• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is a Hyser-flip shot??

It's releasing an understable disc with a lot of hyzer and snap and letting the snap pull the disc through to straighten the flight. Flies a mile and flattens straighter than more stable drivers. Good to get a little height on these shots.

Thanks for the explanation - I've been wondering this myself.

Are there any tutorials on the different types of releases and the resulting flight patterns out there?

A hyzer flip is what most people throw for maximum distance... A shot like this will go especially far with a tailwind.

If you are trying to throw a hyzer flip, it is easiest to do with a lightweight understable disc (sidewinder, xl, valkyrie, monarch). Also, you can achieve this with a more stable disc the has been beat up nicely.

Thanks, for the details, I often use an overstable disc and throw it with a lot of anhyser and snap it rides right then flattens out and finishes a little left (RHBH) is this called a helix shot. I will try it the other way also.

What you are talking about is an anhyzer shot. A hyzer flip will start out like a hyzer shot, then flip over to the right and eventually fade back to the left at the end.

Here's the description from the Innova website plus the link to their very helpful glossary of terms section. Their site has a lot of information beyond just touting their own merchandise... although it is quite effective at that too.

"Hyzer Flip – The Hyzer Flip is very similar to an S-shot but follows a straighter line. An understable disc is thrown very fast with a hyzer angle of release. The disc will naturally turn or "flip" and bring its nose down in the process. This allows for a long straight glide."

http://www.innovadiscs.com/faq/glossary.html

Here's the description from the Innova website plus the link to their very helpful glossary of terms section. Their site has a lot of information beyond just touting their own merchandise... although it is quite effective at that too.

"Hyzer Flip – The Hyzer Flip is very similar to an S-shot but follows a straighter line. An understable disc is thrown very fast with a hyzer angle of release. The disc will naturally turn or "flip" and bring its nose down in the process. This allows for a long straight glide."

http://www.innovadiscs.com/faq/glossary.html

Thanks for the better description. BTW, I frickin' love your Conan the Barbarian quote. I never tire of that film. John Milius is the man!

OK, so is there a technical name for throwing an ani with an overstable disc and having it flip back? :confused:

Thanks for the better description. BTW, I frickin' love your Conan the Barbarian quote. I never tire of that film. John Milius is the man!

Thanks man. Conan the Barbarian is why I don't talk about my favorite movie whenever the subject comes up. People just look at me like I have two heads. :D

OK, so is there a technical name for throwing an ani with an overstable disc and having it flip back? :confused:

Again, many thanks to our friends at Innova for the following...

"Flex Shot – The Flex Shot is preformed by throwing and overstable disc with an anhyzer angle of release down the left side of the fairway (for RHBH thrower). The disc travels from left to right then the natural overstability of the disc and gravity turn the disc back to the left. It is a very reliable shot that pros use."

Nice thanks....man that was a fast answer brother.