• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Official 'Ask Paul McBeth' Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a lot of the "problem" is that at the root of it, DG is not a spectator sport. Skate/Snow boarding is so extreme and fun to watch, but DG not so much.

I follow cycling (talk about drug issues), and it has a similar problem. It's too hard to show the skill and toughness of the competitors through the TV. It's a great sport to participate in, but I know it will never have a huge following.

Ball golf has made the jump from participant sport to spectator sport, but it's taken a very long time. It's only been in the last few years that anyone cared about watching it on TV. It had to be pervasive as a participant sport first.

At the end of the day, DG will grow (or not) because people discover it and play it (or not). I do think this has everything to do with the image of the average player. People who play stoned, exhibiting public intoxication, littering, swearing, generally behaving badly will drive newcomers away. Especially newcomer families, who will be bringing the next generation of players (and spenders).

This is probably all off topic for the McBeast thread. I'll make it relevant by sating thanks to Paul. I've really enjoying keeping up with this thread....:thmbup:

exactly the average player image is what sells it.

Players at Worlds hope they make the semis on Saturday and plan their lodging accordingly. Even if they don't make the semis, they'll still be there on Saturday. In addition, it was a combo Worlds so enough Ams were there already to watch the pros. The Final 9 venues at Worlds are also getting set up more as festivals so there are things going on separate from watching the Finals. Regardless, I'm not sure how many local people were at the World Finals as spectators that weren't connected to a player in the event. Attracting those people are critical for any future increases in sponsors to increase purses.

i must say i'm pretty sure there were more spectators than players at worlds this year. over 2,000 i believe. MTL would know more then me. but they had great vendors there which cared to a variety of people. i was really impressed!

I got into disc golf because it was cheap, fun, and good exercise in the company of good friends. It was basically a cheap replacement for ball golf. Now I enjoy it because of the creativeness and non-judgmental aspects of it. No one really harps on you for hitting a tree on a near impossible anhyzer to an out of site basket. Even at a highly competitive level. However, in ball golf, the polar opposite is true. Every shot is criticized. I can't count the number of un-enjoyable rounds I've had due to players losing patience with a newer player.

Ball golf is a slowly dying sport. Mainly because of the price and exclusivity of it all. Those are also the reasons that they are able to do high payout tournaments. Businesses are only really interested in sponsoring events that they can make money from. If the price of a 13 speed driver was $100 retail, then Innova would probably be sponsoring events with $1 million payouts. The problem created by this scenario is that a new player isn't going to pay an outrageous amount of money to try out disc golf. So you end up with a sport growing in money but not in members.

The other way to grow the sport is to introduce everyone you know. Grow the amount of people playing. Cities will build free parks when they see player numbers increasing. And companies will provide larger sponsorships because 10,000,000 players buying $10 discs will net the same as 1,000,000 people buying $100 discs.

Having said all this, drug testing is not going to legitimize the sport. They did this in the chess world as well. What will legitimize disc golf is taking a new player out and showing them a good time. Working together to grow the number of people to play disc golf.

if you were to take a family to a DG event and see the pros rippin it up in the woods because they didnt make the finals... how does that look to them? that is my main problem with the drugs

Out of all the holes you have ever played, which one is your most favorite?

thats a tough one, hmmmm..... i would say #13? at the European open... i believe i took a 9 but it is a hole if you can throw 500 feet you can 2 it but just as easily 9 it.

A lot of pros say they want to elevate the sport but most of us dont see it. Ex. X games is in aspen right now.
I think its boring but I lnow its there becuase of Twitter. Every person competing is talking it up. Posting pictures of practice. Etc etc. I have a lot of pro dgers on fb and twitter and I don't see much ex spring support me so i can go here or ill bitch about this becuase I disnt win. Your not who im talking about. But why go watch whiny mooch when I can relax and have fun practicing to be the next will,paul or Ricky?

yes and i really think this is a problem.... i've never gotten so much support in my life and this DGCR is really bringing a lot of it. i have people ive never seen on this site before say thing like "its really awesome seeing you answer question" and things like that and it makes others want to help. The local paper here in Huntington Beach wrote a article about me winning worlds and i was unaware about it until people started approaching me on the streets saying" are you Paul McBeth" and actually congratulating me. its really just publicity that sparks intrest. its the image that will keep them.

Paul:

What hole would you rather play...a 700 foot wide-open bomber, or a 300 foot super tech hole littered with trees and a nice fat creek running right through the middle of it?

I ask because this discussion has come up a lot in my area. They keep using the phrase "pro level courses" when they really mean "boring courses that are stupidly long and will draw no traffic from casual players". Sorry for the mini-rant, but I'd like to get an actual pro golfers opinion on this. I definetly prefer shorter, technical holes that can be enjoyed and played by all skill levels.

depends on the course as a whole... are there open holes already? are they all wooded? it needs a great mix... if that creek can only be used for that hole use it but find where you can make a variety.... look at Maple Hill if you want a great course design they have both open and tight.

Got another one for you. Say you have tournament A at a wooded course with majority technical holes, and tournament B with more wide open holes. Do you change the discs in your bag, or does your bag pretty much stay the same regardless of what course you are playing?

Got another one for you. Say you have tournament A at a wooded course with majority technical holes, and tournament B with more wide open holes. Do you change the discs in your bag, or does your bag pretty much stay the same regardless of what course you are playing?

it could change a bit... more mids and fairways drivers for the short tech course

long course means more fast drivers.

no its my own personal choice. I can't say why now but I have my fingers crossed hoping it all works out.

:clap: Awesome to hear you have some good opportunities out there, if there's a touring pro out there that deserves it it's you!

Status
Not open for further replies.