• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Val drops Innova?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted about it earlier: One can have the same contract stipulations, but outcomes might be different depending on wins, sales of disc, etc. Also, I'd add that a lot of both men and women are abandoning Prodigy and their contracts with Prodigy, so that might not be the best analogy vis-a-vis this Val situation...

Maybe not. But according to an interview with ultiworld, Paul ulibari said it would take a contract 3x what his prodigy contract currently is to pry him away. So who really knows?

Also think its awesome we will be getting a interview this week. I dont expect much trash talk from Val, will be a the were onto discgolf4women.com type of deal.

Paul ulibari said it would take a contract 3x what his prodigy contract currently is to pry him away.

BS. Even if he said it lol. Well i guess he could have a really crappy deal regardless but that would be a terrible financial desicion and just a talking point not reality.

Maybe not. But according to an interview with ultiworld, Paul ulibari said it would take a contract 3x what his prodigy contract currently is to pry him away. So who really knows?

He said this while he was sponsored by Prodigy? If so that doesn't mean much.

Totally agree with all of this, and the facilities issue is one I had not considered previously but def plays a role.

From the perspective of a player who's wife plays with him 80% of the time, for well over two decades, this is an issue. Though, to my luck my wife become adapt at open environmental elimination. No facilities is still occasionally a deal breaker on whether she may come play or not. Seems simple, but not often given due consideration.

It's a very big problem, especially when a TD suggests that I just pee in the woods like the men do. Yeah. There's 89 men and 1 woman milling around in this stand of trees. I'll just drop my shorts and wave my cooter around behind a tree and carry a ZipLoc baggie full of my used toilet paper around with me for the rest of the round. Whee.

One reason my wife does not play tournaments. Not the only reason, but a very big one.

I'm sure most of you know, we aren't allowed to discuss the terms of our contract.

Actually, you are, and if anyone has told you different, they are giving you incorrect information.

#1 I'm pretty sure no where in the contracts does it say we can't talk about our contracts.

I can tell you from my experience that you absolutely have a right to discuss how much money & benefits you make with anyone.

The National Labor Relations Act (NLRA) protects employees who engage in concerted activity to improve working conditions. That means you can discuss pay and benefits with coworkers and the employer is not allowed to punish you for doing so. Go ahead and Google it for yourself if you're curious as to your rights as an employee of an organization like Innova.

It's a collective bargaining right that American workers fought hard for decades for you to enjoy. Ask any lawyer/HR professional and they will tell you the same.

So Catrina Allen has stated on her Facebook that she has the EXACT SAME CONTRACT as all the men on team prodigy. Thoughts? Comments?

That's not surprising at all.

Most of the big perks are probably in performance bonuses.

Sounds like they get the same base pay, some travel expenses, disc/merch allotment, and bonuses for placing.

This thread is why ill never get married.

And independent contractors/contracts are not under the same "rules" the employee labor laws.

Are these pros employees or 1099s?

And independent contractors/contracts are not under the same "rules" the employee labor laws.

Probably IC's. People like Feldberg and McCabe might be employees though. Prodigy players, if they're still getting a salary, might be employees officially as well?:confused:

I don't know, but I do know for certainty that the US Department of Labor is cracking down bigtime on employers who only use 1099s and don't officially "hire" in workers who represent them.

Looking over the IRS 20 factor test, I'd say at the very least, the "Star Team" players (especially Paul) just might qualify as employees and not 1099ers.

https://www.oregon.gov/ODA/shared/D...ces/20FactorTestforIndependentContractors.pdf

Take a look in particular at this item from the test :

Continuity of relationship - A continuous relationship between a company and a
worker indicates a possible employment relationship. However, an independent
contractor arrangement can involve an ongoing relationship for multiple, sequential
projects.

The very fact that the players can only throw Innova discs and not other brands, I'd say there is a continuity of relationship there for sure. If the players were indy contractors, they would be allowed to wear and throw whatever other brand(s) they wanted to.

Last edited:
That was my thought i cant imagine truly employing any of these dudes except for maybe a select handful.

Decent salary plus any event bonus stuff makes sense for the older names but no way for even the big jerms of the world IMO.

I don't know, but I do know for certainty that the US Department of Labor is cracking down bigtime on employers who only use 1099s and don't officially "hire" in workers.. blahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Must be a fresh grad? This isnt how it works in the real world.

Yeah they might be cracking down on some scam ass cos but no one really cares about disc golfers at the DOL or IRS lol.

It will be a good day when disc golfets get audited on thr reg lol.

And FWIW screw being an employee these days.

Congrats to Val for telling Innova to suck it!! I think it's really obvious that the honors she was talking about were signature discs for winning world championships like all the males who won championships seemingly earned. I guess Paul Mcbeth didn't earn having his signature on the Thunderbird, Destroyer, Roc3 and Nova by winning world championships, rather Innova GAVE them to him as salesman of the year, or employee of the month or whatever reason, it's their choice, and not a stipulation of winning a World Championship.

Actually, you are, and if anyone has told you different, they are giving you incorrect information.

I can tell you from my experience that you absolutely have a right to discuss how much money & benefits you make with anyone.

The National Labor Relations Act (NLRA) protects employees who engage in concerted activity to improve working conditions. That means you can discuss pay and benefits with coworkers and the employer is not allowed to punish you for doing so. Go ahead and Google it for yourself if you're curious as to your rights as an employee of an organization like Innova.

It's a collective bargaining right that American workers fought hard for decades for you to enjoy. Ask any lawyer/HR professional and they will tell you the same.

The pros are not employed tho, they are independant contractors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts