• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Top 5 Ohio

I hadn't heard any buzz about Roscoe Ewing before I went. So I was shocked by how great it was

Send me a message when you go, I can't promise nothing but maybe we can finally play that round we discussed long long ago

Im all in brother.

In my mind, instantly if they poured like $10,000 into Sycamore Trails and Buck Creek they would make the top 5. Sycamore is void of any worthwile signage but the holes themselves are great! Buck Creek needs CONCRETE pads like no other course I know and some tee signs would be nice and they make these two courses make the top 5 easily.

Yeah, Deis I RATED high because it is so well kept and the tees are great. All that was top of the line, but I agree it seems overrated just because the overdone big open holes.

I love how people portray Deis as all long, open holes when in reality only 1/3 of the holes are long and open (and the majority of those 6 holes feature changes in elevation).

In my mind, instantly if they poured like $10,000 into Sycamore Trails and Buck Creek they would make the top 5. Sycamore is void of any worthwile signage but the holes themselves are great! Buck Creek needs CONCRETE pads like no other course I know and some tee signs would be nice and they make these two courses make the top 5 easily.

If you think those tees are bad you should check out Horns Hill in Newark. Another underrated course as well. If it had some concrete tee pads and a few trash cans it would rate a lot higher. Personally it is one of my favorites, but would need a lot of updating to make any kind of top 5 or 10.

Yep. Horns Hill is another nice course. I almost stated earlier that Buck Creek reminds me of Horns Hill.

Unfortunately, due to a failed levy, Horns Hill and Lobdell Reserve are indefinitley closed. This sucks. We had to park on the street at Horns Hill a few weeks ago and climb all the way up to the first tee. It's quite a hill. Hell, we didn't even know the baskets would be there until we got up.

In my limited overall experience these are my top 5 plus 1
Great Seal
Mt Airy
Englewood
Flat Rocks
Pike Lake
Miami University

Flat Rocks is worth the trip. There are a couple holes that are placed in open fields that some guys do not like, but most of those holes have a huge elevations and blind shots to deal with that make it challenging enough with out the need of trees to contend with. Good mix of wooded/open holes and a great use of elevation on this course. Very scenic.

Apparently I'm an idiot for not playing Flat Rocks yet, is it really that good?

It's just fun. The short course is pretty short...but it's fun. The long course lacks the rubber pads of the short course and it's more difficult to navigate...but its fun. It's not a pro caliber course by any means, but did I mention...IT'S FUN. You will enjoy your round, I pretty much guarantee it.

It's just fun. The short course is pretty short...but it's fun. The long course lacks the rubber pads of the short course and it's more difficult to navigate...but its fun. It's not a pro caliber course by any means, but did I mention...IT'S FUN. You will enjoy your round, I pretty much guarantee it.

Sounds like a nice course, but is it fun? :D

I love how people portray Deis as all long, open holes when in reality only 1/3 of the holes are long and open (and the majority of those 6 holes feature changes in elevation).

It might have been just walking up and down the hills, and a little bit of how far I can actually throw, but it just felt like a lot of open holes that the focus for me was to throw as far as I can and not so much get around obstacles.

Just after the first hole, though; there were a few that were fun when I think back about it, around the walking paths area, going through the Danhyzer, and the 2nd to last hole was kind of cool through the pine tress with death looking at you on the right side if you happened to pull it that way, would be a looooooooong walk.

Come to think of it, I do think its the walking up and down the big hills that makes you think its just so big. I need to get back there now that I throw 100' further.

If any of you have time by the end of this summer, Hit HAHFairborn again....it will be amazing! We have big plans for getting this course in amazing shape by the end of the summer. It is in it's "RAW" state right now but as most of HAH's followers have said...when we are finished, it may be in the Top 3 courses in the state.

See my signature for our website and more details!

I'll throw in a mention for Lincoln Park (Oak Ledges) in Massillon, a really nice and well maintained wooded technical course in a beautifully undulating setting.

Only been at it for about a year so I haven't ventured too far out of my area, but locally I think there are plenty of great options:

Arboretum-Spiker in Canton
Oak Ledges in Massillon
Deis Hill down in Dover
Wingfoot up in the Akron/Suffield area is a nice new course

Haven't made it over to Medina yet, but I'm glad to see it mentioned within this thread.
Also heard good things about the courses up in Parma and Warren.

I'll throw in a mention for Lincoln Park (Oak Ledges) in Massillon, a really nice and well maintained wooded technical course in a beautifully undulating setting.

Only been at it for about a year so I haven't ventured too far out of my area, but locally I think there are plenty of great options:

Arboretum-Spiker in Canton
Oak Ledges in Massillon
Deis Hill down in Dover
Wingfoot up in the Akron/Suffield area is a nice new course

Haven't made it over to Medina yet, but I'm glad to see it mentioned within this thread.
Also heard good things about the courses up in Parma and Warren.

I hadnt heard of Wingfoot. Might have to check it out. (along with a ton Im seeing posted about down in southern Ohio. I need to set up a road trip)

The one in Massilon is nice, but I always find myself if Im going that way just going a little further to Arboretum.

BTW. Anyone know if they expanded Arboretum yet or if they still plan to. Would make a day out if it if they do.

BTW. Anyone know if they expanded Arboretum yet or if they still plan to. Would make a day out if it if they do.

They're still planning to this year. They have all the new baskets and are waiting for the ground to thaw and better weather. The Hall of Chains tourney has been moved to the fall in order to be played on the new course(s).

Awesome. Would love to do an entire day and maybe cook out while there, then play some more. You have to reserve that pavillion; or I guess any of the ones around there?

I have only played 2 courses in Ohio, but they might be the best and worst in the state.

Forked Run State Park :thmbup:

Ohio University course :thmbdown:

While I don't live in Ohio, I have driven across the state probably 15 times in the last 20 years and have played 23 courses there. My top six are:

Mt Airy in Cincy
Deis in Dover
Oak Ledges in Massillion
Belmont in Dayton
Boyer in Tiffin
Spider in Akron

I shot one of my best rounds ever in any state at Ottawa in Toledo. My driving and especially long putts simply were on that day. Most of the other courses are simply average and I would not go back too since I'll be on my way to better DG destinations.

Having played ALL but 2 DGC's in Ohio. And according to the current DGCR, IMHO "my top 5" are:

city park # of holes

Ashtabula- Lake Shore Park 18
Massillon - Lincoln Park 18
Dover - Deis Hill 18
Nelsonville - Hocking College DGC 12
Mason - Mason Sports Park DGC 9

Last edited:

Latest posts