• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Using Less Discs?

I don't think that you've got too many, because you got a disc for a lot of different shots in there. Although I don't know what the Nebula and Meteor are doing for you that you cant do with the wasp and buzzz. You seem to have a lot of overstable discs but I would say just to play better than those guys and that will keep them quiet.

I don't think that you've got too many, because you got a disc for a lot of different shots in there. Although I don't know what the Nebula and Meteor are doing for you that you cant do with the wasp and buzzz. You seem to have a lot of overstable discs but I would say just to play better than those guys and that will keep them quiet.

Wish playing better than my group kept them quiet about my discs.

Wish playing better than my group kept them quiet about my discs.

amen to that!

you can see my bag (o_O) here http://www.dgcoursereview.com/bag.php?mid=6146

lately, although I still carry it all (I'm a glutton for punishment) it's been Aviar, Star Roc, Coyote, Star TL's, and wraith/starfire/sidewinder... lately, I'm liking the wraith and sw less, and the starfire more...

I usually carry 13, but I have been testing a CFR TL. So the last 2 days 3 rounds at Cedar Hill with just the TL, Comet, and Wizard I have been shooting my average score or better. My drives are not near as long without the Wraith and Boss, but hitting more fairways, and always know what I'm going to throw before I get to my disc.

I use 4 molds for most of my throws, on the common DGR advice of disc minimalism.

Wizard, Roc, Gazelle, Beast.

Wizards out to about 150', Rocs for tweener shots and less-than all-out annies, gazelles for tight fairways or big turnovers, Beasts for open fairways.

However, I can't bring myself to get rid of the following:
Monster -- for thumbers and a few specific holes where its hard fade perfectly matches the fairway.
Teebird -- for when I fear that my Beasts don't have room to work.
..and a Valk that should be collecting Social Security by now for rollers and other hijinks.

I use only two drivers currently, Champ Valk or Champ Viking. Mid is the infamous BUZZZ, putt/approach Aviar and trying out a SS Voodoo. Total discs in bag is 8.

Went out one day with just a 180g Champ Aero and a 180g QMS and a 175g Organic Magic. It wasn't my best round ever, but it was close, and it was great fun.

I'm still a fan of having a full bag. IMO having more discs doesn't mean you don't know them well.
There is also a big difference between fewer discs and fewer molds.

ESP FLX Surge SS
ESP FLX Surge
Z Flash
Z Flash (more beat in)
ESP Avenger
Champ Sidewinder (roller)
Champ Teebird
Z Flick

CryZ Buzzz
ESP FLX Buzzz
ESP Wasp
ESP Storm
Innova Proline gremlin

Eraser Wizard (driving)
Supersoft Wizard (putting)
Soft Voodoo (it's actually firm though) (putting and driving)
Firm Magic (same firmness as voodoo) (driving)
Super Stupid Soft Magic (putter)

I do the same thing with drivers but I definitely prefer to keep it simple and learn the discs I have. I generally use 3 different drivers. Force - Long hyzers that stick under the basket, Surge - Distance driver and some forehands if needed, Surge SS - Straighter, Tighter fairway shots. That's all I really need for drivers but it never hurts to try thiungs out and then you find the things you like best and then you can cut your bag down

I have been accused of throwing too many discs. Here is my bag...

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/bag.php?mid=4716

Seriously though, I will keep trying different discs until I can get predictable results with them. I carry some discs just in case the wind picks up on the courses that I play. I rarely use my Magnet and since winning a Rhyno, I may use it as my putter so that would remove my Aviar but I am conflicted since I can throw it about 250 feet so it could be used as a Mid. /shrug

I typically drive with my Valk, Boss, Wraith, Quarter K 2, or Leopard...yeah, I may have a problem.

The three types of players:

1. Newbie: Carries 3 discs, the first ones he ever bought, still learning how to throw them.
2. Serious Player: Carries 25 discs, one for every imaginable shot.
3. Seasoned Veteran: Carries 3 discs. He doesn't need any more than these since, frankly, he knows how to throw them and they'll do what he wants them to do. Besides, all that plastic is heavy.

3. Seasoned Veteran: Carries 3 discs. He doesn't need any more than these since, frankly, he knows how to throw them and they'll do what he wants them to do. Besides, all that plastic is heavy.

Except those 3 discs represented half the market from when they learned to play!

DX Rhyno (putting and very comical experimental rollers. responsible for birdie on 18 in willits)
DX Roc's (150, 168, 172, 180, 180... roc's like errr' day)
DX Cro (stafford lake head-wind mid)

Pro Leopard (<250 BH) lost and needs replacing
Champ Sidewinder (>250 BH) lost. using avenger ss flx with bad results.
Star Wraith (go to FH) lost. using force with mixed results.
ESP Force (stafford lake headwind FH driver. dennis eckersly could probably throw that thing 800)

damn it...

Last edited:
I will carry around 20 discs whever I go out and play. No I'm not gonig to use all of them, but I bring other drivers and such just to learn how to throw them better. For example, if there is no one playing right behind me I have those extra drivers to throw second and third drives. I really only use two mid-ranges a Buzzz and a Champ Stingray. However, I have a WAsp in my bag for a slower and bigger fade. I also carry a Roc, but thatI hardly ever use except for an occasional sidearm shot instead of using a FLX Buzzz.

Sidenote: 600 posts :D

My current bag:

Force - Max Distance FH
Surge x2 - Working on making these my main drivers
Surge SS - Max Distance BH
Predator x3 - "Must Finish Left" holes; Windy drives; Long FH
Sidewinder - Turnover distance driver; Straight wooded holes
Avenger SS - Roller (under evaluation)
Flick - Utility
Teebird x2 - Medium to long straight/R2L holes
XL - Medium to long L2R holes
XS - Roller (under evaluation)
Wasp - Windy approach
Buzzz x2 - Approaching
Voodoo x3 - P&A

I have 20 discs, but only 13 molds, one of which will be gone before too long. I don't see this as too many, and I certainly don't feel like it hurts my score. On a given day I probably use 6-8 of the molds, but sometimes I use more. Carrying extra discs doesn't bother me either, as they weigh significantly less than the water I carry.

Latest posts