• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The mythical Innova ROC

The Vroc sucks, as do all the "V" crap Innova is churning out

One DG player's trash is another DG player's treasure. Differences of opinion make betting on horses possible, and make for lots of different DG molds being available. You may not like V-tech discs, but many of them are v(ery)-good. :thmbup: :popcorn:

So everybody that cycles Rocs. How many Rocs do you think is the perfect number to cycle? Right now I roll with a USDGC Champion Rancho Roc, (Overstable) KC, (Straight) KC & a (Flippy) KC. I also bag a Recon Mortar, I mostly throw it forehand though. I've been thinking about adding in another KC/DX Roc. I'm just curious how many Rocs other people carry in their bags.

I have a bin of Rocs in various stages and molds. Most are Rancho's but there are a few Ontario and San Marino mixed in there. I typically carry 4 Rocs in my bag; 1 Champ Ranch, 2 KC Pro's (1 fairly new and the other beat straight), and a DX Ontario for flippy shots.

I have a bin of Rocs in various stages and molds. Most are Rancho's but there are a few Ontario and San Marino mixed in there. I typically carry 4 Rocs in my bag; 1 Champ Ranch, 2 KC Pro's (1 fairly new and the other beat straight), and a DX Ontario for flippy shots.

This sounds almost exactly like me. 2006 Hole #7 champ glo rancho, newish 11x, and a 5/10 12x kc. Been playing around with a 7/10 166g 0x for flippy. You are making me want to put a fav dx ontario back in the bag. Only problem is it feels a lot different in the hand than the ranchos and I get a little squirrely with it sometimes.

I have a an old repurposed CD rack full of various Rocs. Once you season a Roc it stays in the sweet spot for a long time, so I season another 3-4 Rocs before any of them have to go back in the bag. Once one gets beat into a good turnover disc, it stays that way forever basically and you beat another couple before you need to replace the one in your bag. Do that for 20 some-odd years and you end up with a backlog of Rocs that are either seasoned or right at the turnover stage that you are just waiting to need. Mine are about 3/4 Ranchos and 1/4 Ontarios. I think there is only one San Marino in there.

I like all three molds. But a Champ Rancho, a couple KCs, a single DX Ontario is a hard combo to beat.

I actually thought the dx Vroc was the best roc for a single disc round...

i barely throw my fairway drivers because of how tuned in my KC pro rocs are right now.

the one thing i don't do too much of with my rancho rocs is long turnovers because i've gained distance and consistency with my sidearm.

I've been frustrated because during rounds i either have one or the other: long turnover or a sidearm.

^ that is not to disparage a beat up KC Roc. I have two in my bag, and my Comets all live on shelves nowadays (or other people have them). But damn if a neutral Comet doesn't do all sorts of magical glidey gravity-defying stuff.

I'm currently bagging 3 rocs. I've slowly transitioned to throwing just rocs, although I still love my emac truth. I just love the dx feel and control.
One Blue dx roc I've had for 2 years, thrashed to all hell.
Orange dx roc, 7/10 dead straight
Fresh purple Dx roc straight to fade
A max weight Elite Z hornet- Favorite os mid I've thrown. Full power it goes straight then gets a nice forward fade. Great distance.

I am a Roc cycler, with the exception of a Champ Rocx3 which I use use for my overstable mid needs. I'm not sure I even know how to throw another midrange at this point.

I know this is a Roc thread & believe me I love Rocs. I cycle Rocs. I have to give a shout out to the Millennium Taurus. It is literally a Roc-X. It's a Rancho Roc with a spacer (from what I've been told). It's penned Roc-X (RX) on bottom of the flight plate right above the weight. So it's pretty much what Innova did with the Roc3 to make the RocX3. The spacer makes it a little more overstable. I highly recommend guys who like/cycle Rocs to check one out. The Taurus is a cheap alternative to a Champion USDGC Roc. It is perfect for that overstable Roc slot. The Taurus is overstable but not Gator overstable. It's comes in Champion plastic so it will stay that way for quite some time. I've heard many people complain about the prices of USDGC Rocs. This is what you should get if you don't want to pay those prices. I was really surprised by how much glide the Taurus had for being overstable. It isn't a brick like a Gator. It isn't super domey either. It has a small dome just like a Roc should IMHO. It's slightly more overstable than all but one of my USDGC Rocs. I currently bag a USDGC Roc & I have quite a few backups. I still might bag the Taurus, its underrated for sure. I just thought Roc throwers should know Innova released a Roc-X. I've seen a lot of Roc3 throwers with RocX3s in their bag...only seen two Roc throwers with a Taurus (Roc-X).

Hmmm I hadn't heard of that disc. I've been out of the golf loop for a while so I assumed the Rocx3 was the only option for a true overstable Roc. The one I have may be a freak, but it's almost Gator overstable and I can hit right around 410 with a Roc so I was quite surprised when the Rocx3 didn't do much of anything but start fading out of my hand pretty much. I'll have to look into it.

I know this is a Roc thread & believe me I love Rocs. I cycle Rocs. I have to give a shout out to the Millennium Taurus. It is literally a Roc-X. It's a Rancho Roc with a spacer (from what I've been told). It's penned Roc-X (RX) on bottom of the flight plate right above the weight. So it's pretty much what Innova did with the Roc3 to make the RocX3. The spacer makes it a little more overstable. I highly recommend guys who like/cycle Rocs to check one out. The Taurus is a cheap alternative to a Champion USDGC Roc. It is perfect for that overstable Roc slot. The Taurus is overstable but not Gator overstable. It's comes in Champion plastic so it will stay that way for quite some time. I've heard many people complain about the prices of USDGC Rocs. This is what you should get if you don't want to pay those prices. I was really surprised by how much glide the Taurus had for being overstable. It isn't a brick like a Gator. It isn't super domey either. It has a small dome just like a Roc should IMHO. It's slightly more overstable than all but one of my USDGC Rocs. I currently bag a USDGC Roc & I have quite a few backups. I still might bag the Taurus, its underrated for sure. I just thought Roc throwers should know Innova released a Roc-X. I've seen a lot of Roc3 throwers with RocX3s in their bag...only seen two Roc throwers with a Taurus (Roc-X).

Does the inner rim on the Taurus slant like on the roc3 and rocx3? Me no likey.

I never found the Rocx3 to be that overstable, at least not enough to take the OS slot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never found the Rocx3 to be that overstable, at least not enough to take the OS slot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think this is the complaint I've heard from a lot of people now who throw with some power. The RocX3 is fine with no wind or for a 60% throw, but give it some headwind or some power and you no longer get that nice fade that you want in an OS mid.

Maybe I should stop complaining about the Taurus being a Millennium release that's hard to find and try one. The Rancho Roc top mold piece hopefully gives it that little bit of extra stability that the RocX3 lacks. I even went to Disc Golf Depot, the biggest disc golf store in the Portland area yesterday (shout out to ORDB), but they didn't have any yet. Jerry said they just re-stocked Millennium too, so I doubt they'll have any for a while. I really like baseline mids though; I'd be far more likely to try a Taurus in Millennium standard plastic (or even Sirius) than in Champion.