• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What course won't you play alone?

Of the 150+ courses I've played, the only two I've felt unsafe at are Brookside and Washington in Indy.

I've never felt very safe when playing at Brookside alone, the neighborhood is very bad and some of the people hanging around the park look pretty sketchy. A buddy of mine got cussed out by a guy sitting on his porch for looking in his direction during a tournament years ago. When I was at a tournament up there last summer I heard locals say that cars have been broken into on occasion and it doesn't help that you can't see your car from holes 5-16.

Washington seems a bit safer with a police station very close by but it's still not in a very good area. A friend of mine was playing there once and when he was just a few holes in he looked back and saw a guy with his face pressed up to his car window looking inside.

Edit, kingjames1014 beat me to it.

I play both of these courses quite frequently, bad neghborhoods yes, as many have said though during the daylight not so bad.

The freaks come out at night

Ottawa Park in Toledo, OH was pretty sketchy. There is a about 5 holes that play along the ghetto and a straight up crack house right next to a few others.

I can't see anyone from Chitown calling anything in Toledo "ghetto". True, I don't want to griplock anything over that street into the "hood", but I've never felt like I was in any danger either.

Funny though, the abandoned, boarded up house on park property is affectionately referred to as "the crack house" :D

Sugaw is I think the only good course in Charlotte that I haven't played yet because of its reputation. It just fell to the bottom of the list. Boyd Hill I've heard lots of bad things about, a local that guided me around Winthrop Lake front told me he wouldn't play there alone. The only courses I've played that would qualify here are Barber Park, Greensboro and Mazarick, Fayetteville. Neither would I want to play alone at dusk, but I have done that at Barber and never had any problems. They just don't scream safe area.

Suprised at this. Sugaw is where I learned to play and was my home course when I lived in Charlotte. Never had any problems there.

One of the few times I've ever felt concern for my personal safety in any circumstance was on Labor Day a few years ago playing a round at Kilborne. I will not play there alone.

I've been to a couple DGC of the years that I felt threatened. I actually traveled to Dupree Park (from Burns Park in North Little Rock) in Jacksonville, Arkansas only to turn away when I saw a car full of African Americans smoking this awful smelling whatever it was in the very back end of the park. I was thinking to myself. Why do I want to go back into the woods by myself when there's a car load of crack? heads?? in a car parked right next to mine.

Then there was another time when I played Owens Field DGC in Columbia, S.C. as my lady friend & I had already been in the parking lot, when this car pulled into the parking lot, 2 guys got out and went to hole # 2. (I thought that was weird that they went to hole # 2) but then when I finally caught up to them on a hole way back in the woods, I tried to talk with them and one of the guys would not for whatever reason want me to see his face. I took this as a clue he might be wanted by the law and that I should get the flock out of the woods with these 2 suspicious people. So I ran through the rest of the course trying to get to the van as quickly as I could. I finished the course and found my lady friend sound asleep when I got back to the van.

I've played Washington Park in Indy back in the days(early 90's). I remember hitting this one tree and my whippet bouncing off of it and landing in a yard that the house had bars on the windows and pit bull dogs in the yard. Needless to say. I left the disc behind (And if my memory serves me correctly, I think the staff @ the AM Worlds had to redo a hole because of a murder victim when the AM Worlds was held in Indianapolis (Washington, Park).

And I also got scared when I played Beatty Park in Steubenville, As I was behind the shelter when I noticed a group of African Americans smoking something and looking at me like I was ..... (dinner) I sidestepped them all, finished the course looking back at them periodically and got the hell out of Steubenville. I told this story to one of my co- workers who grew up in Steubenville and he asked me why would I risk my life to play a course as that part of town was no good. I couldn't come up with one good reason and thus will never go back (even though the club is trying to clean the park up and the park's image up by doing the good DG thing in that town). I've came across a Black bear in Troy, Mt. and it was more afraid of me that I was of it. As I made myself appear larger than I was by standing the with my arms extended. Then like a dummy I am. finished the hole and played the rest of the course (that was mainly in the deep dense woods). I was playing with my lady friend @ Highland Park in Fort Thomas, Ky. when the police actually stopped us and asked if we seen anyone wearing all black clothes recently as they said that a couple homes we're just robbed and where in pursuit for the robber.

