• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

ways to measure putts

discordye

Eagle Member
Are there other ways to measure putts while practicing or playing besides guessing?
I've come up with a method while practicing, I tied ropes off in five foot increments,a knot at each five ft mark totaling thirty ft, put a clasp on the end to attach to the bottom of the basket so it can be moved around to tell the distance for putting. Is this a dumb idea? Would I look dumb pulling this thing out and practicing with it? I think its an affective way of precisely telling how long your putts are, without the tape measure. Will post photos if wanted. Any ideas?

I've been wondering how to judge putt distances too. I really like your idea and I am going to steal it. Goodbye guestamation!

I step heel to toe about 15 steps out...I wear size 13 shoe.

About 15 feet...set a mini marker down. Opposite side of the basket 25 heel to toe steps, set mini down. Put from both sides. Bang chains and be happy.

find a known distance and pace it off with your normal walking step. Go to a field and walk from the goal line to the 33 1/3...or 100 feet. Just make sure to use your natural stride. I'm lucky in that it takes me 40 steps to reach 100' which comes out to 2.5' per step. If you're pacing a distance over 100' then extend a finger once 100' is reached and start counting over at one. This is a land surveyors trick and can be quite accurate over long distances.

I use the rope method also without the knots and it works great!

I dont see the need to over analyse distance in putting. Driving is about distance; putting is either you make it or you dont. I dont care if its 10' or 40'+, I just want to make the dang putt.

You don't need to be super accurate when it comes to measuring actual distance for putts. Being able to judge about how far away you are is more important.

What I did was be in marching band in high school and learned to march an "8 to 5" (8 steps to 5 yards). I can get within a foot or two almost every time within 60'.

I have stakes in the ground in the back yard at 10,15,20,25,30 feet and another stake where the basket goes so it doesn't change.

Once you get used to looking at the distances it is pretty easy to figure out.

dark pic:
attachment.php

figure out how tall the basket is compared to some sort of logo or image on your putter held at arms length. You have to know how tall you practice basket is though

I use my own pace to measure my practice putts. Ill take 3 steps from the basket turn and sink the putt. Then Ill take 4, and continue to add a step each putt till I hit 15. If I miss I start over. During rounds I judge the distance in steps, a 7-step or a 12-step putt for example. I can check it walking to the basket after my putt, and I've gotten pretty damn accurate on the distance now.

So you guys do try to estimate the distance then on the course by putting a number on it? Do you then in your head say "I know at that distance, I need to throw a "this" hard and "this" high?

I definately dont want to do that. I want to walk up and just have it feel natural. If I put a number to it, even a guess; I'm thinking too much.

So you guys do try to estimate the distance then on the course by putting a number on it? Do you then in your head say "I know at that distance, I need to throw a "this" hard and "this" high?

I definately dont want to do that. I want to walk up and just have it feel natural. If I put a number to it, even a guess; I'm thinking too much.

I can't speak for anyone else but it's a confidence factor for me. I know I can hit a 7-step putt 90% of the time. I know from 7 to 10 steps I drop to about 80% and the numbers drop from there. So looking at a 13-step putt, I have confidence knowing I've made the putt before and I can sink it more often than not. It also helps me judge if Im putting above or bellow my normal averages.

I did almost what you did, I got a bout a 35 foot rope and tied knots in it at 15 20 25 and 30. Then I doubled them and it turns out the end is 32.10.

I don't try to put a number on it for a couple reasons. The most important one is the same one that you gave. The other one is that I don't want to be wrong so I don't even try.

If you have an android or iphone, there's golf shot trackers that use gps to measure distances. Something like that might not be as useful for short stuff, but I use it to measure my putts longer out as I play to get an idea of distance. It's helped a lot in my rough judgment of how far out I am.

I've used the gps shot tracker and its very accurate, I made the rope for putting competition/practice and not so much the benefit of a judgement helper tool.

i get a measuring tape, stretch it out 30 feet from the basket and ill put. I start at 30 feet and see how many steps it takes to get to the basket an same for other distances that way during play after my putt i can walk to the basket to get my putter and count my steps then i know how far it was!

I use survey string with balck magic marker spots every 5 feet. I initially did it for perfect putt 360, but it works great for just practicing also

Latest posts