• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Top 5 Ohio

Flip55

What is your Ohio top 5 course list? Why?

Also what are the worst courses you've played in the Buckeye state?

My top 5:
1. Deis Hill
2. Hoover Dam
3. Flat Rocks
4. Pickerington
5. Roscoe

Worst:
Boettler
Sabo
Minerva

Last edited:
I've only played 5 total in the Suckeye state...oops I mean Ohio.

Favorite: Mt. Airy Forest

Had a great time here, cool locals. Course itself is just a little overrated IMO, but it's still an overall quality course that's well up kept. Also has some really nice terrain that I didn't expect to see in Ohio. I would definitely go back and play again if I was in the area.

Worst: Fort Shawnee DGC

You can see every basket from every basket, and theres no obstacles. Not much more to say.

Hopefully I can get down there more this year to add to the list of 5.

Last edited:
I'll have to go with these five, in no particular order;

Forked Run
Pike Lake
Arboretum-Spiker
Brent Hambrick
Flat Rocks

...with honorable mention of Lobdell Reserve

I haven't played many of the poorly rated courses or any 9 holer's. There are still a couple local courses I have not played...ie Balgriffen and Pastime Park. Of the courses I have played, Sunbury was by far the worst.

i know its not a top ...was just asking....it was weired...i played there with my brother in 2008....

Alright! I've been waiting for this thread!

I'm about 15-20 courses away from my goal of playing every 18 hole course in Ohio. So I've hit just about all of em.

Top 5

Forked Run Reedsville
Mt. Airy Cincinnatti
Roscoe Ewing Medina
Pike Lake BainBridge
Brett Hambric Columbus

A few honorable mentions would be. The Players Club, Handyman Ace Hardware, Hocking College, Lobdell,

The most over rated is Deis Hill. It's really good but It didn't live up to the Hype

The 5 Worst

Fort Shawnee (no thought put into it)
Hudson Springs (no thought put into it)
Disctractions @ Hueston Woods SP (terrible shape)
Balgriffin ( I hate to rip on someones Eagle Scout project but it's small
and not fun)
Chestnut Ridge (Not really a course)

Hopefully I have them all done by the end of the summer

I have Gordy Holton at Delaware SP, Ohio Northern U and Players Club (once broken in) over Hambrick. Hambrick's claim is 27 holes, history plus some string for tighter OB at tournies. I think I might even like their West temp course about the same as the permanent course there for its variety. Not a fan of Carter in Bowling Green nor the routing at Marysville.

What??? Don't get me wrong, I love Delaware and Alum Creek, but there signage and navigation kinda blow. I don't know if its lack of funding or time, but they keep Hoover in way better shape. Also I think Hoover tops them because of the range of play. Except for complete noobs, anyone can enjoy a round at Hoover, the other two, Delaware and Alum Creek are tough, even advanced players could have a hard time at either of those courses.

Like I said, I'm not bashing them, they are definitely nice, challenging courses, but overall I think Hoover is just a cut above them for its beauty and playability.

Too many wide open holes at Hambrick mixed with wooded holes with too many blind & choked routes. Can't think of one candidate for a signature hole at Hambrick that hits all four of these criteria: interesting, challenging, fair and aesthetically good looking. What hole(s) do you think meet that? I think West Temp holes 15 (peninsula) & 17 (downhill), even hole 1 might be better than any on Hambrick other than not being par 4s.

Ive only played a handful but was for the most part pleasantly surprised with OHIO DG.
Mt Airy
OU-Chilicothe
Hocking College
Thompson Park
Pike Lake
Forked Run

All were solid plays with different feels. I thought Hocking College was the most fun. Mt Airy the best big open course. Forked Run and Pike Lake were both solid but a bit overrated nationally. (DGCR) Thompson Park was interesting as it was a work in progress with 9 beginnerish holes and then 18 more advanced holes making for a complete experience. (a bit confusing layout however) OU-Chilicothe was also better than I expected albeit some serious safety concerns.