But I'm more apprehensive with strange people or strange circumstances than I am with animals, though I still try to evaluate all circumstances as they dictate. But I'm always reading people reviews for these kind of activities and I write ahead to the local contacts if possible just to ask if there's any parks in iffy neighborhoods. I feel it's a valid question to ask.

Plunkett park MO shady ass town got jumped there in the parking lot and they closed the park cause of drug related violence and ect

Veterans park in Arlington tx

Only because if I play it on a 100+ degree Texas summer day I could pass out from dehydration and no one would ever find me. But then again I doubt I'd go back to that course; it's pretty lame IMO.

Other then that there's no DFW courses that are scary; neighborhood wise.

Scanning the Cons, this jumped out at me:

locals at the 18 hole they are no threat but did offer prostitution and we felt very uncomfortable.

I think that is just the NJ idea of "Hole 19".....or maybe "Ho 19"?

lulz

did you read the 5 disc CAPSLOCK rant? that was weird and painful to look at.

None. I'm a man.

Men get robbed as well, but I also said which of these course would yo not let your wife/daughter/sister play alone.

Baltimore has their reputation for a reason, I wonder how pissy he would have got if I added shumaker pond due to the risk of hurting children with your discs :popcorn:

I used to play at Carver Rec Center here in Chattanooga quite often. I never felt threatened but I would probably not go there alone either. I probably haven't been back there in a year or so and have no plan to either.

Over the past year, many shootings have happened near there and have decided to not push my luck, you never know who is having a bad day and decides to take it out on some disc golfers.

Screenshot2013-01-24at10345PM_zpscee6c7f4.png

Scanning the Cons, this jumped out at me:

locals at the 18 hole they are no threat but did offer prostitution and we felt very uncomfortable.

I think that is just the NJ idea of "Hole 19".....or maybe "Ho 19"?
At any rate that shouldn't be a Con, that should go in Other Thoughts if you ask me. Maybe those locals are just trying to scrape up some cash to spend at the local pro shop, some folks will do anything for that pretty Latitude plastic.
lulz

did you read the 5 disc CAPSLOCK rant? that was weird and painful to look at.

That was the best review. Somebody call that guy.

Schenley park in Pittsburgh.

There are lots of guys cruising for encounters. Straight up gives me the willies. I don't mind gay people, and I don't mind if they go to public places to meet, but damn don't come right up to me and ask if I want a blowjob while you are still covered in spooge from the last guy. The disc golf course isn't even by the proper cruising spot so only the braindead/rolling ones wander over there.

I also got attacked by LARPers once. Not so much dangerous, its like a declawed cat pawing at your face.

At any rate I always hated playing schenley and I will never have to again, yay!

I stay away from Paw Paw for fear of seeing Mark Susi and Tony Ellis naked.

Schenley....really? hmm, never seen anything to be afraid of there in 18+ years.

I'm not sure that I've seen any that I absolutely wouldn't play alone. There are some that I've been pretty wary at, and some I'd rather play earlier in the day. Some, like Sugaw, I might not play alone because there are so many other courses nearby, without the concern.

When I started in the mid-1990s, Earlewood was a bit sketchy. Disc golfers were rare and there was stuff going on that made me eager to finish up before it got too late. The presence of disc golf has been a big factor in cleaning up the park, and there's a lot more people around, so I'm fairly comfortable deep into dusk.

Oddly, perhaps the wariest I've been alone was a little course in Bloomington, Indiana.....because it was next to a housing project and, in those pre-DGCR days, I had nothing else to go by.

Well, the wariest I've been regarding people. I played Bohart Ski Ranch when I seemed to be the only person on the property. I had no idea whether there were grizzlies around, but I'd just come through Yellowstone with all the bear warnings, and by about hole 10 I'd used up all my adrenaline just being on alert.

Latest posts