hitting it to full hit it?
That's really more of a different question. We already know the answer to your question, it's the "failed" connecting piece that Blake's still trying to figure out. A better question would be: Is it detrimental to only focus on half hitting it when your goal is full hitting it?

garublador said:
bcsst26 said:
garublador said:
For those that have either taught people to full hit or have learned to full hit it themselves, do you think it would be easier to concentrate on half hitting and then worrying about full hitting or just trying to full hit it from the beginning? Or, does it just depend on the person?

Better question is how would you teach someone who is half hitting it to full hit it?
That's really more of a different question. We already know the answer to your question, it's the "failed" connecting piece that Blake's still trying to figure out. A better question would be: Is it detrimental to only focus on half hitting it when your goal is full hitting it?

Touche. I would say not. It is easier to take baby steps. Plus if you are half hitting I assume that to fully hit it you are building on half hitting it. So you are basically still half hitting with more added to it. What that more is I have no idea.

i think that question is a logical one and i believe that they are equally as hard to get so you would be better off full hitting it.

now that there is a new way of teaching it, half hitting it will most likely come faster than the full.

either way, it is all timing based, half hitting it is decent timing, not hitting it is no timing, full hitting it is perfect timing.

emiller3 said:
Stand in the right pec position with your elbow facing your target with nothing in your hand. Keep your wrist limp and let your hand hang towards your chest (fingers and thumb pointing towards your chest, hanging down a little.) It's ok to be pointing at your sternum instead of your right pec. Using your shoulder and your elbow, jab your elbow forward like you're trying to elbow something in front of you. You should feel your hand collapse into your forearm and bounce. Play with your elbow height and using different muscles to perform this until you feel the one that gets you the most bounce. Now, when you feel your hand collapse, chop your forearm open and you can feel your wrist swing open. That's the feeling you're looking for, your wrist will swing from closed to neutral (or open) instead of neutral to open, which is what the towel whipping motion does. Start reaching back a little and see if you can keep that feeling. Keep going back and working with it until you're able to work it into your throw. Like Blake said, anything that makes that feeling better, keep with it. Anything that causes you to lose it, get rid of it. Many people have posted little tips and hints, those will help you more if you know what feeling you're looking for to begin with.

I could be doing something completely different when I actually throw, so someone correct me if I'm wrong. But that's how I initially got out of the rut of the wrong snapping motion.

I will work on this over the next couple of days and report back!

i second what masterbeato said.

basically, in the olden days, teaching someone to hit it with their elbow was just as tough as teaching em how to hit it with their wrist. as with a leverage throw, you don't need a lot of elbow to get good wrist snap.

that being said, i agree completely now that these aren't the olden days anymore and the "feel" of a half hit can be learned in 10 minutes while the full hit is still relatively elusive.

dan, if you remember the dual snap drills i was teaching you during line shaping, i think that might be the ticket...

Blake_T said:
dan, if you remember the dual snap drills i was teaching you during line shaping, i think that might be the ticket...

geez ya know the touch part of my lessons from you i remember very little. i know it, but i just cannot pin point it at the moment.

call or PM me

Blake_T said:
for the sake of curiosity, did anyone try the plate spin drill?

Yeah I tried it but haven't been able to really take it to the throw. I am still gettting the reps to get this stuff second nature but am getting there.

I forgot to mention that with a properly timed shoulder turn you don't need to pull back with the elbow once the wrist is snapping forward if you don't want to in a full force drive because the motion of the right shoulder is pulling the whole arm back. That will increase the spin on the disc because the disc is moving forward with already generated momentum and the fingers on the rim pull the "handle of the hammer" making the "head" of the hammer move faster. The harder I yank the shoulders late in the throw the more D I've gained in full force throws for last two or three years. That I have been able to produce almost on command so it's not overly difficult to achieve. The right shoulder moving back needs to roughly coincide with the arm direction change to work to the fullest whipping the wrist forward at maximum rate and aiding in the resultant disc pivot in the thumb lock.

I can't do any of the drills that use the "fake grip", so I haven't even really been able to get started. I simply can't tape my finger in such a way that the edge of the rim doesn't grind against my skin and cause significant pain. Am I gripping it wrong? Should I be using a different disc?

Either forehand or backhand side, Im occasionaly having trouble feeling the weight of the disc

to get the feeling of the weight of the disc, is this caused by the elbow stopping and the disc still moving forward?

So I went and did some of these drills finally and when doing the backhand hammer I noticed that it felt a lot more powerful if I lowered the disc a little to where it was positioned a little lower than my chest. When I went out to the field incorporating this however, I had some very mixed results. Some drives were going noticeably father while others weren't near as close as my normal throws. I normally throw around 375' controlled and my bombs were going 430+ and my bad shots were barely hitting 300. Any thoughts as to what lowering the disc to where I had it would do to my throw? Do you think I would be able to get more consistent lowering it while still probably half-hitting it or do you think I should more the disc back up towards my chest?

masterbeato said:
lowering your pull line creates natural leverage. which is needed.

Finding this out more and more. I'm starting to get that "disc goes forever without effort feeling" and this has been a key component.
Keeping everything loose until the last microsecond while using what feels like too little arm power is getting me better accuracy out to ~300 with a Comet. When I tense up and chuck it, I'm only getting ~350 with an Orc and God only knows where it will end up.
This is the path to infinity and beyond. I WILL hit 400 by 40 (2yrs).
Wish I was local to you guys so I could get coaching.

masterbeato said:
lowering your pull line creates natural leverage. which is needed.

Nice...I was kinda hoping that playing around with the drills would wind up being beneficial. Tonight after lowering my pull line I was getting some throws out to my normal distance and a bit further with some more consistency. I'll keep working with it and test it in different ways to try to get the best results outta it.

the pull line is near the naval, and release point is slightly above the naval.

masterbeato said:
the pull line is near the naval, and release point is slightly above the naval.

So when you start using a reach back do you still keep you pull line that low or does it come up closer to the chest? I had lowered my pull line but it was just barely under my chest not all the way down to my naval.

Navels are relative. If you've got a really long torso this might throw you off.
I would recommend just trying to get the pull lower and lower til you stop seeing a benefit. If you make it too your navel, yay! if not you will still benefit from a lower pull.

Latest posts