• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] What mids do you bag?

Just curious, but why do people give up on learning fan grip?

Since when has a technique you're not used to felt immediately comfortable? I originally threw with 3 fingers because I hated any other grip. Any attempt at a power grip(modified or normal) caused my Rocs/ any deeper discs to flutter like a wounded duck, turn hard right, and just generally be crap.

It took practice and ONLY practice(I just played rounds with them exclusively) to get used to it. Seriously no reason to throw a power grip for every throw. If you can't throw your mids or putters reliably, get out and play some catch with your friends or something. Grab an Aero, Mako, Pure, Claymore, Comet etc. and try and have some fun. DG can be super hard, but we can teach ourselves to do things like fan-gripping if you just work at it.

update
2 suspects (lucid, blend)
k1 kaxeZ
lucid justice

been pretty happy with this. I forhand and backhand equally average so I ditched an US mid. kaxeZ is a lot like a ce leo, justice is a faster gator and the suspect is pretty similar to my champ glo rancho roc

Since when has a technique you're not used to felt immediately comfortable? I originally threw with 3 fingers because I hated any other grip. Any attempt at a power grip(modified or normal) caused my Rocs/ any deeper discs to flutter like a wounded duck, turn hard right, and just generally be crap.

It took practice and ONLY practice(I just played rounds with them exclusively) to get used to it. Seriously no reason to throw a power grip for every throw. If you can't throw your mids or putters reliably, get out and play some catch with your friends or something. Grab an Aero, Mako, Pure, Claymore, Comet etc. and try and have some fun. DG can be super hard, but we can teach ourselves to do things like fan-gripping if you just work at it.

My mid game took off when I started using the fan grip. Lordy did I griplock mids and putters until I learned this.

OMG Monkey how are you not bagging a Truth in the Buzzz spot???

Kidding, I'm actually more genuinely curious than incredulous. You seem to throw a lot of trilogy and that was one of the easiest, best changes I made for my game when I switched. Do you strongly prefer the Buzzz? Which plastics and why? tia.

I bag quite a few mids and mostly just throw a Truth and Harp. Claymore and Verdict situationally. I consider the Warship a fairway driver.

Last edited:

Can't speak for anyone else, but I fan grip with my putting stroke, and four-finger-grip everything else. I was using the 3-finger grip originally, and found better, more consistent results with a four-finger grip. And that started with a Mako3, by the way. It got better when I found that the third and fourth aren't gripping as tightly as the first two and thumb.

Like the address in golf-ball golf, grip is key in disc golf. I agree with you that experimentation and practice is a great key in learning to throw consistently and more accurately and longer. But if the four-finger-grip works on and for everything, by all means go with it.

Fan grip is the best grip for mids and putter drives. I learned this back in 2000 I think when I seen one guy in a doubles tournament using that grip. I was curious as to why he held it like that so I asked. He said it gives more consistent and clean releases. Also where Mids and putters are slower you can get more power on them than if you used a power grip on a mid or putter. So what he said stuck with me and I've used that grip ever since.

Because there is no point. I throw more accurately with a power grip. Fan grip is only for shots outside jump putt range and inside power grip range. That might encompass like a 30 foot range. The only reason I use it is because it's so easy to get a super stalled out nose up touch shot. Other than that I think its useless. That is the only way I can throw clean with a fan grip. If I drive with a fan grip I lose power and control and i worry about slips. Plus the fingers catch more on the rim for me. For me, a fan grip causes flutter. Power grip is perfectly clean release.

Why don't you just throw with a power grip? That's what I throw my Polecats, ridges, vp, rocs, wizards, kc aviars, comets, ghosts/insert beaded disc here with. And they fly quite well. You should practice it more. ;)

Last edited:
For whatever reason a power grip isn't, or doesn't feel, as strong for me. I feel like the disc falls out of my hand and fingers. Sometimes I do three finger, sometimes fan.
Everyone's different. Just experiment and use what works for you.

Because there is no point. I throw more accurately with a power grip. Fan grip is only for shots outside jump putt range and inside power grip range. That might encompass like a 30 foot range. The only reason I use it is because it's so easy to get a super stalled out nose up touch shot. Other than that I think its useless. That is the only way I can throw clean with a fan grip. If I drive with a fan grip I lose power and control and i worry about slips. Plus the fingers catch more on the rim for me. For me, a fan grip causes flutter. Power grip is perfectly clean release.

Why don't you just throw with a power grip? That's what I throw my Polecats, ridges, vp, rocs, wizards, kc aviars, comets, ghosts/insert beaded disc here with. And they fly quite well. You should practice it more. ;)

I think a few top level pros would disagree with you as all they throw is the a fan grip. You are kind of off in this whole post really.

