• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread (Part II)

I understand that people are upset about the name and I understand why. But I do not think it is THAT large of an issue.

It is, as Steve Dodge has not made it that big of an issue. Being a servicemember who wears Vibram soles on everything (as it is issued) I'm wondering if this even makes a blip on their radar. If it does, then this blew up bigger than even Dodge expected. If it doesn't, then it shows how insignificant disc golf is, even when it is connected to as large and respected a company as Vibram. Then again, it's not like Dodge is the Lord and master of Vibram, he still has superiors to answer to, and they approved it, so they too, must by endorsing drugs.

Vibram will lose some fans. They likely won't gain any, as far as people supporting their brand, but they will sell a lot of Four 20's to chuckers who are also drug users. Whatever. Live by the sword or die by the sword...guess we will see how it pans out.

But yes, Vibram has also lost a customer in me and my family. My wife just took her entire bag and donated it to Goodwill over this. :::shrugs:::

You knows, I'll bet you there is a fairly substantial portion of the population who have no idea there is any connotation, negative or otherwise, to the term 420, myself included, until this "blow up."

Methinks some of you doth protest too much!

Discussion on the video starts at 2:48, for those who want to skip straight to it.

As for the hot topic, I think, first and foremost, Dodge is a businessman. As he acknowledged in the video, everyone knows about this disc. As the saying goes, there's no such thing as bad publicity.

Do I buy into the idea that naming this disc Four20 will meet some larger goal of being progressive and accepting of disc golf's counter culture? I'm dubious about this, at best. Too many people get holier than thou about disc golf and will see this as nothing but a negative. I think that's some good PR spin about a controversial name.

As for getting rid of all your Vibram because of one disc name? I just don't get that. We're still just throwing frisbees in the park, not saving the world. To each their own, I guess.

Regardless of my opinion on the matter, you have to admit they screwed up by not waiting until the 20th to release this...

When Vibram's next 2 releases are a glidey driver called the Luftwaffe and a floating putter called the U-boat it'll dawn on people that the four20 is actually a reference to Hitler's birthday. :eek: :rolleyes:

When Vibram's next 2 releases are a glidey driver called the Luftwaffe and a floating putter called the U-boat it'll dawn on people that the four20 is actually a reference to Hitler's birthday. :eek: :rolleyes:

Sorry but Steve said what the name is referring to. He wants us to embrace DGs counter culture origins. This will certainly keep DG tied to its origins and provide ammunition for all the DG haters. I fully expect this to be used as evidence of the type of people that play DG at future public debates about allowing courses in public parks.

Sorry but Steve said what the name is referring to. He wants us to embrace DGs counter culture origins. This will certainly keep DG tied to its origins and provide ammunition for all the DG haters. I fully expect this to be used as evidence of the type of people that play DG at future public debates about allowing courses in public parks.

This.

It is, as Steve Dodge has not made it that big of an issue. Being a servicemember who wears Vibram soles on everything (as it is issued) I'm wondering if this even makes a blip on their radar. If it does, then this blew up bigger than even Dodge expected. If it doesn't, then it shows how insignificant disc golf is, even when it is connected to as large and respected a company as Vibram. Then again, it's not like Dodge is the Lord and master of Vibram, he still has superiors to answer to, and they approved it, so they too, must by endorsing drugs.

Vibram will lose some fans. They likely won't gain any, as far as people supporting their brand, but they will sell a lot of Four 20's to chuckers who are also drug users. Whatever. Live by the sword or die by the sword...guess we will see how it pans out.

But yes, Vibram has also lost a customer in me and my family. My wife just took her entire bag and donated it to Goodwill over this. :::shrugs:::

You're allowed to be upset. That's fine. You're more than welcome to do as you choose. The name doesn't bother me, and neither does the fact that you're upset. We'll just have to leave it at that, I guess.

This post is more for the Vibram fans who regularly contribute to this thread. We love Vibram discs, and at some point, you just need to let go, and trust in the judgement of the person who got you here, because everything up to this point has been pretty stellar, so that gives me a TON of confidence that what's ahead is, as good, if not better than what's behind. Don't change your horse in mid-stream, as they say. Trust your rubber!

