• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Thoughts on the Spider?

hilega

Bogey Member
I go to control disc is a 170g DX Leopard. I love this disc! I can make it do whatever I want.

I would like a similar mid and am considering the Spider. I feel that it's glide rating of 3 would provide enough separation between it and the Leopard even thought it is a 5 speed disc (Leopard is 6).

Before everyone says it, I already have a well beat DX Roc, but it is still too overstable for my taste and I don't play enough to beat in discs to carry at various stages of flight paths.

I am also looking at a Champ Panther.

What's everyone think? (please comment on the Spider and Panther and NOT the Roc & Buzzz).

Thanks.

I think the Spider would feel a lot more stable than your Leopard. If you want a similar flight path to the Leopard, I would suggest the Buzzz, or maybe the Cobra if want something from Innova.

I have a Champ Panther and I love it. I often use it for slow, long range anhyzers (although sometimes it has a mind of it's own and fades back left). For the most part I feel like the Panther is one of my most controllable discs. I don't personally throw a spider, but both my mom and brother are forehand dominant players and throw spiders as their mid ranges and seem to love them.

Coyote?

I've never used a Panther.

I won't say the R- or B-words. :)

My Champ Spider actually acts fairly overstable for me, and I use it for short, fading shots.

My middle-of-the-road stable mid-range disc, when I'm not using a R-, is a Coyote.

I don't use it often (its hers!) but my girlfriends spider is pretty sweet. But it does take awhile to get used to hyzer/anhyzer shots with it
Definately a much different disc than a leopard. The spider lays down even when it has spin, where the leopard could skip away

I bought a spider and a roc at the same time. They flew pretty similarly for me. I felt I could control the roc a little better, so the spider went in the bin. If you want something significantly less stable than a roc, throw a shark or a skeeter, not a spider. You might want to take a look at a buzz too. Although my elite X one flies almost as stable as my roc, I bet in a less stable plastic it might be perfect for you. I think just about every serious DG player should try a roc and a buzz at some point. There's a reason people talk about them so much.

The champ panther is MUCH less stable than the spider. Not close at all. More like a faster stingray.

I love the feel of the Champion Spider, but I use it mostly for long putts and approach shots. I do find it's very good for those, but I haven't used it enough in other situations to offer any other insight.

The spider is very straight. It is one of the most stable disc you can get. It will fade off a little at the end, but no where near as hard as a Roc in my opinion. I thought it was a great straight mid, and I only switched to the Buzzz because I could throw it farther. In terms of a flight path like a leopard, depending on how hard you throw, you would probably want something more understable.

I've never thrown a Panther, so I cannot comment on that.

I will have to agree that the spider will be slightly more stable. I have thrown MOST all the midrange by Innova, and a few Discraft, and if you do NOT want to throw roc/buzz, then my suggestion for a straighter disc with less stability would be Panther and Coyote. For MY throwing style <RHBH> throwing flat and level both are consistently straight. The difference to me is speed of flight. The Panther is a much faster disc, however, I can make the Coyote do whatever I want AND hold the line while doing it, but it is VERY SLOW. The Coyote also has better glide. <Both are Champion my panther and coyote and both are right at 173-175 g>. I also did enjoy the skeeter, however, after a few tree hits, well ok many tree hits, it tended to get"flippy", and in that it was star plastic. I got a 2nd skeeter and this did the same as the first, so I gave up.
Hope that helps out some!!

If it aint broke don't fix it.

If you love your Leapard and it does what you want stick with it. Try utilizing your putter more as well, I've seen guys consistently throw over 300' with great control with their putter. Aggravating because I'm throwing a driver and getting out thrown with a putter, but that just shows what can be done with practice. All that said try the panther because it doesn't roll away too much when it lands and has a very low profile rim for a mid which is great if you ever throw forehand.

I do like throwing my Classic Aviar, but I need to bridge the gap between it and the Leopard. I will probably try a Buzzz, Panther and Skeeter, but the Skeeters glide makes me think it might overlap with the Leopard.

I prefer the smaller diameter discs, but I think the Buzzz falls somewhere b/t the 21.2cm and 21.7cm diameters and shouldn't feel as different.

Thanks for the comments.

Hey, if you need a spider I have 1 already posted for sale and 2 more on their way.
new Champ yellow 175
used Champ pink 171
used Pro Line Candy 175

Let me know if you are interested in any of these