• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] TL3 - Evolution of the TL

Basically I threw TeeBirds for a long time, but I never did click with them. Last year I had one of those "a guy wanted a disc I had and had nothing I wanted to trade for it but he seemed like a decent guy so I traded for a disc I didn't want" scenarios. Does this happen to other people or is it just me? Anyway, I ended up with a G* TeeBird3, figured it couldn't be that bad, right? The thing flew like a Gator for me. :eek:

So now I'm just trolling around here trying to figure out how the TL3 fits in here. Is it's closer to a TL (which I like) or the TeeBird3 (which I hated.).

So now I'm just trolling around here trying to figure out how the TL3 fits in here. Is it's closer to a TL (which I like) or the TeeBird3 (which I hated.).

My 2 cents:

The TL3 for me showed a smidgeon of turn in Star plastic whereas recent runs of TLs have been a little more OS and no turn...like a Teebird but without the excess fade. The TL3 is probably the best fairway Innova has made in recent years IMO...and it's a pretty under the radar mold. I'm not a fan of it in GStar because they tend to be on the domey side...making them more or less a GStar TL.

I just scooped a 173g Star TL3 to see what the hype was about from on here and other sites/in the bags. Anyone know if it flies similar to a NS 1? Was looking to grab one of those until I saw what the going prices were for those.

My 2 cents:

The TL3 for me showed a smidgeon of turn in Star plastic whereas recent runs of TLs have been a little more OS and no turn...like a Teebird but without the excess fade.

^ I'm quoting this part because it EXACTLY matches my experience. FWIW I am throwing Star TLs in the upper 150s.

I just scooped a 173g Star TL3 to see what the hype was about from on here and other sites/in the bags. Anyone know if it flies similar to a NS 1? Was looking to grab one of those until I saw what the going prices were for those.

What's an NS 1? A new Prodigy disc?

I've been bagging a bright pink pearly champ TL3 for about a year and like it a lot. Out of the box much straighter than a fresh champ teebird. It's that awesome transition if regular champ to luster, so it's got some gumminess to it.

Definitely an understatedly awesome disc. I had some TL3's custom stamped for a tournament and received some from that same run, so now I've got some backups.

Last couple of years I've rotated between a handful of fairway lineups. Pretty much set right now with beat pro leopard, luster L3, champ TL3, and a royal rage. I primarily throw forehand, so flatter bottom wings feel better in the hand. Got that covered with different stabilities. Couple different FD variants and the Exodus were in the mix also, but both require a bit more work tracking down flatter ones.

I've been worrying that Stags are going to go out of production. Anybody thrown both Stags and TL3s/TLs? How do they compare? Seems like there's a lot of love for TL3s right now, so it could be a Stag replacement if Westside ends up axing them.

I've been worrying that Stags are going to go out of production. Anybody thrown both Stags and TL3s/TLs? How do they compare? Seems like there's a lot of love for TL3s right now, so it could be a Stag replacement if Westside ends up axing them.

Depends a lot on the stag I think. I have an older run that is very stable, even with some wear, some are very flippy out of the box (lighter weights especially). I've thrown a couple star TLs.
They are a straighter disc. Less turn than a stag and possibly less fade, depending on the stag. TL also has less glide.

Haven't thrown a tl3

I used to throw some VIP Stags and Champ TL. The main two things I would say are the Stag has more glide and more side to side movement. If you like to hyzerflip things then the Stag is better. TL is basically a straight line point and shoot, so better if you are throwing flat through a gap.

Would be a shame if the Stag went OOP. One of the best Westside discs IMO.

EDIT: pretty much like what Yxebrew said, but also with the discs in Champ/VIP plastic.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, that's good feedback. I'm not looking to replace my Stags, but if they do go OOP (Westside was supposed to release their OOP list like 6 months ago, and Stags aren't great sellers) then I think the TL/TL3 would be the frontrunner.

I've been bagging a bright pink pearly champ TL3 for about a year and like it a lot. Out of the box much straighter than a fresh champ teebird. It's that awesome transition if regular champ to luster, so it's got some gumminess to it.

Definitely an understatedly awesome disc. I had some TL3's custom stamped for a tournament and received some from that same run, so now I've got some backups.

Last couple of years I've rotated between a handful of fairway lineups. Pretty much set right now with beat pro leopard, luster L3, champ TL3, and a royal rage. I primarily throw forehand, so flatter bottom wings feel better in the hand. Got that covered with different stabilities. Couple different FD variants and the Exodus were in the mix also, but both require a bit more work tracking down flatter ones.

I wish I threw TL3's because of that awesome gummish champ lusterish run. Best plastic innova has made in years. Wish they made eagles in that plastic. The firebirds in that run are great too.

I wish I threw TL3's because of that awesome gummish champ lusterish run. Best plastic innova has made in years. Wish they made eagles in that plastic. The firebirds in that run are great too.

I have about 6 Firebirds in that plastic and they are great. I dabbled with the TL3 last summer and ended up with 4 of the lustery champs. Hanging onto them cuz the plastic is awesome. Agree with the folks that see a straight flight with mild fade with the champ TL3, completely disagree that the flight mirrors the Dark Maul 2.

I've recently gotten into some TL3's. Currently have two Champions, both in my bag even. A 167g, flatish and a max weight domey. They are absolutely fantastic. Great glide, enough stability to be reliable and no too fast to not be controllable. They pair pretty much perfect with my PD's. I really hope there will be some actual Luster TL3's at some point.

Yeah, I think most people couldn't tell the difference between this newer blend and the old 11x era pearly stuff. The newer run might be just a fair firmer but not by much. Visibly the newer stuff isn't quite as pearly (TL3's at least) but I'm ok with that. Haven't been into a shop lately but for a while I was seeing some of the lighter weight Wysocki T3's in that same blend. I've got some luster T3's that are a bit firmer than the blended ones.

I agree though, eagles in that blend would be awesome. Part of the reason I settled on the L3/TL3/FD2 combo was the plastic blends of those particular fairways.

Not everybody likes pro plastic, but the gummier stuff lately is pretty awesome also. Fairly durable compared to previous runs. Got a small stack of pro destroyers in that blend.

Yeah, I think most people couldn't tell the difference between this newer blend and the old 11x era pearly stuff. The newer run might be just a fair firmer but not by much. Visibly the newer stuff isn't quite as pearly

Yea, 11x is where my mind goes with this plastic. It feels and looks a bit different but its the closest thing to it. Im sure when this plastic degrades over the next decade then it will become even more similar to the old stuff. Innova needs to make more discs in that plastic.