• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

what disc do you use "against the grain"

I like to hyzer flip my Roadrunner and/or Valkyrie.

That's not against the grain!

As for me, I use a firm summit for almost all of my forehand shots. It just clicks with me for some reason. I cannot for the life of me forehand with any disc but the Summit.

I use a Pro Destroyer for tomahawks on one hole, and one hole only. Hole 5 at Cumberland Green. I've tried other discs on this hole...no success. I've tried tommy'ing this disc on other holes...no success. But on this hole, with this disc, I park it and/or hit metal almost every time. Just waiting to nail a tommy ace. That'd be sick.

I use my Zone for tunnel shots if there is room to land on the green. Crank it as hard as I can flat. Very accurate for me. Up to ~260ft.

Everyone else is using a Buzzz/Ion. But I'm the only birdie on the card! :thmbup:

Is that what the point of a low profile stable putter is? Not ripping on you but I throw one as well. its a shorter buzz/wasp that does not float up. and it holds lines.

I agree.

A sort of secret a lot of people don't know is you can get more right to left hyzer action with a much less stable disc than a meathook, because they won't dump off during the fade and will glide a lot farther left. It is a much harder shot to do though, and I will still usually throw a more stable disc for predictability's sake. Also, with a flippier disc, you can throw a steep hyzer and the disc will actually travel left on the hyzer before it flipps up and goes right, then fades again.

This is a great one and something I keep in mind for both directions. By that, I mean that I use this knowledge not only to get more left to right movement, but to shorten it as well. For instance, there's a whole at my local course that's about 330-350 is. There's a tree right in line with the teepad so you've got to go right or left. to the right of the pin, starting about midway down the fairway, the hold slopes steeply up to a parking lot which is ob. To the left along the whole fairway is a canal which is ob as well. The "flat" portion of the fairway is actually slightly sloped towards the canal.

The go to shot for righties is a hyzer over the parking lot to fade back in towards the basket. The trick is to not fade so hard you skip and end in the canal on the left. I've tried the shot with PDs but given their lesser stability, they carry further left on that hyzer line and have more of a tendency to skip in. By contrast, if I throw a force, I know its going to find the ground faster and it almost always digs in and sits.

I use a Challenger on nearly every drive under 300' and for approaches I never throw a putter, but instead pull out an Ibex and throw it nose up.

A sort of secret a lot of people don't know is you can get more right to left hyzer action with a much less stable disc than a meathook, because they won't dump off during the fade and will glide a lot farther left. It is a much harder shot to do though, and I will still usually throw a more stable disc for predictability's sake. Also, with a flippier disc, you can throw a steep hyzer and the disc will actually travel left on the hyzer before it flipps up and goes right, then fades again.

Yes! Love this shot. I'll use a beat-in Pro Valk for this. Just throw it with a good bit of hyzer and snap and the disc will clear the corner, flip to flat, then glide down the fairway.

Write me down as another guy who uses understable discs for overhand shots. Again, the Valk works well. I just like the accuracy and predictability of the flip for these kinds of shots.

Lastly, and this isn't very "against the grain", but I'll use stable-to-understable discs for forehands. Many people say to use stable-to-overstable discs for that, and sometimes I do, but you can shape some great lines with something like a TL.

Is that what the point of a low profile stable putter is? Not ripping on you but I throw one as well. its a shorter buzz/wasp that does not float up. and it holds lines.

I agree.

If your Zone holds lines, then you must be ripping it as hard as me. I only see Zones thrown on hyzers or flex shots. I don't know anyone else (besides you!) who throws them for straight shots. Typically they are too overstable to hold a line for more than 200'.

Anywho, we are in the same boat!

Before I got a handle on anhyzer shots (and putters for under 100ft for that matter) I used to use a star boss for flick approaches. I had it down to be pretty accurate as a lay up shot but of course, it never went in.

/agree with jtreadwell, I use a champ firebird for flick approach shots that range anywhere from 50'-150' but must finish right. I'm a rhbh player but this shot is money when i need a nice low line that is always going to finish to the right, especially good for those baskets that are tucked just around trees or when i have a super low tree right in front of me i can skip shots for some decent outs

/agree with jtreadwell, I use a champ firebird for flick approach shots that range anywhere from 50'-150' but must finish right. I'm a rhbh player but this shot is money when i need a nice low line that is always going to finish to the right, especially good for those baskets that are tucked just around trees or when i have a super low tree right in front of me i can skip shots for some decent outs

This does not seem out of the ordinary at all for me.

A shot that I learned from Andy Wiler, seems obvious, but I thought it was genius. Using a VERY soft putter (we call it his slice of bologna,) he'll throw a grenade shot, but not up in the air as a lob, but right at the basket, say if it's a tough middling distance, or trending downhill, with danger past the bucket.

Literally a line-drive grenade shot, stops on a dime, you can throw it out of the woods with almost no line.

Trying to get there

I use a Comet for almost every drive now between the 220ft to 350ft shots.

My buddies can't believe how versatile this disc is.Hyzers,Straight and Turnovers this disc can do easily, once you are familiar with it.

I've been trying to work the Comet into my bag. It's greatness can be it's downfall...versatility. I'm still trying to get it to hold certain lines, and I still occasionally overcook it and get the wobbly cut-roller thing.

I think you're right though that few discs go as many places as you want with less effort.

I agree with this when low cieling is an issue, but I like to throw an R-Pro Aviar upside down, pancake-style, to get around those short little corners too.

Low ceiling, 350+, L-to-R holes, moderately wooded (I'm particularly thinking of #16 at Lorch Park Beaver in Cedar Hill, TX), I use a beat-in Buzzz or BuzzzSS on a BH roller.

I have actually gone too far past it a couple times. Trickier because you have to put it on the ground earlier and right in the gap, because of the light woods which pretty much dictate the shot.

Maybe someday when I've mastered sick control on a low anhyzer I'll change, but for now that's my "against the grain" type shot.

If your Zone holds lines, then you must be ripping it as hard as me. I only see Zones thrown on hyzers or flex shots. I don't know anyone else (besides you!) who throws them for straight shots. Typically they are too overstable to hold a line for more than 200'.

Anywho, we are in the same boat!
:hfive:
get a pro d one and throw it into a wall for 20min it will go straight and not fade much

Until I lost it, I used an insanely beat up yet freakishly overstable FLX Surge SS for all kinds of utility shots...it was weird and amazing. But its gone, and I will never find another one like it.

i frieakn love using my beat in pro leo that is an easy turn over disc, for hyzer approaches. I will just put enough on it for it to glide and then it will carry for a long time