• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread (Part II)

We will have them make the official announcement closer to the release date, which will be this Summer.

This is good news. Though I will admit, it does not sound like the two stages of OS Lace is going to happen as I had hoped. Mr. Dodge, would you please describe where you would put these two new discs on your awesome Vibram disc chart?

Summer is a really busy time at work for me. Thus, I haven't had time to look at forums, and I didn't even know a new disc was in the works. Until two of them showed up on my doorstep! I managed to sneak away for an hour today and do some testing.

I'm forehand dominant, but do manage to throw backhand drives once in a while. My noodle arm can only get any real distance with a champ monarch (anything else is too stable or too fast). The 419B had the same flight path, but was consistently 25-50ft farther with no more effort. Very pleased so far.

As for the 420B, well my long game is all forehand. I've been rocking the same Z Force for 5+ years and would quit golfing if I ever lost it. The 420B was getting very similar results with that awesome vibram grip and feel. Definitely need to spend some more time with it though. It is the first and only vibram I've been able to manage forehand. (ascent, trak, ibex are nice when thrown well, but wildly unpredictable for me)

Also, I hate all the super wide rim drivers. Can't use em. Glad neither of these are super wide rim.

I submitted my review last night. Looks like I was a bit late, I hope Mr. Dodge will forgive me. After working two 80+ hour weeks in a row, I wanted to get out with the discs one more time for a more accurate review.

I must rescind my comparison with the force. My force has a very pleasant S, with a slight turn, long glide, followed by a gentle fade. After more time spent with the 420, I just can't get the same results. It seems to turn then fade with no glide in the middle. (not enough high speed stability, to much low speed stability). Or I can start it straight, then hard fade. Either way it is not matching my typical distance. This might be the right speed/stability combination for many players, but just not right for my forehand huck. I suppose it would be useful as a right turn only shot or spike hyzer. It's too bad, I really want to like it.

A couple of other things I noted was the 'roundness' of the under side of the rim. Coupled with its shallowness, I could not my hand/fingers positioned comfortably. I guess I need more depth, more surface area to press my middle finger against. Same thing on the 419, but this was less of an issue with a backhand grip. Also, there was a slightly odd thing about the stiffness of the rim and flightplate. It was nice and flexible, but the area around the vibram logo was stiffer. Both the rim itself and the flightpate directly inward (1/2") of the rim. Varying degrees of stiffness is not necessarily a bad thing (similar to players who like to put their thumb on the logo for more grip), unless it affects the flight which I don't think it does.

As for the 419 I stand by my previous comments. I like it a lot for backhand shots. The Lace had impressive distance for me, but was widely unpredictable and very sensitive to nose angle. This (underlace?) is much more forgiving with the same distance gains over my current backhand go to driver.

I'm very curious how the flight characteristics of both of these discs would change with x-link soft or x-link firm. Mr. Dodge? Any insight about that?

Those look pretty cool to me. Anyone have a good idea as to how well these boxes hold up over time?

I've had some since they came out, holding up nicely. Keep em out of the rain. They stack and store nicely in my room/closet though.

I'm very curious how the flight characteristics of both of these discs would change with x-link soft or x-link firm. Mr. Dodge? Any insight about that?

Not sure about soft but Firm and Medium have always flown exactly the same for me. If there is any difference in stability it is minor in my opinion. So I would think this would apply for the new drivers as well.

I've had some since they came out, holding up nicely. Keep em out of the rain. They stack and store nicely in my room/closet though.

Good. Perhaps I can give up buying expensive storage containers at The Container Store that they then stop carrying before I buy new ones.

Or maybe I just need to start selling off some discs.

New Vibram user - thoughts

Howdy folks. I've put a few rounds under my belt with my first couple molds - Lace and Sole and have added a Trak and Summit for testing. I wanted to share my initial thoughts.

I'd recently been on a strictly fairway or slower bag for a few months to build control, but after throwing a friends Sole, I caved into temptation and bought my own plus a Lace, thing looked too cool to pass up. My distance driver coming out party was ticked off with a launch from said Lace, a fresh 163M that turned over and held when thrown flat. This elicited a smile as I'd found DD's in my bag previously barely reached their potential in my hands. Knowing what to expect going forward, I was able to put a slight hyzer angle on release and put some lasers down range, easily out distancing my accustomed lies using the fairway drivers I'd been cycling of late. I'm still tuning in the amount of release angle to achieve consistency, but I'm liking the distance and feel on this thing so far, truly.

