• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

To Gimme or not to Gimme?

Do you feel a gimme is part of the game?

• Yes, under 10 feet is an auto gimme.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • No, Make the shot if you can't reach out and hit chain.

Votes: 105 84.7%
  • I could care less.

Votes: 14 11.3%

• Total voters
Yes.....in fact the chart looks like we're collectively giving gimmes the finger.

I have one friend who is always taking gimmies from way to far or missing it off the basket and saying im counting that. One time last week he had a horrible drive then he makes a great second about ten feet and says im not putting that. WHAT!? how can you not finish and pull of your par. This is only a big deal to me cause he is the only one of my buddies that is at my skill level, and yeah i am competing everytime out regardless of anthing. I was the kid in gym class yelling at the lazy kids for hurting the team. The thing is we will hit up three courses and then at the end of the day he wins by a stroke or two and im like **** if i woulda just picked up my disc on half my putts i coulda won. After this whole gripe i have to let him play the way he plays or he gets ****ty and its much better if he keeps his head in it.

The gimmie range varies from person to person when we play. For the most part we are very forgiving but there are those times. 10 foot hell no, not when there is money on the line

Me and my buddies tend to gimme under two conditions. It's parked under the basket or when somebody's pissed off. We'll pick it up and say "you're in" and give 'em a chance to cool off. Competition/money...hell no!

I still think there is no such thing as a gimme. Make the putt and shut up. Play the game. Free throws in basketball can not be 'gimmed' for a reason. Sure, they are easy, but they still must be made because SOMETIMES you miss. Games are won and lost because people mess up and a missed 5' putt can be the difference betwen winning and losing. I say outlaw the Gimme!

Dude! Relax.....If you're hoping to win on a missed five footer it doesn't say much about your day. Five feet is joke. I can reach five feet.

I just remembered one time I did take a gimmie. I had a 5 footer and the guy I was playing with started speaking right before I released and I fudged it up. I said 'oh well' but he felt bad and insisted I don't take the extra stroke.

I have one friend who is always taking gimmies from way to far or missing it off the basket and saying im counting that. One time last week he had a horrible drive then he makes a great second about ten feet and says im not putting that. WHAT!? how can you not finish and pull of your par. This is only a big deal to me cause he is the only one of my buddies that is at my skill level, and yeah i am competing everytime out regardless of anthing. I was the kid in gym class yelling at the lazy kids for hurting the team. The thing is we will hit up three courses and then at the end of the day he wins by a stroke or two and im like **** if i woulda just picked up my disc on half my putts i coulda won. After this whole gripe i have to let him play the way he plays or he gets ****ty and its much better if he keeps his head in it.
i dont think your friend understands gimmes your not supposed to pick up your own disc , usually someone will ask you if you want them to tap it in for you to save time or save you the walk as they know you can make that putt. and another thing how come knowone ever putts 5feet on these polls to me thats as far as tap in should be .

Dude! Relax.....If you're hoping to win on a missed five footer it doesn't say much about your day. Five feet is joke. I can reach five feet.

Five feet was an example. I am relaxed, the point is why gimme at all? If its a gimme, then just putt the disc. Don't tell me you're in a rush and want to move to the next hole. Relax, play, have a good time, no need to rush. Make the putt.

i dont think your friend understands gimmes your not supposed to pick up your own disc , usually someone will ask you if you want them to tap it in for you to save time or save you the walk as they know you can make that putt.

I with you. Nobody gives themselves a gimme. That's rude and unsportsmanlike. I will occasionally give a gimme, but only in casual play. If pride or money is on the line, it ain't in 'till you throw it in.

when i started playing, you played by yourself or paid to play..it has been for fun and always will be...just some people are more competitive than you and your friends, that's all..

Yep, I don't compete for the reasons I explained. But, I understand those that do... fair enough?

I know most people call it a gimme if you can reach the chains with the disc. I only take a "gimme" if I'm able to touch the bottom of the basket with my disc from over the basket rim, showing that I am able to drop the disc into the basket. Hitting chains doesn't count as a hole-out, as I have hit chains plenty of times and not holed-out.

That being said, I wouldn't look down on someone for taking a gimme on a 5'. I agree with many before me who say that the number 1 reason to play DG is for the FUN! Play how you wish casually, but when playing for dough or something offical do it the right way. Hole out every time!

When playing by myself I never do gimmies as far as not putting goes. I will however do kind of a walking putt within 5ft just to speed it up a bit.

When playing with someone else it is different. If there is a hole where you have to double back or something of that sort we will normally give gimmies just to give the other person a break. There is actually one hole where you can completely bypass the hole after the drive if you park it. :)

i played in a doubles tourney today and my partner and i had a disc 5 ft from the basket and technically it was my partners shot since we were playing from my lie...but i picked it up and put it in the basket as my partner was allready walking to the next hole....and a guy tried to stroke me for it and caused a big scene about it.....WHATS UP WITH THAT?!?! it was pretty much a gimme, it definitely was in arms reach....

I'm guess you were playing alternate shot if not I don't think he can say anything to you.

I'm guess you were playing alternate shot if not I don't think he can say anything to you.

ive always played if we take my partners shot i shoot first, take my shot/ he shoots second shot first.....which is how i always play, except if your within arms reach of the basket, its not like someones goin to drop it before reaching their arm in the basket

Latest posts