• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2021 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

Discraft will have a very intersting issue on their hands IMO. Paige vs Hailey. Should make for good tourney coverage as well.

Hailey is literally one Catrina Allen putting blow up away from this not even being remotely a discussion.

Mad respect for Hailey, but not even remotely close to Paige's level.

Hailey is literally one Catrina Allen putting blow up away from this not even being remotely a discussion.

Maybe not next season but one cannot argue HK is absolutely trending in the right direction to fuel the conversations. Ultimately, HK is very young and it will depends on how much of her life she decides to dedicate into DG.

Lol wut?? Hailey already has a better putt than Cat ever had and you do realize she's almost a decade younger than Paige right? If she sticks with it, she'll eventually overtake the Paige and Cat show, just a matter of time before it's the Hailey versus the Finnish girls show

Lol wut?? Hailey already has a better putt than Cat ever had and you do realize she's almost a decade younger than Paige right? If she sticks with it, she'll eventually overtake the Paige and Cat show, just a matter of time before it's the Hailey versus the Finnish girls show

I wouldn't really categorize the FPO as the Cat and Paige show even now. It's the Paige show also featuring Cat. I don't think it will be long before we more often see Hailey getting the majority of 2nd place finishes rather than Cat. Who knows if Hailey will quite reach Paige's level though I believe the chances are good. Then the next question is when? Will Paige's star be waning before Hailey gets there.

If Cat putted as good as Paige, would she be better than Paige?

It would be VERY close. Paige still has a good 30 feet on her in distance and that certainly helps on the DGPT courses, even in the FPO layouts Paige is getting WAY more eagle looks than Cat and is also constantly in the hunt for those big par 3s that Cat can't reach as often. I think Cat probably loses about 2 strokes a round, on average, due to her subpar putting which would put her in the high 980 range.

All in all, I would still give Paige a very small edge due to sheer distance, but I think Cat, if she putted as good as Paige does, would have won 2019 worlds and quite possibly 2018 as well.

Looking at stats, Paige is better than Cat at Parked, C1 in Reg, and C2 in Reg. Cat goes OB less often.

...but Paige and Cat definitely stand out when it comes to throwing the disc.

Who knows if Hailey will quite reach Paige's level though I believe the chances are good. Then the next question is when? Will Paige's star be waning before Hailey gets there.

Here is the big question - how much longer can Paige's arm hold up throwing as hard as she has done for as long as she has? She's been amazingly injury free, for the most part, thus far, and that has been the ace up her sleeve for a long time. But nobody escapes father time, and all the big arm throwing men, one by one, started having problems in their early 30's, and I would have to think it's inevitable for her.

We also know that women are more susceptible to ligament and tendon damage/injuries due to a variety of factors. This isn't something I'm making up out of thin air - there is a ton of legit science to back this up. Here is a good pubmed study to look at and there are plenty more.

I do think the one big thing Hailey does have going for her is that it seems, even at a young age, she is relying on being a smooth technical thrower and short game, and doesn't seem to be trying to outgun everyone and throwing really hard. Same goes for Heather Young, so I'm pretty optimistic that those two will have a very successful next decade in disc golf if they really go for it.

I think you can through 2020 FPO right out since the European Invasion was put on hold.

EH I dunno about that. I would make an argument that Paige, in 2020, has performed better than any female in the history of disc golf and is, at this time, the most talented FPO player ever, and I don't think any of the European girls, at this point in time, would have stopped her.

I do think her window of dominance is closing fast though and there are a bunch of young guns who are about to push her off the top in a few seasons or so.

Paige is 29, Cat is 35. In disc golf years, that's a fairly good gap in skill/age levels. I think Paige's skill set is locked and loaded for the next 5 years. If Paige just plays smarter "par golf" on certain holes, she's shaving off strokes. Cat's overall game is fine, if she can just clean up those putts from 20ft in, she's shaving off strokes. I think 2021 still has a chance for a few Paige vs Cat shows, but like others have said, that time frame is diminishing fast.

Something that's been overlooked when assessing player skill sets is how the development of their pre-frontal cortex can affect their mental game and course management abilities. The pre-frontal cortex which controls risk/reward judgments and emotional responses isn't fully developed until age 25-27. This human cortex development timing is related to not being able to rent a car until age 25 in some locations or having higher insurance rates in general where stats indicate that more reckless behavior under age 25 produces more wrecks.

Where this comes into play in disc golf is observing how the younger guns and gunettes(?) can thrive with the "go for it" mentality on courses where their power isn't challenged by the course design and/or significant penalty elements, but sometimes don't do relatively as well as the more seasoned "vets" (age 25+) on shorter, more technical, more wooded, or punitive designs where course management savvy is more important.

Something that's been overlooked when assessing player skill sets is how the development of their pre-frontal cortex can affect their mental game and course management abilities. The pre-frontal cortex which controls risk/reward judgments and emotional responses isn't fully developed until age 25-27. This human cortex development timing is related to not being able to rent a car until age 25 in some locations or having higher insurance rates in general where stats indicate that more reckless behavior under age 25 produces more wrecks.

Where this comes into play in disc golf is observing how the younger guns and gunettes(?) can thrive with the "go for it" mentality on courses where their power isn't challenged by the course design and/or significant penalty elements, but sometimes don't do relatively as well as the more seasoned "vets" (age 25+) on shorter, more technical, more wooded, or punitive designs where course management savvy is more important.

It's earlier for women; 21 or 23, depending on the study.

Thanks for this. Helps me understand why I just seem to fall apart on holes where I should play safe, since there isn't a good way to attack the hole. Maybe this will be one of the final pieces to help me get over that 900 rating hump. Also I've got a few more years to mature based on this, so maybe I still have an outside shot to make it as a pro disc golfer.

I might buy into this more if top "older" players on both sides (McBeth, Wysocki, Pierce) didn't have the mentality of gunning for everything.

I might buy into this more if top "older" players on both sides (McBeth, Wysocki, Pierce) didn't have the mentality of gunning for everything.

I think that depends on the division. In MPO, if you aren't close to shooting double digits under par, no matter the course, every round you won't be making lead card. In FPO I feel like Paige just enjoys running stuff, and she's had such a lead over the rest of the FPO division for so long that she can still suffer the occasional big number and still dominate. At least that's how it seems to me.

What you see as gunning for everything may be less than what it was as younger players. If they have learned from practice and experience that they can make certain long comebackers when missing, then what might be gunning for you is not gunning for them. We can't see what risks they haven't taken without asking them. As you're aware, being some of the longest throwers can sometimes cover up what may appear to be tactical errors in judgment.