• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What discs do you throw grenades with?

elnino

* Ace Member *
so i was wondering what do you guys throw for grenade shots over tall objects.

Grenade is the same as a tomahawk right..?

Anyways if Yes.. I use a Champ Orc.. It's nice.
My cousin uses a beat DX Eagle.. Well he losed it yesterday so we got him a new DX Eagle.. He was forced to use a X Buzzz for a few holes though.

i thought a grenade was holding the disc upside down

For the sake of preventing future questions as well as educating me (i have no idea what a tommy is, if thats an abbreviation for a tomahawk then i feel dumb lol) can someone explain the difference in a hammer, tommy, tomahawk, and grenade?

A grenade is thrown like a backhand hyzer, but with the disc upside down. Most people use pretty overstable discs, they tend to go straight up and come straight back down. Very predictable for getting over obstacles, and they stick where they land. I throw them primarily with banshees and firebirds but occasionally I'll use a wizard for a shorter grenade.

the way i know it: tomahawk- aka tommy- is with the index finger inside the rim. thumber- thumb inside the rim. grenade- disc upside down. terminology may vary from place to place.

I think Tommy,Tomahawk and hammer are the same.And a grenade is when you put your thumb flat in the rim and throw it like a flick`ish type shot.

Not 100% on any of that just a shot in the dark with the little I know about overhand throws.

For the sake of preventing future questions as well as educating me (i have no idea what a tommy is, if thats an abbreviation for a tomahawk then i feel dumb lol) can someone explain the difference in a hammer, tommy, tomahawk, and grenade?

Hammer, tommy, and tomahawk are all the same shots. (Hammer is the more accepted use in the disc world.) Grenade is an upside down backhand.

I thought a grenade was like a hammer, but turned over to the side like forehand.

That would be called a scoober, if I'm understanding you right.

I know this video is ultimate, but it's the same for DG.

Thanks slayer, that makes a lot of sense. I appreciate your explanation.

I guess I'm still extremely confused.. I cant view the videos up there on my iPod.. Somebody want to PM me a link so I can see this.. I'd really appreciate it!

Ok, I'll do what I can to help.

For a grenade, imagine throwing a hyzer. Okay, now flip the disc upside down. The bottom of your disc should be facing your body, your thumb should be on the inside rim, and your index middle and ring finger will be on the flight plate. So literally, throw hyzer and flip the disc.

I'm assuming everyone knows how to throw hammers.

I usually throw a fuse for grenades, it's the first thing I ever threw it with and I just got used to how the fuse handled it.

Ok, I'll do what I can to help.

For a grenade, imagine throwing a hyzer. Okay, now flip the disc upside down. The bottom of your disc should be facing your body, your thumb should be on the inside rim, and your index middle and ring finger will be on the flight plate. So literally, throw hyzer and flip the disc.

I'm assuming everyone knows how to throw hammers.

I usually throw a fuse for grenades, it's the first thing I ever threw it with and I just got used to how the fuse handled it.

I understand what it is now.. I just dont see the purpose now lol.

It gives a very hard stop, trying throwing one sometime. Say for example you had a 45' approach shot but there is water 50' away (5' past the basket). If you want to throw a gentle approach, you can throw a grenade and when it hits the ground it will literally bounce ("explode") and it will stop where it hits.

It's also useful if you have to throw over something right in front of you and you don't want to throw a hammer and have it skip 20'.

So essentially, it gives you a much harder stop without the risk of a skip. You should definitely try it out.