The Sole has come at a time where I've been finding my short game form and has been the tool that has helped me find the basket cleanly on all short-medium upshots and a few shorter drives of late. I was put off by the logo stamp on the rim and corresponding bump on the under side of the flight plate, but immediately loved the grip and flight. The grip instantly screamed putter to me and a Summit was ordered to see about straightening out my natural tendency to hyzer putt while a second, firm Sole was added as a goto short driver.

Since I'd been in the market for a straight finishing control driver anyway, I thought I'd slip a Trak into the fray with my early success using Vibram. It too is the firm x-link, though it is notably firmer than my firm Sole.

The big differences I find with Vibram, starting with the material are both good and opportunities to improve. On the plus side, This rubber idea is great. Something unique and proven in use, very capably. I'll look forward to getting some winter rounds under my belt with these. If they succeed in holding some of their 'gum' in the freezing cold, I could become a total convert. Also, the molds - All seem very capable thus far and I look forward to trying them in time. On the negative side - the flashing issue is quite pronounced. Next to my MVPs, which stand tall in how cleanly produced they are, my Vibrams looks quite rough. Perhaps it's down to material manufacturing constraints? Also, the logos don't inspire that everything is being done for the sake of flight consistency in that they create odd shapes in the wind path which can only add variables. It might even be miniscule, but it suggests form over function. How are you all finding consistency from disc to disc within molds? I do find their flight chart system more informative than others, and well done on the underside with the name of the mold. Perhaps that could be enough.

To summarize, as a disc golfer always ready to explore something new to add to my game, I am pleased and impressed by Vibram products, yet also look forward to what the future brings for them in terms of additional molds and - hopefully justified by healthy sales - production advances. I'll be trying all the molds and overlapping where material choices make sense to my game so I'll be back to share more thoughts and learn of others experiences.

Kelly.

Good. Perhaps I can give up buying expensive storage containers at The Container Store that they then stop carrying before I buy new ones.

Or maybe I just need to start selling off some discs.

ive always used 20 qt sterlite containers and eve though they change the lid the always stack fine. and the are 6-10 bucks each

Vibram performed like a champ for me today! I was playing a tourney at a course I had never heard of until about 12 hours before tee time. I barely managed to get in, then averaged a 958 rating to take INT and shoot the highest amateur average rating of the tourney. I only found myself throwing a non-Vibram disc once and that was my xXx on a hole where I needed a MASSIVE skip around the corner. I impressed more people with Vibram's molds and hopefully created some new converts.

Vibram performed like a champ for me today! I was playing a tourney at a course I had never heard of until about 12 hours before tee time. I barely managed to get in, then averaged a 958 rating to take INT and shoot the highest amateur average rating of the tourney. I only found myself throwing a non-Vibram disc once and that was my xXx on a hole where I needed a MASSIVE skip around the corner. I impressed more people with Vibram's molds and hopefully created some new converts.

Nice shooting sir. Well maybe if you had had a Firm O-Lace you would have gotten that same skip!

Has anyone been on ebay looking for Vibram disc recently? If so I hope you are disgusted with Prime Disc Golf, they recently posted 2 disc that are Chunk Granite, for $30 each. Its not the original Chuck either, its just a disc with a lot of color. They are trying to take advantage of people, They are also selling a "first run" Ascent for $100.

I understand they are a business and need to make money to stay open, but seriously guys. This is exactly what ruins sports, gauging prices and hoping someone that doesn't know better buys it...I'm glad the Ascent they are selling has been there for a while, they don't desire to sell that.

Has anyone been on ebay looking for Vibram disc recently? If so I hope you are disgusted with Prime Disc Golf, they recently posted 2 disc that are Chunk Granite, for $30 each. Its not the original Chuck either, its just a disc with a lot of color. They are trying to take advantage of people, They are also selling a "first run" Ascent for $100.

I understand they are a business and need to make money to stay open, but seriously guys. This is exactly what ruins sports, gauging prices and hoping someone that doesn't know better buys it...I'm glad the Ascent they are selling has been there for a while, they don't desire to sell that.

Lsdiscs has had the same first run ascents for the past 2 years, for 20 bucks or so, safe to say neither of them get any business from vibram discs.

I would buy 1st run Ascents at $20 a pop all day long! Those were pretty limited... I'm not even sure I have one? Can't remember if I snagged one from Steve at the VO last year or not?

Well, I am here at Am Worlds. Looked through the caddy book and found out that Vibram is one of the 6 sponsors that are giving something away to card winners. Woot! God Vibram! Really hope I can win my card that round.