• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] TL3 - Evolution of the TL

Had a 166 that had some turn and little fade, flew like my S-FD without the glide. I ended up trading it off for a 175.

Love the TL3, it's my main fairway driver now, very predictable, holds up to a decent wind, very versatile and forehands well too.

I picked up an orange 171 tl3 when they first came out and was disappointed at how much fade it had and then a couple of weeks ago snagged a yellow 166 with some league vouchers...

I don't know if my 171 was a freak or what, but it was more overstable than most of the teebirds I've got. The 166 was exactly what I was looking for, very minimal turn and minimal fade. And the biggest thing for me...flat with a flat wing...super comfy forehand grip with a dead straight flight. The closest thing I've found prior to that was a second run fd, but fresh they've got mode fade than what I'm wanting.

I love Star TLs. I have a GStar TL and it's okay but I like the Star TLs better. I have not thrown a TL3.

I do wonder if I already have a TL3 in my bag... flat speed-8 disc... it's called the "MVP Amp" (yes, I'd imagine the Volt is a better comparison, but you get the general idea of what I'm saying, I hope...)

I love Star TLs. I have a GStar TL and it's okay but I like the Star TLs better. I have not thrown a TL3.

I do wonder if I already have a TL3 in my bag... flat speed-8 disc... it's called the "MVP Amp" (yes, I'd imagine the Volt is a better comparison, but you get the general idea of what I'm saying, I hope...)

I wouldnt compare the Volt to the TL at all. For MVP I'd say the switch would be close. Maybe even a lighter Servo

The TL/TL3 is one of those discs that I love, but dont think I'll ever find a need for. Between my Rivers, TB and Eagle theres no shot left uncovered. To me the TL is the beginner TB, or the KC Roc of fairways - max weight fresh, couple seasoned ones and a beat to hell one for the fairway cycle. Add in a max weight champ TB or a banshee to top things off. hmm.....

The TL/TL3 is one of those discs that I love, but dont think I'll ever find a need for. Between my Rivers, TB and Eagle theres no shot left uncovered. To me the TL is the beginner TB, or the KC Roc of fairways - max weight fresh, couple seasoned ones and a beat to hell one for the fairway cycle. Add in a max weight champ TB or a banshee to top things off. hmm.....

I thought Star TLs were going to be in my bag forever. They fly wonderfully but handle a headwind poorly while a worked-in Star Teebird will have a similar flight but more resistance to wind.

I thought Star TLs were going to be in my bag forever. They fly wonderfully but handle a headwind poorly while a worked-in Star Teebird will have a similar flight but more resistance to wind.

I agree. Not the best windy day disc. I still like TLs, but my fairway set up is pretty much set right where I want it, and although I would love to add a TL or two, I dont see myself taking anything out to fit them in.

So, before I ask permission to buy yet more discs, how do these fly compared to a mid-160's Star Teebird (I just got 2 - 167g 'birds last week)?

So, before I ask permission to buy yet more discs, how do these fly compared to a mid-160's Star Teebird (I just got 2 - 167g 'birds last week)?

I'll be able to give something of an answer after I get my Star TL3s and take them to the range and try them out. I'll take my Champ Teebird+ and Factory Second Star Teebird (which is 167g) along for direct comparison.

Full disclosure, have not thrown these. I am going against my better judgement and commenting anyway - I checked out a few Star TL3s in the shop today. First I will say they were somewhat champy star, with the white star and I believe yellow being a tad more translucent than typical star. Second, as I have observed in GStar TL3s, they are the domiest of any 3 mold I have ever seen. Keep in mind, I have only ever seen very domey TLs in the wild, and these were a bit flatter, but yeah.

I don't personally go wild for the 3 mold fairways, but if I were to buy another TL tomorrow it would be the TL3 because I assume they will have the slight dome I want, but less intense than the stock TLs.

I picked a 169 up and it has the same dome as pfn TL's, a slightly narrower rim (speed 8?) but you can tell from the shape of the rim that it's going to be more HSS than the TL. Should throw accordingly but tomorrow I'll be giving it a whirl.

Whoa! Sunday delivery of packages by the USPS! And along came two Star TL3s today, one in pink (162g) and one in white (167g).

The plastic feels really good. Not "soft" but nice and firm (i.e. more towards Champion than GStar). The tops are not flat like my GStar TL3. They have a bit of dome, but they are not the "Archangel" tops the TLs are.

Hopefully after the aftermath of the recent winter storm cleans up, I'll be able to get out and throw the TL3s and see if they are what I hoped they would be, or better or worse...

Innova be like: here are some not so domey TL's. Let's mark them as TL3 to get rid of extra stock.

They made the TL that way on purpose then just renamed them top make more money. It is the same thing they did with the Shark as the Champion plastic would not dome up for the old Champion Sharks, look at one of those online. The old champion Sharks are a 3 that is made now.