The one I wanna play again is Hocking College.
Ohio has some unique courses that dont get much acclaim...good thread

I will agree they don't have a real "signature' hole, but to say that there are too many wide open holes is a little much. If I counted correctly there are 13 that could be considered wide open, keeping in mind that on a lot of them a bad shot could really suck. I counted 10 that are moderately wooded and 3 that are fairly wooded. Seems pretty balanced to me.

Like I said, I enjoy all of the courses, and would probably agree that Delaware and Alum Creek would be way better if they had any kind of decent/permanent tee signs and a little more maintenance. I guess its just all opinion though. The same way you think that Hoover is too open, people might think that Alum Creek is too wooded. I guess that's another reason I think Hoover might rate a tad higher with most crowds as well, there is a great mix, if you take a group there is at least holes everyone will enjoy playing even if they don't enjoy them all.

I don't object to wooded holes. Just that there are several blind shots and some fairways are too choked, typically with pine boughs. Holes 10 (second shot choked, first shot crummy landing area), 11 (OK), 12 (blind), 13 (both shots typically blind and choked), 14 (blind tee, second shot typically blind), 15 (choked & blind). Can't remember 16 & 17 clearly but at least one is blind. The wooded alphabet holes C, D & E are OK. The wooded fairways are mostly fair at Holton and Alum with a little limb tweaking still needed on a few holes. No question they need to get to the amenities level of Hambrick to be first class but I believe they have the potential in the design and aesthetics to surpass Hambrick.

I don't object to wooded holes. Just that there are several blind shots and some fairways are too choked, typically with pine boughs. Holes 10 (second shot choked, first shot crummy landing area), 11 (OK), 12 (blind), 13 (both shots typically blind and choked), 14 (blind tee, second shot typically blind), 15 (choked & blind). Can't remember 16 & 17 clearly but at least one is blind. The wooded alphabet holes C, D & E are OK. The wooded fairways are mostly fair at Holton and Alum with a little limb tweaking still needed on a few holes. No question they need to get to the amenities level of Hambrick to be first class but I believe they have the potential in the design and aesthetics to surpass Hambrick.

I agree that they have the potential, but Holton has been there a while and hasn't gotten any better, hopefully Alum Creek won't go down the same path. Although the lack of permanent tee signs and the way the have completely abandoned some of the short tees makes me wonder.

As for the "choked" fairways, I would agree that there are some tight, but not "choked", again could be just a matter of opinion. I do however think that if you you call the fairways at Hoover choked, you would have to agree that back 9, specifically 11, 12, 13, & 16, at alum creek are pretty tight themselves, with not a lot of opportunity to advance your disc if you get off the fairway. Like I said, I agree that they could be better than Hoover, but the likelihood of that happening is slim.

I wanted to ask also what you thought the signature hole of either of those courses are, especially alum creek? I can't think of a hole on The Players Course that fits your criteria either. There is 7, the big water hole, but the water is usually dirty with a fair amount of trash in and around the water, plus the hole is fairly short and even with my girly arm and I can land safely, meh just wondering.

Also, has anyone played the course near Springfield, Buck Ceek? When it went in it was a real piece, but its actually coming along quite nicely. The tees are all marked and they have done a nice redesign. Trash cans have been added at all the tees as well. Some concrete or the like out there and it could be a real nice one as well. No where near the top, but definitely worth playing or making the trip out there.

Last edited:
Top 5:
1. Pike Lake SP - Bainbridge, OH
2. Lake Shore Park - Ashtabula, OH
3. Brent Hambrick - Westerville, OH
4. Roscoe Ewing - Medina, OH
5. Belmont Park - Dayton, OH

Haven't really played any truly bad ones. Probably the worst one I have played would be Balgriffin Park, very, very short holes, but still great for someone that has never played to start at.
Belmont! Wow played there a handful of times and cant believe it made any ones top five. It was nothing more than a pitch and putt at a small community park. To each his own though.
Havent played alot in Ohio but Mt Airy and Fairborn are my two favorites.

Last edited:

Latest posts