• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What are the must play courses in the Portland area???

reed2020

Par Member
Heading up to Portland for a three day road trip and I want to make sure I play the right courses. I am not going to be able to hit up Horning's which is disappointing, but I am hoping to hit up some of the other PDX gems. What should I play??

milo mciver, pier, and blue lake for sure. too bad about hornings, that's a bummer.

Plus Dabney might just miss the "must play" list, but is a really fun course as well.

I would also consider Stub Stewart a must play, but it's even farther out than Horning's so I would assume you can't make it out there either.

Milo McIver is the best course in the area not at Hornings. Pier Park is regarded very highly, though I find it less compelling than most people seem to. Dabney is a good time.

All that said: I would rather play just Hornings than all of the others combined. Hornings is as much of a Mecca as exists for Disc Golf as far as I am concerned.

Just got back from Portland/Gorge trip. We played Pier, Hornings and Milo. All were excellent.

Heard good things about Blue Lake and Dabney as well.

Milo McIver is the best course in the area not at Hornings. Pier Park is regarded very highly, though I find it less compelling than most people seem to. Dabney is a good time.

All that said: I would rather play just Hornings than all of the others combined. Hornings is as much of a Mecca as exists for Disc Golf as far as I am concerned.

What he said, also depending on where you are starting milo is just as far away as hornings is...

We are driving up from Southern Oregon and plan on hitting Dexter, Timber and Milo on our first day. Day two we were thinking about staying in Lake Oswego, but maybe we can camp at Horning's and hit Pier on the way back home from Horning's on day three. So many courses, so little time;) Thanks for all the feedback. If I don't make Horning's on this trip, I will be coming back to play only that.

Well I can't offer a ton of advice because I've only played four area courses, but I would put Pier over Dabney. It's free, more technical, has more elevation, and it's longer. However, Pier is always more crowded too, and it's far away from any other course. Haven't had the pleasure of playing McIver (next trip) or Horning's (someday I hope).

On a side note, if you want a quick warmup nine and are doing Dabney I would say to try Vance in Gresham. Rockwood is right across the street, but it's kind of a joke. Then it's just a quick jaunt down the hill into Troutdale and Dabney.

All of that is irrelevant though, because you're going to suck it up and go to Horning's. Aren't you?

It sounds like you're forgoing Hornings to play Milo and Timber. If that's the case, I'd play Hornings over those two, ESPECIALLY if no one in your group has played Milo. For all the good at Milo, it is ABSOLUTELY horrible navigating if you've never been there. The maps (both course maps and hole maps) are a joke, and more often than not, increase confusion and frustration. In fact, the first time I went to Milo, I walked off, FUMING, because I couldn't figure out where the hell to go, or if I did find a tee, I couldn't tell where to throw because half the tee signs are installed "backwards" (hard to explain, but you'll see). That said, if you have someone in your group that has played it, or if you hook up with a local that can show you around, it's a great course...

Thank you everyone, we ended up staying at Horning's on our second day. Got in multiple rounds on the three courses up there and all I have to say is, awesome. Milo lived up to my expectations. Hole two is a beast right our the gate.

Thank you everyone, we ended up staying at Horning's on our second day. Got in multiple rounds on the three courses up there and all I have to say is, awesome. Milo lived up to my expectations. Hole two is a beast right our the gate.

Glad you had a good time. Always good to see a guy come back on here after the trip to sum up what a good time he had. :thmbup:

I played pier when I was out there and loved it.
I trekked to Horning's only to find out some hippy show took over the property. I was gutted.

Latest posts