• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Using Less Discs?

Husky22

Ok so I've noticed recently that when I go out I just load 7-8 different drivers in my bag just because I don't see the need to leave them at home. Then when I get out there I'll give them all a drive or two in situations that don't necissarily call for them just because they are there. Would I be better off to just bring 1 or 2 drivers that I consistently throw well rather than bringing a bunch of drivers that I don't throw very well.

i take a wraith and a boss and a putter, i am trying to get a TL and a Firebrid, then ill take 5 discs with me lol

I played with four discs (Buzzz, Aviar, TeeBird, and Valkyrie) for two years. By the end of those two years, I could get around any course in my area pretty competently. I'm starting to whittle my bag down to fewer molds right now because I realized I didn't throw half of my bag. Mostly my bag is now my old favorites with some new ones I'm trying out to see if they fit.

Yah I'm more of an impulse buyer who doesn't have much idea what he wants when he goes to get a disc so I have a lot of overlap I'm sure....

Champ Sidewinder (go to driver)
Stalker (straight as an arrow, get out of trouble/short hole driver)
XL (see stalker)
FLX Avenger (good distance but fades really hard late)
Champ Valk (see FLX Avenger but with more D)
R-Pro Boss (Farthest disc but already getting beat up with little use and it needs to much room to work for my liking)
11x Champ Teebird (good overall disc but i like my stalker more)

Buzz (straight as an arrow holds its line amazingly most accurate disc in the bag)
Cro (long range midrange for me can bring it back right but it holds a hyzer very well and i can make it do anything for me)

Wizard putter (amazing putter will stay loyal to the wizard till it fails me)

also have a

Champ Boss (LOL)
DX Teerex (good fairway driver i guess)
DX firebird (makes a nice S curve but other than that pretty useless)

I'm keeping my sidewinder, stalker, buzz, cro, and wizard no matter what so you tell me where im weak and what needs to be cut. any help is appreciated, only been playing 2 months but have made good progress every time out it seems. Drives prolly (225-275 depending on the disc, but can occasionaly poke it out there 300+) play predominantly RHBH with a little RHFH mixed in.

Take the Teebird out if you perfer stalker over it, the teerex prolly isent doing much, the firebird is a good into the wind disc, learn how 2 throw it for cearten situations, othar than that, practice with what u got

Lets see
Distance and moderate overstable: 3 surges (one is a SS but I can barely tell the difference)
very overstable: 2 destroyers
Understable: avenger SS (just replaced my valk)
Overhand: Xtra

mids:
stable: Buzz
overstable: MRX

putt: magnet, titanic

I would say I have reduced a little but find use for all of these on most courses. I think the key is to practice with them a lot so you know when to throw them.

Same with most of the guys that posted ahead of me. Started out with a valk, shark, and magnet. Lost my magent (don't ask me how.....:confused:) and then used just a valk and shark.

After becomming a member of this site though I've purchased 7 new discs because half the fun of disc golf is seeing different flights and angles of newer discs!

Long story short, use what you're comfortable with. No reason to lug extra weight when you don't use the discs.

I see your point, I starting buying discs left and right, had about 60 discs and carried about 20. Some were just worn out so they sat in my garage for my friends to use. But anyway, I realized that I was trying to justify carrying all those discs so i would throw them all during a round and I saw my scores starting to go higher. So I started carrying less and throwing about 4-6 drivers, 2 mid range and 2 putter, while keeping a few discs like a whippet for emergency shots. I play at a course that has alot of trees, it is basically carved out of a forest with alot of hills and creeks in it so I use different discs for holes where there are no trees and ones where trees are right off the tee pad. So I would say if you are throwing on an open course, 3-5 discs is fine, but if you start playing course that are heavily wooded and you have certain discs for a particular hole then carry more.

When I get a new disc I take it to the field and throw it flat(in my mind at least), and see what it does, then I throw with slight to more exaggerated hyzer/anhyzer til I see what it does.

I carry 16 discs, and use 10-12 of them in a given round. I'm trying to whittle down, if I had to my bag would be, 12x teebird champ, z buzz, kc pro roc, star teebird, star sidewinder, champ gator, star aviar bb, dx aviar, champ leopard, champ firebird and champ beast.

I'm sure it will be less molds and same amounts of discs eventually.

Yah I'm more of an impulse buyer who doesn't have much idea what he wants when he goes to get a disc so I have a lot of overlap I'm sure....

