• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] The River

Even though many people say that only certain discs are "good FH discs," any disc can be thrown forehand. The effect will only be mirrored from BH.

The problem is that it's not as easy to make keep the discs on the same plane / axis as when you throw backhand. So most players use overstable discs when they FH to compensate for torquing it over.

I have only found a couple discs, like that QJLS, that didn't fly right. The shape of the disk is actually the biggest issue as far as throwability fh. Anything with a putter style design, like a Roc, is more difficult to get a comfortable grip. So, that is what I meant mainly. Other than that, yes, I believe most discs can be used either way. There are discs not rated/recommended for fh usage (like the QJLS). I had a guy give me one for finding his Elite-Z Wildcat (I love that disc, too bad it's discontinued), and I couldn't get it to fly consistently, looked it up and it said "Not recommended for forehand shots".
Anyway, back to the River, gonna have to try one out! I've been liking slower speed discs, and need a couple straight flyers still!

River FH

Could someone possibly post a profile pic of a River, and possibly underside shot as well? And/or answer a question? I notice that none of you are "advertised" forehanders. Is the River a disc useful to a forehander? What's the speed? I can usually tell some of this by seeing a disc, but answers/comments will help as well! Looking for a good gliding straight flyer, speed 10 or less. Thanks!
BTW those are some sweet looking Rivers posted!

My FH sucks and I just roll the River. But I have seen Lopan12 flick them excellently. If you have a smooth FH, and decent form they are very nice straight flyers.

Under speed 10 you may want to try a Saint also. Faster and slightly more stable than a River but still pretty glidey. I FH Strikers since they ate a little more over stable and hide some of my ugly wrist roll OAT, and overall bad form. :doh:

My FH sucks and I just roll the River. But I have seen Lopan12 flick them excellently. If you have a smooth FH, and decent form they are very nice straight flyers.

Under speed 10 you may want to try a Saint also. Faster and slightly more stable than a River but still pretty glidey. I FH Strikers since they ate a little more over stable and hide some of my ugly wrist roll OAT, and overall bad form. :doh:

I believe my FH is smooth and form is coming along, in my opinion, for what it's worth. So a Saint goes on the "want to try" list also. Thanks for the imput! :thmbup:

river flick

Sorry to jump into this thread, but I just had a little time and saw a River thread. My bag changes all the time b/c I like to try new molds, but there are 3 discs that I will never leave at home; those being a River, a Roc and an Ion.

I've never been so impressed with a disc from throw #1 as I was with the River. They seem to just not want to touch the ground, like they have some anti-gravity device thing going.... crazy glide. Both GL's that I have man, when they slow down and most discs will fade out, they just seem to hit 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear and just keep cruising straight. They seem to fade forward more than any other disc I've ever thrown and even with the small wing, which is comfy to me, have big distance potential. Like it's been said, you can't torque 'em or try to strongarm them, but smooth clean form will be rewarded.

Anyways, I flick em from time to time and it can be done. You just have to focus on smooth form and keeping the nose down more than with other discs. The plus-ish type rim seems to work really well, b/c it's not nearly as severe as Innova + molds. It responds well to clean spin and snap, though, and can be hyzer-flipped forehand from a standstill way farther and way easier than any other fairway I've thrown.

I guess you can tell I'm a fan.

My FH is leagues behind my BH. I love FH with my Fuse and best of all, Rivers. We're talking a pretty n00by 225/250' FH shot, but getting a nice hyzer flip out of my rivers lets me know that my form's not full of Quaker Torques.

I'm with ya rains, my FH is nowhere close to being as consistent for me as BH, which isn't always great either, but it comes and goes. I like flicking the Fuse and River more than any other discs, but I don't bust it out too often.

Either of those discs can be thrown from a standstill really easily. In fact, that's probably the way to do it, so a run up doesn't screw with nose angle. I always use a FH power grip, so I can really put a lot of spin on the disc by pushing w/ the pad of my middle finger rather than the side, like with a two-finger grip. Each of those seems to work really well for me, though, b/c they just need to hyzer flipped. It seems like they will just flatten out from a deep hyzer angle and sail for days with very little effort, and the + type angle of the rim is the same on both.

It's tough for me to throw them flat, b/c I tend to torque 'em a bit and even if they come out clean, when thrown flat they'll ride an anhyzer line to the ground. But yeah, rivers are just begging to be flicked from a deep hyzer.

I just saw your post sloppy. I personally can't throw thumbers or any overhand shots really, b/c of a bad shoulder, but I've seen it done a couple of times with success. I would think that a River would come out of your hand a lot cleaner b/c of the rim and not get hung up on your thumb as much as something with a sharper rim.

I'm not a big fan of Innova's + rim. The angle just seems too severe to be comfortable, but I think Latitude got it right.

Just got my discs - these things are amazing! I haven't even thrown one yet, but as far as looks go I couldn't be happier. This chartreuse is so bright and vibrant, I don't even miss the swirls. Pics tomorrow!

I am going to give one of these a shot as well. Is there a good place to order them that has a decent selection? I would love to get one with lots of the swirls....

Community Discs has some good ones in a variety of weights and colors.

Looks like they only have 3 online right now. I REALLY want a colorshift one! Just missed on one in the marketplace. Anyone have one for sale? Not afraid to open up my wallet for the right disc...

Well I would give Discovering the World a call. They may have a colorshift one. They usually have a ton of Latitude stuff in stock.

Looks like they only have 3 online right now. I REALLY want a colorshift one! Just missed on one in the marketplace. Anyone have one for sale? Not afraid to open up my wallet for the right disc...

Colorshift will not be easy to find. They don't make Rivers in colorshift anymore. You might be able to find a Skulboy River in colorshift, but it won't be cheap. Discgolfcenter.com currently has just over 20 Gold Line Rivers. Marshall Street has a ton as well.

Latest posts