• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Throwing straight...

If I can get away with throwing a FH on tight tunnel shots that's what I go with. I find that its easier for me to hit the line when I'm facing the target the entire time. I can also throw a lot lower to the ground if there happens to be a low ceiling as well. Its all about trying different things and finding the right combination that works for you.

Like several others have said I like to hyzer flip a fairway driver. I use a cline fd on shots 275 plus. As for about 250 I just use a beat in z buzzz.... below 250 I throw. Wizards flat and hard. As others have stated its about good footwork and keeping your disc on the line. Plus having a good relationship with your discs to understand how to throw them.

I played an ice bowl open division, and the guys were throwing air bounces like cake. Is that a shot that's generally considered necessary?

Great point I had somehow not thought about before. The fact that so many open guys have bags with older molds is mostly due to comfort and feel. When I had to switch over my entire bag to swedish plastic these past few weeks for the new season I realized - I've been throwing the exact same stuff for 5 years with almost no change. Aside from moving between plastics (from D to ESP Zone), nothing had changed. I don't know how so many Ams do this all the time floating new plastics in and out of their bags with the changing trends! I'm thoroughly enjoying the whole new bag of discs, but man it is frustrating sometimes. :)

I've been playing with Swede plastic for over 3 years, and finally have nailed a bag down for over a year and man what a difference I feel now than then. I'm way more comfortable in shot and disc selection due to having these molds for some time.

Time and repetition go a long way, never underestimate field work. Though running tunnel shots can be hard, but if you can find a playground by you, use swing sets or other playground items to hone angles and tunnels.

btw, if you ever find yourself coming up into MI, give me a holla. I'd love to play a round with a fellow team member.

Yes! This is definitely the biggest thing. It's really just physics. I was doing moderate with spin until just recently I played with a pro. After emulating his runup/throwing style, there was a noticeable improvement in spin on my throws. My max distance has improved a little, but my golf distance made a huge leap forward. Not trying to brag, but I was amazed at how flat my Volt would fly for the distance it did. I wasn't even releasing on a hyzer. It actually caused a problem on a hole where I was expecting it to fade sooner but it didn't. I'm ok with that kind of a problem tho. The right disc helps, but it won't make a difference if you can't get spin on it.

Agreed, more spin = more stability.

By far, the straightest disc I own from start to finish is my Innova Star Mako (mid-range). It's still pretty new to me, but out of the box, I've never seen such a straight flying disc before from start to finish with good glide to boot. It seems to be pretty reliable even in moderately windy conditions.

My straightest driver is my Champion Valkyrie on a hyzer-flip. You just have to be careful throwing into a headwind that you don't turn it over.

The key for me is to disc down and throw something under stable on a bit of a hyzer so it flips flat and stays flat for the rest if the flight..

This.

There are many discs who can do that shot, you just need to find the one that works for you.

Personaly, I have several discs that I use for that shot.

to 250 feet : beat in Aviar
to 330 feet : comet
to 375 feet : leopard
more : valkyrie or nuke

Thanks for all the replies!

So I played a casual round yesterday, hyzer flipping my putters with more snap and the ones that weren't wild traveled much farther than I would've thought. Field practice....

I second the Mako. I used to have one in my bag, but thought that I "outgrew it". I think I might pick one up.

I agree about the Mako. Super straight flying disc. However, I have trouble releasing it cleanly sometimes. It'll often cling to my fingers and go right of the direction I'm aiming. The Axis is incredibly close tho, if not just as straight. And it feels much more comfortable to me.

Axis goes straight for me, too, when I throw it right.

Thursday and Friday I used my Blowfly 2 a lot. I was amazed at how flat and straight it could go. I was just using it because of lighter weight than the Axis (162g vs. 174g), its ability to sit down on a hill w/o rolling, and on Friday because I've heard that it floats. A large part of why I bought it was for wooded courses, but now I think it will almost always be in my bag.

Latest posts