Champ Sidewinder (go to driver)
Stalker (straight as an arrow, get out of trouble/short hole driver)
XL (see stalker)
FLX Avenger (good distance but fades really hard late)
Champ Valk (see FLX Avenger but with more D)
R-Pro Boss (Farthest disc but already getting beat up with little use and it needs to much room to work for my liking)
11x Champ Teebird (good overall disc but i like my stalker more)

Buzz (straight as an arrow holds its line amazingly most accurate disc in the bag)
Cro (long range midrange for me can bring it back right but it holds a hyzer very well and i can make it do anything for me)

Wizard putter (amazing putter will stay loyal to the wizard till it fails me)

also have a

Champ Boss (LOL)
DX Teerex (good fairway driver i guess)
DX firebird (makes a nice S curve but other than that pretty useless)

I'm keeping my sidewinder, stalker, buzz, cro, and wizard no matter what so you tell me where im weak and what needs to be cut. any help is appreciated, only been playing 2 months but have made good progress every time out it seems. Drives prolly (225-275 depending on the disc, but can occasionaly poke it out there 300+) play predominantly RHBH with a little RHFH mixed in.

Sidewinder, Buzz, Cro, and the Wizard are all in your power range. I'm not sure about the Stalker because the GGGT list hasn't been updated to show it yet. According to the list the XL is in your range and the Teebird is just above it. I would use the Firebird as a headwind or a trick shot driver. Other than that get some field practice in if you can.

Does your area have a local club or leagues? If so get in with the people who have been around and watch/play with them. They can help with your form and open your eyes to different things.

dont wanna read a whole lot today, however ive taken about 5-7 discs outta my tourney bag. yesterday i was doin WORK at my local 18 with:

star fl
star boss
Dx teerex
buzz gt
r-pro dart
pro starfire ---and that was about it and shot -6

Ok so I've noticed recently that when I go out I just load 7-8 different drivers in my bag just because I don't see the need to leave them at home. Then when I get out there I'll give them all a drive or two in situations that don't necissarily call for them just because they are there. Would I be better off to just bring 1 or 2 drivers that I consistently throw well rather than bringing a bunch of drivers that I don't throw very well.

I think you answered your own question.

I played with four discs (Buzzz, Aviar, TeeBird, and Valkyrie) for two years. By the end of those two years, I could get around any course in my area pretty competently. I'm starting to whittle my bag down to fewer molds right now because I realized I didn't throw half of my bag. Mostly my bag is now my old favorites with some new ones I'm trying out to see if they fit.

I'm in the exact situation. I'm slowly whittling down my bag. I've still got 5 putters I don't want to get rid of though :(

YES - go with less i personally started using a smaller bag - and depending on the course i'm playing i'll take some discs out so there is no chance i will use them.

Couldn't agree more with fewer discs. I also will exchange discs based upon the course I am playing.

I haven't read the rest of the messages posted in this thread but some advantages for me have been:

-lighter bag conserves energy letting me play more golf or be fresher during the later rounds of a tournament

-makes you really know the few discs you carry thus teaching you to use some of them in ways you may not otherwise with a large bag

I have watched many of my friends go to smaller bags with less plastic over time as they see that they don't typically use half of the discs in their bag except for rare circumstances.

I still usually carry a large bag, but that is mostly because I take a lot of stuff with me (phone, wallet, keys, cigs, lighter, water bottles, etc) so it is nice to have a bag with a lot of room. I've filled it less molds and more duplicates though. Keeps the disc choices small still, even though I carry 21 discs.

i am sitting in the same boat . . . i think i carry to many discs. well thats what every one i play with says. This is whats in the bag
Star TEEREX
Star XCAL
Pro Wraith
Champ FB (x2)
Star Max
Champ Monarch
Champ Leopard
Star Stingray
Star TL
Star Gator
ESP Wasp
ESP Nebula
ESP Buzz
ESP Meteor
SSS Voodoo
Chalky Wizard
Clear Evol. Warlocks.

What do y'all think? to many?

don't really know a whole lot about Innova but I would say that from the flight chart several of your discs seem to overlap. For example the Teerex and the Xcal appear to be very similar in their characteristics. Someone posted a link to discgolfreview article about what you should have in your bag I believe its on the first page. I always think about it this way, if I can't describe how their flights are different than I don't need both.

Latest posts