• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2016 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

Dollar can't go to Salient unless they let him have another sponsor. She needs a good thumber disc and a good OS putter. They don't have them yet.

I heard Matt Dollar will be sponsored, in part, by Caitlyn Jenner.

Just a point of clarity:

Innova, DM, and Millennium

Discraft and DGA

Latitude, Westside and Dynamic

In all three cases, they don't "co-manufacture" the parent company manufactures, i.e. Innova, Discraft and Latitude. The other companies are essentially retailers who pay the parent company to make discs for them. The actual relationships are probably pretty stable, Houck and Duvall, as I recall, had a long standing relationship with Innova that was pretty tight. I know less about the other set ups, but DGA and Discraft have been together for a very long time.

I'd be curious to know who actually designs the discs for the down market guys. For example, what I've read at Hyzerbomb's site suggests that they've essentially utilized old Innova molds (they are a subpartner of Millennium although that relationship seems to be more separate with time). For sure if you look at the molding structure of the different players, they are related. Innova products leave an approximately one inch flashing in the center bottom of their discs, and all their partners have same. The flashing on Discraft and DGA discs are also the same.

Have to say that I'm impressed by Stokley here. If he is able to get MVP to do this, than he might be able to accomplish something great.

I alsmot hope there is another angle where he is getting something out of the deal, mostly because touring is expensive and even with his semi-transient lifestyle he needs to have an income of some sort.

Just a point of clarity:

Innova, DM, and Millennium

Discraft and DGA

Latitude, Westside and Dynamic

In all three cases, they don't "co-manufacture" the parent company manufactures, i.e. Innova, Discraft and Latitude. The other companies are essentially retailers who pay the parent company to make discs for them. The actual relationships are probably pretty stable, Houck and Duvall, as I recall, had a long standing relationship with Innova that was pretty tight. I know less about the other set ups, but DGA and Discraft have been together for a very long time.

I'd be curious to know who actually designs the discs for the down market guys. For example, what I've read at Hyzerbomb's site suggests that they've essentially utilized old Innova molds (they are a subpartner of Millennium although that relationship seems to be more separate with time). For sure if you look at the molding structure of the different players, they are related. Innova products leave an approximately one inch flashing in the center bottom of their discs, and all their partners have same. The flashing on Discraft and DGA discs are also the same.

It might just be semantics, but "parent company" implies one owns the others in the "family", which isn't the case with any of these companies. They are all independently operating companies, some of whom are out-sourcing the manufacturing to a partner.

Perhaps this deserves its own thread, but where is Stokely getting these numbers?

400 events with 20,000 players?

He seems to be taking credit for this; will he be running them, or is this something that local clubs will be doing the majority of the work?

I'm just interested to know more and the logistics behind it, especially considering MVP will be making a possible donation of $20,000 on top of the apparent distribution expense.

Perhaps this deserves its own thread, but where is Stokely getting these numbers?

He seems to be taking credit for this; will he be running them, or is this something that local clubs will be doing the majority of the work?

I'm just interested to know more and the logistics behind it, especially considering MVP will be making a possible donation of $20,000 on top of the apparent distribution expense.

probably a new thread, but i emailed about the events. looking to TD an event and passed over the mvp circuit last year - but this could be a good option

I almost hope there is another angle where he is getting something out of the deal, mostly because touring is expensive and even with his semi-transient lifestyle he needs to have an income of some sort.

Weeelllll, not to be cynical, but as the head of the charity, he could be drawing a salary. Some charity organizations have volunteer leadership, some have salaried leadership. Someone would have to find the 501c filing to get into who is on the board and if they are paid...

As we've found with most PR these days, the projected numbers could be inflated. He catches himself in the video saying "we" will be running, then changes it "coordinating". My guess is that the Circuit Challenge may be the Blue Power Circuit Challenge or some such merger with MVP.

Not a pro switching sponsors but Ben Wiggins of the HandEye Crew has been picked up by Dynamic Discs. Just an all around nice dude and one heck of a disc golfer. Congrats Ben!

I heard from a pretty reliable source that Matt dollar won a tournament playing with only trilogy discs.

I heard from a pretty reliable source that Matt dollar won a tournament playing with only trilogy discs.

w/ Sparks & XXXs (same source ;)). Can't wait to see more of him in videos this year (I hope)

I though he would like those. The Spark feels more like his flat Firebirds be honestly I wouldn't be surprised if the XXX ended up being his go to.

It might just be semantics, but "parent company" implies one owns the others in the "family", which isn't the case with any of these companies. They are all independently operating companies, some of whom are out-sourcing the manufacturing to a partner.

You are correct, I called them the parent company because those companies are the ones with the manufacturing facilities. As far as I know, while all of the other companies are independent, none of them manufacture. I could be wrong though. That means that while they have their own lines of discs, they are getting them when Innova, Discraft, and Latitude make them.

I'd be interested to know who actually designes the molds used? Is it colaborative, or does one partner or the other have more control? The business model is also interesting. If you are the manufacturer, why create discs for another company? I see some advantages in having a competitive market, but most companies don't do this.

I can't hear Scott Stokley's presentation, but if I interpret the posts correctly, 400 events in a year? Planning on driving everyone else out of the sponsorship market? That would be 12 events a week over a thirty week season, or 10 a week over a forty week season. Hope they're all A tiers. "Coordination" is going to be a bear. Even if we allow for hyperbole and make it 200 events, 5 a week will be tough to maintain.

I can't hear Scott Stokley's presentation, but if I interpret the posts correctly, 400 events in a year? Planning on driving everyone else out of the sponsorship market? That would be 12 events a week over a thirty week season, or 10 a week over a forty week season. Hope they're all A tiers. "Coordination" is going to be a bear. Even if we allow for hyperbole and make it 200 events, 5 a week will be tough to maintain.

The 2015 Trilogy Challenge boasted 298 events in four month period. Discraft's 2015 Ace Race boasted 356 events in a three month period. I don't think 400 events in a year, particularly if they're going for the whole calendar year instead of a set "season", is overly ambitious at all.

For clarification: Scott won't be playing or hosting 400 events himself.

MVP is very popular with the 'kids', and company sponsored ace, birdie, 2 disc and 3 disc challenge tourneys are popular as well. So an MVP circuit with a bigger push could conceivably hit the 400 mark. 200-300 is more realistic.