• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

TimG can you just erase worthless reviews?

If there is one thing the internet has taught us it is don't hand out accomplishments for doing terrible things as there will be those special people who will feel the need to achieve them. Given the large amount of trolls already hiding under the DGCR bridge it won't be long before a competition ensues at who is the worst reviewer on DGCR is viewed as some sort of badge of honor.

:thmbdown: These work fine.

:hfive: I can see the flame wars now.

Why did I get a thumbs up? Can that be removed? I need to know who gave that thumb so I can kick their butt and then troll them endlessly. :wall:

It might be fun to watch for a little while, though.

If there is one thing the internet has taught us it is don't hand out accomplishments for doing terrible things as there will be those special people who will feel the need to achieve them. Given the large amount of trolls already hiding under the DGCR bridge it won't be long before a competition ensues at who is the worst reviewer on DGCR is viewed as some sort of badge of honor.

:thmbdown: These work fine.

and? :popcorn:

I personally dislike the thumbs down or not helpful. You can write a 100 word description for every hole on a course and some review nazi will still dislike it. It doesn't matter if they will never play the course. I'd guess the same person has played "1500 courses in 3 years" lol. I don't even like giving reviews for that reason.

I look at it as a kind of Crowd Sourcing of sorts.. kind of like Waze. I agree they should have played the course, but if a review was left in July, it's nice to get a confirmation or update on the course sometime later as it re-enforces or updates the course condition. It's cool.

Like anything you have to start somewhere, I feel anyway, we need to encourage reviews so we do get this updated course info. The more you do the better you get, and thumbs down are fine, as long as they are objective so the players/reviewers can learn and get better. It benefits us all the more interaction there is.

I personally dislike the thumbs down or not helpful. You can write a 100 word description for every hole on a course and some review nazi will still dislike it. It doesn't matter if they will never play the course. I'd guess the same person has played "1500 courses in 3 years" lol. I don't even like giving reviews for that reason.
I wouldn't let one thumbs down bother you too much. People vote the way they do for all sorts of weird reasons but I want to say those people are the minority on here. Judging by your recent review, that seems to be the case. It's a solid review and super helpful. It's stuff like that that people look for since a rating along can only say so much.

I actually use the thumb counts to give each review a "helpful" rating when compared to the rest of the reviews for the course. So that one thumb actually wouldn't effect you much there but it does bring the best reviews to the top so they do kind of serve a purpose in that regard.

Last edited:

First and foremost, I suggest writing (or not writing) reviews because it's what YOU want to do, and don't be overly concerned with what others think. Don't write them if/when you don't want to. It shouldn't feel like a chore. I took a break from reviewing for while. I got busy and then I simply didn't feel like it. Lately, I feel like it again. Realize you can't please everyone... and that you'll never really know why, either.

As for getting :thmbdown:'s all I can say is take 'em with a grain of salt. One or two not helpfuls to a bunch of helpfuls means you're on the right track. People's votes can be as flaky and varied people themselves (just look who's in the White House). My reviews read like essays, and I still get the occasional :thmbdown: ...perhaps because they're like essays. :eek: I suppose they're not helpful to readers who want a quick, easy read.

Just use the pattern of thumbs as a guide to tell you if you're on the right track, and find what works for you. Just make sure you actually provide real content, and describe your experience, describe what, even if it's been said before, because when a bunch of people see the same thing, it's probably true.

Last edited:
I personally dislike the thumbs down or not helpful. You can write a 100 word description for every hole on a course and some review nazi will still dislike it.
They might be disliking that because someone wrote a 100 word description for every hole on the course. It's a review for a disc golf course, not a Russian novel. It should be about quality, not quantity.

I find the majority of thumbs down, especially on a top rated course, come from one or two guys who disagree with your rating not being a 5, and who can't read questions very well. After all, it asks, "did you find this review helpful?", not "did you agree with the numerical rating this reviewer gave your beloved course?". Right, Bogey?

I strongly suspect that's the case. I don't know that I have any "findings" to support it.

we can't know a thumb-giver's intentions but that seems to be my experience in reviewing.

my reviews with the most thumbs down are for popular highly rated courses that i rated lower than the average

Pretty much. :\
Let's face it, if you share your opinions, a few people are bound to get pissed off.
For better or worse, I guess that's pretty solid evidence that DGCR's membership is typical of society as a whole. :|

If you're going to let a few anonymous nobodys control your actions, you might want to grow a thicker skin.

Last edited:
we can't know a thumb-giver's intentions but that seems to be my experience in reviewing.

my reviews with the most thumbs down are for popular highly rated courses that i rated lower than the average

Exactly my experience. I had one very critical review a short while ago that REALLY touched a nerve with a bunch of course homers apparently. That review was just as well thought out and well written as any other review I've ever put out there and I'm quite sure the thumb - downs were myopic homers who were thumbing it down not because it wasn't helpful but because they didn't agree with my *ahem* rather accurate assessment of their crappy course.

And honestly, I wear those thumb-downs with a badge of honor. Sort of validates my reviews in a indirect way in that unlike some prolific reviewers I do not hesitate to say what needs to be said even if it's a little unpleasant to the locals.

They might be disliking that because someone wrote a 100 word description for every hole on the course. It's a review for a disc golf course, not a Russian novel. It should be about quality, not quantity.
Guilty of writing novels myself, but I'm with Scarp on this one. It's one thing to describe a few holes that stood out to you (good or bad), but I've never been a fan of hole by hole descriptions. I want to know what the course is like, and if it's worth my time away from home.

Personally, I think that last part is key.
Who among us genuinely uses reviews to determine what courses they'll play in within a couple of hours of where they live?
Sure, we read reviews for local (and even not so local) courses, but how much do they actually influence your decision whether or not actually play them?

It's my belief that if there's a course in your area, you're gonna play it sooner or later, and bas how often you return on your experience. All reviews might do is help prioritize when you get out to play it... rather than whether you actually will or won't.

When I'm planning a trip, reviews and discussion (along with pics and descriptions) are pretty much all I have have to go on. Unless I have oodles of time, I'm specifically deciding what to courses to hit or skip... perhaps even which cities/states/route.

Pardon the thread drift, but my point is travelers look for summarized info about the factors that matter to them. Tough to map out a trip based on detailed hole by hole descriptions. That's my take, at least.

Last edited:
Why? You can revise them.

Why? Well, two years into this sport looking back they are absolutely terrible reviews. Additionaly, i dont see myself as much of a reviewer, and dont have any intention of reviewing. One place i reviewed i dont live anywhere near anymore so cant really update somewhere i havent been in a year. I just think my terrible newbie reviews from two years ago fall into the "not helpful" category. They only have thumbs downs anyway. Theyre clearly terrible reviews and ought to be deleted.

Why? Well, two years into this sport looking back they are absolutely terrible reviews. Additionaly, i dont see myself as much of a reviewer, and dont have any intention of reviewing. One place i reviewed i dont live anywhere near anymore so cant really update somewhere i havent been in a year. I just think my terrible newbie reviews from two years ago fall into the "not helpful" category. They only have thumbs downs anyway. Theyre clearly terrible reviews and ought to be deleted.

Reviews from a newbie's perspective? All the more reason to keep them. Think of how much different you perceive the one nearby course now compared to two years ago.

For folks who don't have much to say, I think the wall posts is the way to go. If you aren't really going to review but just want to say something that you think people might want to know (e.g. they didn't let you play because you weren't a camper) then why not just post it?

Latest posts