• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Understable discs?

O'Hair94

Im looking for a understable disc to use for longer holes (400+) I have nukes that I can FH pretty far (330-375) but Im looking for something that I can throw BH because my FH isnt consistant enough for my liking. Im looking for something that I can use untill I can develope a more powerful snap (I just switched my game to BH about a month ago)

Honestly, my absolute favorite long range Understable disc....D5.....best I've ever used, you need the arm for it though. I have a 400s 171g in light blue....not a Huge bubble dome, but a natural dome shape as the discs have....i really like it. I don't think it's all that popular....but I think its very comfortable. I have been looking for another like it for weeks. Its one of my most used long range discs....I can hyzerflip that thing deep S curve, holds smooth anny, and fades a touch at the end. It bombs....easily get it over 400. damn i want another D5.......

It is a wide rim. If it seems too wide rimmed or its hyzering out too early, try a thinner rim. Like a Krait, or Archon,

I've never thrown the D5, but it might be a good option. I have D4s, and they are pretty solid understable discs. They also have a 2.3cm rim compared to the D5's 2.4cm rim. Personally, I prefer 2.3s over 2.4s.

I also have Westside Kings in each plastic. The TP King is ridiculously understable, but if you figure out the hyzer angle to prevent it from burning, they will turn considerably and glide forever with little to no fade. The DD Trespass is my primary driver, and I max out at around 425' with that. I can get TP Kings out over 500'.

VIP Kings are much less understable and easier to control. They also fade more and glide less. I'm lucky to hit 450' with them. The Kings have a 2.3cm rim, same as the D4.

I also have a Star Katana (2.5cm rim) and Champ Vulcan (2.4cm rim). I find the Star Katana to be a little more understable than a VIP King, but less so than a D4. The Champ Vulcan is very close to a TP King, but with less glide.

During a round, I bag a VIP King and D4. If I could only carry one, it would probably be the D4. It has more turn, less fade, is slightly longer, and seems a tad less nose sensitive.

+1 for unLace. Bagged one this year, and am really liking it. Getting +50' on my blizzard katana. Don't have a strong arm, so hyzer flipping understable discs get me max distance.

+1 for unLace. Bagged one this year, and am really liking it. Getting +50' on my blizzard katana. Don't have a strong arm, so hyzer flipping understable discs get me max distance.

Same for me with regards to hyzer flipping understable discs. Love my UnLace, can shape beautiful turnover lines and has made being up around 350 on my max distance throws a consistent reality.

Im looking for a understable disc to use for longer holes (400+) I have nukes that I can FH pretty far (330-375) but Im looking for something that I can throw BH because my FH isnt consistant enough for my liking. Im looking for something that I can use untill I can develope a more powerful snap (I just switched my game to BH about a month ago)

Okay, try the unlace. The X-Link compound is very grippy yet durable, so it's very consistent. I can throw my unlace on a steep hyzer it'll flip up flat and slowly turn over.

I can also throw the unlace on very long forehand and backhand rollers. I use the backhand rollers for stiff headwinds. I use the forehand rollers for accurate placement on left-turning holes.

The UnLace is very understable, similar to Innova Mamba, however the Vibram X-Link compound holds up very well, and it's more consistent over-time. When you pick up a different unlace that's not yours, you know already what you're getting.

I read somewhere that "The Champ" said that the Stingray is the first disc he threw over 400 feet.

I use either a D4 or Champ Katana for this, but have heard great things about the Tern as well.

I love my Inertia. I have found the unlace to be way too understable for my liking

Comparison by Inbounds

Here is a comparison of the discs discussed so far:

Attachments

• Comparison of Understable DGCR Forum.jpg
    Comparison of Understable DGCR Forum.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 49
I'm going to go nontraditional and suggest a G* Valkyrie.
It will give you more control than some of the faster stuff while you're developing your BH, and could continue to be useful as you go. I've found it to be pretty spot on the numbers (-2,2) in G*, and I don't have a huge arm and can get it out over 400' on my best throws. It's not too flippy and has enough fade to be reliable. It's my "max d" driver.

i think Broken Shoulder has a great suggestion. Any Valk (Suggest Star or GStar), being a touch slower than the other suggestions, will be easier to get up to cruising speed and so will fly truer to it's flight numbers for a new BH player. These, in all likeliness, WILL go the furthest for you out of the suggested discs at this point in time. Hands down the BEST distance driver for a player that is new to big distance drivers or in transition from FH to BH.

I don't have that level of distance, but I find that slower and neutral stability discs fly better for these shots than actual u/s discs. For me, that looks something like throwing a stable Leopard at the distances I would throw a PD, or a seasoned Buzzz or Roc at fairway distance. I think the Valk is a good suggestion for your distance, seasoned Beasts too.

The speed 11+ understable discs in pro's bags are almost always utility discs for rollers and they use something beat or something slower and neutral for those long turnovers. Seems like they turn quick out of the hand, and if you have the arm for that speed range, they're going to be too u/s.