Personally, I don't care about the name at all. And it does nothing to change my opinion on Vibram, a company I have the utmost regard for. I will continue to buy their products (bought 4 discs tonight, as a matter of fact. I will continue to throw an all Vibram bag, or a Vibram dominant bag at the very least. I will buy a Four20 and look forward to trying it.

Just my opinion. I respect that people have differing opinions.

Personally, I don't care about the name at all. And it does nothing to change my opinion on Vibram, a company I have the utmost regard for. I will continue to buy their products (bought 4 discs tonight, as a matter of fact. I will continue to throw an all Vibram bag, or a Vibram dominant bag at the very least. I will buy a Four20 and look forward to trying it.

Just my opinion. I respect that people have differing opinions.

Yeah, same here. I appreciate your post! I've got my eye on a few more Vibram discs, including the Four20. There were a few glow Laces left from GGGT last I checked. Also, there were some MN Winter Carnival Ascents available, which were a fundraiser originally for my home-state. Too much awesomeness to not purchase one, because I play just as much in the winter-time in Minnesota, as in the summer.

Also, I heard from one of my friends that there is a "fugly" 2-for-1 sale from communitydiscs.com. Personally, I bag more ugly Vibrams than prettier ones, because some of them perform exceptionally well. It becomes kind of a joke with my friends when I use a strange looking disc, so I have lots of fun with my "ugly" discs. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

The whole 420 discussion seems to be rather big in the states, here in Germany noone really cares tbh.

I can understand both sides of the on going debate but i don´t really think it´s going to hurt Vibram that much.

I know a lot of guys that love vibram discs and will continue buying rubber.

I, myself don´t own a Vibram disc (yet), but i have respect for Mr. Dodge and Vibram as a company. These weekly videos are entertaining and i think it takes a lot to go out there and say: "Hey, i am the one responsible for naming the disc four20"

political decision aren´t meant to be made here on a dg forum nor on a dg course.
Just go out there, play the game we all love.

Oh this is great news! If you want to get rid off your unwelcome vibram discs you can send them to me to a faraway land :)

Some of you critics probably think washington and colorado states should also be seperated from the USA?

About the disc as a tool it's not what i was looking for to add to my bag but i respect the ones that do need this OS beast!

Last edited:

Not to mention assassins, avengers, destroyers, fugitives, mace, fiend, monster, ninja, nuke,mystic, maniac, psycho, freak,outlaw, pain, chaos, panzer tank, predator, rage, rampage, riot, savage, scream, sharpshooter, slayer, stalker,suspect, sword, tee DEVIL, terminator, thief, underworld, villian, voodoo, wahoo, warlock, wraith, XXX and zombee. All these names shine an angelic light on the sport.

Not to mention #2. What are disc golfers doing out in those woods?

Not to mention assassins, avengers, destroyers, fugitives, mace, fiend, monster, ninja, nuke,mystic, maniac, psycho, freak,outlaw, pain, chaos, panzer tank, predator, rage, rampage, riot, savage, scream, sharpshooter, slayer, stalker,suspect, sword, tee DEVIL, terminator, thief, underworld, villian, voodoo, wahoo, warlock, wraith, XXX and zombee. All these names shine an angelic light on the sport.

Don´t forget "Moonshine", that might be the answer to your question :p

I'm not trying to say that everything DG has to be angelic. I'm simply trying to say that this isn't going to help shift DGs image. But maybe you don't want it to change.

BTW a wahoo is a fish - I love fish grilled with butter and garlic.

I address some of the issues with the name Four20 in our weekly blog.

To check out our weekly blog: http://www.vibramdiscgolf.com/blog.html

I had really negative feelings about the name of the new disc, but Steve's video has convince me not to hate on it. I might even buy one. His lo-fi video blog is the best.

Also, it's too bad the unLace wasn't project #420 because then they could have said that it was good for rolling.

Latest posts