• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The next great player....under 18 phenoms

James Proctor - he's 18 and showing a lot of potential - he was on the lead card at beaver state fling this year after his first round - I used to play with him when he was 14 and since then he has really stepped up his game - keep an eye out

I agree. I play with Proctor and he has crazy distance and skills. Drew Gibson is another to watch out for.

i seriously think forehanding is a cop out.

i have a lot of confidence in my buddy zach longeill. a couple more years at this and im sure he will be 1000 rated. hes going to am worlds next year, so we'll see how he does under the bigger spot light. he did great this year at the vibrAM. once those rounds are counted for, his rating should jump a good bit. currently 12. playing for 2 year i believe. he seems to keep up with whatever level players he is throwing with, so if he would just step up in divisions, i feel his game would escalate further.http://www.pdga.com/player_stats/95108/2013

I doubt many of these kids will still be playing once they are in college...

:popcorn:

im not being sarcastic at all, i think forehand shots are the easy way out every single time. timmy gill designed all my local courses and there are so many dogleg rights its disgusting. i seriously think forehanding is a cop out. we all know its harder to pull off touch annys and the sort but if someone flicks anything i lose all respect for them. i compare it to pushing mongo on skateboards, easier sometimes but BAD form. imagine if a baseball pitcher pulled out a underhand softball throw randomly, it would throw off the hitter and likely be beneficial, doesnt mean it isnt lame as hell.

First off just b/c an anny is harder to pull off in your opinion than a sidearm doesn't necessarily mean an anny is always a better option for a particular shot. Backhand annys & flick throws have different flight patterns & are both useful to know depending on the situation, which makes it beneficial to know them both. Just b/c a shot is harder to throw than another doesn't mean you should throw it. With that logic I should be throwing chicken-wing & grenade on every hole & that would make you throwing backhand a easier shot therefore you contradicted yourself & you should lose all respect for yourself by your own logic. If a person throws all sidearm they could say the same thing as you did about backhand that not throwing annys sidearm & throwing backhand is a "cop out". So by your logic if a hole is a dogleg right (Right Handed) you should throw an anny backhand & if its a dogleg left (Right Handed) you should throw an anny sidearm. So by your own logic you throwing a hyzer backhand is a "cop out" & you should throw an anny sidearm but b/c you don't you should lose all respect for yourself. I don't know what your whining about I'm pretty sure backhand has a great distance potential than forehand. It takes just about as much field work & practice to learn sidearm as it does backhand. Also why don't you just worry about your game & stop criticizing people for how they choose to throw. I've seen either in person or in videos McBeth, Climo, Wiggins, Nikko, Garrett Guthrie, Feldberg, Doss & Schusterick throw a sidearm shot before. Do you have zero respect for all of them? In all sidearm is a great tool & if you don't want to use it that's fine but looking down on people for using it is just childish & shows your ignorance. I could go on but I don't feel the need to post more evidence to prove your wrong. :popcorn:
mjaxmy1kmtm1zde0mjjhmdkzowri_5174b0cb1655d.png

Last edited:
You're entitled to your wrong opinion.
Last time I checked, the object of the game was to complete a hole/round in the fewest number of throws, and you don't earn bonus points for style or degree of difficulty.

Throw the shot that gives YOU the highest probability of achieving your desired outcome in the immediate circumstances. If it's a touch anny, fine; but if it's forehand, overhead, scooby, chicken wing, or roller, so be it. Heck, throw opposite hand if circumstances dictate it. At the end of the round, they don't ask, "How?" they ask, "How many?"

:thmbup::clap::hfive:

I doubt many of these kids will still be playing once they are in college...

:popcorn:

Sam Doebert from Wisconsin, got into disc golf a few years ago. The only sport he plays is disc golf. The only sport he wants to pay is disc golf. His whole family loves disc golf. He's sponsored. Pretty much everything that he would need to stay in the sport he has.

Dan Brown Jr

http://www.pdga.com/player_stats/62721/2012

DBJ is only 13 (may have just turned 14?) and has great potential out of Portland, Oregon. He has a very supportive family and community behind him. His attitude/temperament about the game is solid, and he's been improving pretty quickly as of late. His rating is 950 right now, but he's working through some growing pains with consistency. With his attitude and character, I fully expect him emerge a 1000 rated golfer by age 16.

He also threw a 492' drive at a D-Comp a few weeks ago (flat ground, no wind).

Definitely a youngster to keep an eye on.

How old is Peter McBride? Seen him on some of the Central Coast DG vids ... extremely smooth form, seems like he's got a good mental game too
A long time ago I was able to beat him in tournaments.

A long time ago. :\

What sucks is that he's a really nice kid so it's hard to hate him. ;)

i have a lot of confidence in my buddy zach longeill. a couple more years at this and im sure he will be 1000 rated. hes going to am worlds next year, so we'll see how he does under the bigger spot light. he did great this year at the vibrAM. once those rounds are counted for, his rating should jump a good bit. currently 12. playing for 2 year i believe. he seems to keep up with whatever level players he is throwing with, so if he would just step up in divisions, i feel his game would escalate further.http://www.pdga.com/player_stats/95108/2013

I was looking through this thread just to see if Zach was mentioned. Only 12 and won Intermediate in an A-tier. Rated almost 900 which will def go up on next update. Also very composed for someone so young, definitely handles himself better than a lot of kids at tournaments.

I think that having a Forehand is an essential weapon especially in the pro ranks. This is the area that I have struggled with since I've begun. The past few weeks I have been working very hard on my forehand. I can almost get it over 300 ft., but I find that I can throw it pretty accurately.

newer players have no prejudice against using both types of shots...I've seen it on my home course.....in a strange twist some of these players can hit the backhand hyzer and then the flick hyzer so most holes are covered but occasionally theres an anny tunnel that they just cannot seem to understand how to play lol

I am loving all of these names and it will be interesting to see which of them emerges

Where and who is SEARCHINGFORDISTANCE in this convo?

I think that having a Forehand is an essential weapon especially in the pro ranks. This is the area that I have struggled with since I've begun. The past few weeks I have been working very hard on my forehand. I can almost get it over 300 ft., but I find that I can throw it pretty accurately.

Nice Austin. Being a well rounded player never hurt anyone these days. :thmbup:

Keep up the good work.

see ya :\

Latest posts