12x KC Pro Rocs all max weight. Wonderful performance but if you are going any kind of Roc path then just make sure you find the one you like and then buy 2 or 3 more ASAP from the same carrier to lessen the chances of getting different runs of disc. You want it to almost feel like you're throwing the same disc eveytime but just with different flight paths. The Rocs popularity and mass quantity are its only cons, because it's hard to replace one that's lost. But back to the OP, just one mold in my bag for Mids :)

@aim

my entire post was about me, What works best for me, how I throw and also my opinion about someone else stating how we should try and throw fan grip because power grip doesn't work for him. I simply stood on the other side of the fence and that last bit was completely tongue in cheek. I advocate people throwing what works for their game. Not always working on something because it's supposedly better. Sorry if that wasn't apparent.

Don't care what the pros do.

For now I'm not throwing mids. It's been fun. :). Definitely miss my rocs and comets though.

I fan grip for shots within 150' where I need a finesse line. You can put a lot of spin compared to speed on the disc that way which is good for holding a line. And releases tend to be clean which also helps. Good for placement upshots.

I Can't imagine trying to get any real distance that way though. I throw truths 350+ and im not doing that with a fan grip.

@aim

my entire post was about me, What works best for me, how I throw and also my opinion about someone else stating how we should try and throw fan grip because power grip doesn't work for him. I simply stood on the other side of the fence and that last bit was completely tongue in cheek. I advocate people throwing what works for their game. Not always working on something because it's supposedly better. Sorry if that wasn't apparent.

Don't care what the pros do.

For now I'm not throwing mids. It's been fun. :). Definitely miss my rocs and comets though.

ah AIIIIIIIGHT. I hears ya. No mids?! Well, I can hear that too honestly they are pretty much the tweeners of DG.

Since Legacy finally made Protege Ghosts:

I bag an Excel Ghost and a new Protege Ghost.

OMG Monkey how are you not bagging a Truth in the Buzzz spot???

Kidding, I'm actually more genuinely curious than incredulous. You seem to throw a lot of trilogy and that was one of the easiest, best changes I made for my game when I switched. Do you strongly prefer the Buzzz? Which plastics and why? tia.

I bag quite a few mids and mostly just throw a Truth and Harp. Claymore and Verdict situationally. I consider the Warship a fairway driver.

I have a couple of Truths, Bio-Fuzion and Prime, and they are pretty good. Buzzz was the 2nd mid I bought (after Shark), and I just made enough good shots with it that I have a ton of respect for the mold. I've only thrown lower plastic, Pro-D and Elite X. Got a Z Buzzz recently that's in the waiting to try pile. Warship is still#1, Buzzz is loyalty, but I like a lot of mids in this slot, Truth included.

I hear you on the 'Ship tho - it's getting too long for what I used it for in the past.

I have a couple of Truths, Bio-Fuzion and Prime, and they are pretty good. Buzzz was the 2nd mid I bought (after Shark), and I just made enough good shots with it that I have a ton of respect for the mold. I've only thrown lower plastic, Pro-D and Elite X. Got a Z Buzzz recently that's in the waiting to try pile. Warship is still#1, Buzzz is loyalty, but I like a lot of mids in this slot, Truth included.

I hear you on the 'Ship tho - it's getting too long for what I used it for in the past.

My Biofuzion and Prime Truths are on the opposite side of the Truth stability spectrum from each other. The Biofuzion is only slightly more stable than my VIPs and Fluids, but the Prime Truth does not have the HSS it should. very touchy compared to the other blends.

I've only tried buzzzes in premiums (Ti, Z, Cryztal Z.) I like the rim better on the Truth and in my experience the mold consistency has been great; much less consistent in my experience with buzzzes, but I do have a lot of respect for the mold. IMO the Truth is just a reeeaaallly good Buzzz clone.

FLX Buzzz (main)
Z Buzzz
Ti or Z Wasp
Crystal FLX Drone
DX Cobra
Sometimes I might add a prodigy M2 depending on circumstances.

I sometimes try a Crystal FLX Buzzz or a Buzzz GT. I use to carry a Stingray instead of a cobra. The under stable slot is always in flux. I have tried a lighter ace race, squall or Crystal Buzzz for this slot.

Justice, Verdict, Buzzz and M4 now. Loving this setup. Covers all shots. Along with my mini mid...the Opto Pure

My Biofuzion and Prime Truths are on the opposite side of the Truth stability spectrum from each other. The Biofuzion is only slightly more stable than my VIPs and Fluids, but the Prime Truth does not have the HSS it should. very touchy compared to the other blends.

I think that holds true for all prime molds: they're a bit less stable the way Fluid and Frost are a bit more stable (at least for Fury, Claymore, and Truth). I can imagine a Witness would get very flippy pretty quickly.

Latest posts