• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Understable midranges

i use a beat in dx roc, or a beat in hydra for understable midrange shots:)

I agree with a stingray, threy them for years. But Id go with a star plactic. Once its seasoned your in. But the last 2 yrs Iv been huck'n a GL Fuse, you cant loose with eather one.
PSSSSt, get the Fuse. :cool:

I use a Mako for straight to anny shots up to about the 260' range. I can make the disc work some serious magic for me, but I also used to really like the Stingray. It was an off chance that I had gotten a Mako from a tourney, and really liked it. I think a lot of it depends on what feels best in your hand, and is within weight you should really be throwing.

I think I may be looking to use two different discs for the shots I orginally described.

1) low ceiling tightly wooded anhyzer shots - slightly faster disc that turns right
2) open anhyzer shots around trees/obstacles - slower disc, holds line, stalls, and flattens at the end with no skip or rollaway.

1) Stingray. Get it in Star, since the DX will nose dive quicker and quicker as you use it.
2) Putter. I responded before with an Aviar, but this really sounds like what you need. It's a putter - so slow as sh** and a fatter rim then a mid that is less susceptible to skips or rollaways.

Definitely forehand at this power level is an easy shot to develop accurately.

And it's way more versatile and useful in the long run b/c your stance and vision aren't compromised as much as backhand. Eyes forward, feet planted.

I forehand a Tracker up to 275-ish. "driver rims" seem easier to control than "midrange rims".

I've found an X Comet working nicely for this shot, though in reality, this is putter territory. Try something mildly understable. A beadless Aviar'll do it, though I find this disc easy to knife edge into the ground if over anny'd. Maybe a heavy one. Buzzz SS is good too. Forehand would be nice though. I find it difficult to shoot any non overstable drivers forehand, but if you can figure it out, you're money. You're so money, and you don't even know it.

Champion Panther or Z Glide are very good under-stable mid-range discs (very similar rims, the main difference between them is total disc diameter). They will turn-over for almost anybody, and are great discs for a new player to learn how to turn a disc over and work lines, as well as begin to get used to a driver-like rim. Also, if you throw them clean they can go pretty far, so quite versatile in the operable distance range=less discs needed in the bag=less tired from humping your bag around.

The Comet is a fantastic training disc, because it isn't forgiving to sloppiness in release or form. But these qualities limit its usefulness in a tournament round, where having forgiving discs is the most important thing.

Thanks for all the input so far. I do throw forehand quite a bit, being a lefty I find this to be a huge advantage. Players that I usually throw with say that I'm never at a disadvantage cause I throw sidearm on righty holes, and then I get called a cheater lefty on the lefty holes, it makes me laugh each time.
For forehand, I typically throw either a Nuke or Destroyer for long distance, a stalker for about 250-300, and then a wasp, drone, or aftershock for shorter distances. Sometimes though there's a shot where I need a short anhyzer without throwing a forehand shot. The lefty forehand comes out clockwise, while the lefty anhyzer will come out CCW. I find it to be useful to throw both depending on the slope and speed of the ground. For now I'm working on using putters for the short distance anhyzers. I would like to get my hands on a beat in Champ Coyote.

Another vote for Fuse. Just put one in the bag and oh my, what was I waiting for. Tons of glide and goes where I put it. Easily bends right hand corners with just a lil snap, beautiful....

I'll have to look into the Fuse, a lot of people have been suggesting it, and I would like to try out a Latitude disc. Any suggestions on which plastic to get?

I'll have to look into the Fuse, a lot of people have been suggesting it, and I would like to try out a Latitude disc. Any suggestions on which plastic to get?

I have a Gold Line. Its some of, if not the best looking plastic going. But they have Opto, which is close to indestructible. Its similar to Champ/Star, Elite Z/ESP and so on....but they seem better. I'm new to lat stuff myself but I believe they have three(?) mids in their lineup. Pain (overstable), Core (stable) and Fuse (under).

Plenty of better info here on any disc/plastic, just search for the lat threads.

Get your wallet out!

i have the Fuse and Core. love the Core...still messing with the Fuse, had a great day on the course with it but had a poor field practice session with it.