• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What rule would you change?

I can't really think of many besides bringing back the taco's and counting drot's would be a nice addition .

must be up to the TD then. still ridiculous they would play this rule in a sanctioned tourny. it was an extremely rugged course where certain situations could be dangerous, but that's another story, and another ruling altogether. im glad its not a pdga thing.

It is in the rules, section 803.05 as follows...

B. Casual Obstacles to a Stance: A player may obtain relief only from the following obstacles that are in the stance or run-up area: casual water, loose leaves or debris, broken branches no longer connected to a tree, motor vehicles, harmful insects or animals, players' equipment, people, or any item or area specifically designated by the director before the round. The player must first attempt to remove the obstacle. If it is impractical to move the obstacle, the player's lie may be relocated to the nearest lie which is no closer to the hole, is on the line of play, and is not more than five meters from the original lie, as agreed to by a majority of the group or an official (unless greater casual relief is announced by the director).

C. Optional Relief: A player may declare that he or she is taking optional relief. The lie may then be relocated to a new lie that is no closer to the hole, and on the line of play. The original throw plus one penalty throw are counted in the player's score.

D. In situations where it is unclear if an object may be moved or other relief obtained, it shall be determined by a majority of the group or an official.

In the situation you originally mentioned, casual water, loose leaves or debris, broken branches no longer connected to a tree, motor vehicles, harmful insects or animals, players' equipment, people, or any item or area specifically designated by the director before the round would qualify for relief without penalty. This usually applies for casual water (big puddles), but logs and large piles of branches usually apply as well. I disagree with this rule unless the reason is dangerous; I believe that if its in casual water, you should stand in the water. Obviously a nest of ground bees is a different animal (insect).

I'm not going to go about insulting anybody - but I do agree that wishing that DROT's, wedgies, etc. counted is just plain whining. It's mainly done by people who don't putt well anyway, because those that do understand that you adapt your shot to the standardized device, not the device to your individual shot style.

I like the idea of requiring the disc to hit the ground first before going OB to have a lie (and not re-tee) but the problem is this would slow tournament play significantly more IMO, and god knows that doesn't need to happen.

I have two things I would change - and they both have more to do with competition standards than actual rules of play:

1. If your disc lands below the basket (i.e. slides up to the pole under the tray), your mark is directly underneath the outer edge of the tray for the next shot (a drop-in). I don't believe "defense" in disc golf where the basket can knock your disc out of your hand (especially when you're not in a throwing motion) as you bring it up and that counts as a stroke. To me that's ridiculous...again this is a small thing because if it's a drop in you can always just put ANY disc from your bag into the tray anyway.

2. For A-tiers and above (B-tiers would be nice too, but unrealistic) there is arequirement for an official to be on every hole to calls things such as foot faults, marks lies for OB, etc. There's too much peer pressure and vindictiveness on the "call vs. don't call" when it relies on the players within the card. I've seen a scenario where two people were friends on a card, and one got a foot fault called on him by a third person who wasn't local. It was seconded by the fourth person. Later in the round the friends called and seconded a foot fault even on that non-local player after he threw a perfectly legal shot. This sort of thing should be prevented from happening.

I like the idea of requiring the disc to hit the ground first before going OB to have a lie (and not re-tee) but the problem is this would slow tournament play significantly more IMO, and god knows that doesn't need to happen.

How so? If you are on the teepad, you see your disc fly OB and you re-tee. If you are playing a lie, you simply throw again from that lie. The only time I could see it slowing down play is if you can't see the disc fly OB (through trees or something), in which case isn't it already recommended to throw a provisional?

Some people like these baskets. I am sure that there are holes out ther which you like and other people hate. WOuld you like rules that forbid them ?

Some people would probably like to build a windmill in the front that on random could slap your disc down, doesnt make it a good idea. Having some consistency in basket design can only be a good thing.

The use of the METRIC system. No offense to the countries that use the metric system but the majority of the Disc Golf courses are in America. And when explain the length rules to various people I end up using the American way of measurement. What's next the PDGA rules in Spanish.

The use of the METRIC system. No offense to the countries that use the metric system but the majority of the Disc Golf courses are in America. And when explain the length rules to various people I end up using the American way of measurement. What's next the PDGA rules in Spanish.

^^ agreed

erm, I actually think that it should be in metric. The PDGA is after world disc golf dominance, and as such it needed to have a rule set that works for everyone. Metric measurements are taught in high schools and Americans can usually do metric measurements fairly well. On the flip side, feet are not very well understood by those outside the US. Plus metric is awesome, and no I'm not a pinko.

I'd eliminate the putting rule. Follow through and jump putting should be allowed! If someones foot hits the ground before the disc leaves their hand, give them a stroke and make them putt from the same spot. If everyone can do it then what's the problem? And it's not like watching for a foot fault is hard, I mean what else do you really need to be looking at?

I have a strong hate for this rule because it forces me to putt open handed.

If we allow that wouldn't it be ok to swing like tarzan on a branch towards a pin for huge distance differences? The problem is that people have developed a style of jump putting that is just plain illegal. When they eventually run into someone that calls them on it, they spend the rest of their time trying to make the illegal putt fit into the rules. Just putt like normal and admit that you may have to adapt your form outside of 50'. I have a sweet jump forward turbo putt that works very well, but I'm not about to argue that it should be legal just because it is effective.

Xenophobic much?

I know I'll get flamed. Don't care.
You have your opinion and I have mine.

DROT not counting is the dumbest rule in disc golf.
If it is suspended or supported by the basket or chains, it should count.
:popcorn:

I know I'll get flamed. Don't care.
You have your opinion and I have mine.

DROT not counting is the dumbest rule in disc golf.
If it is suspended or supported by the basket or chains, it should count.
:popcorn:

not flaming, glad you expressed your opinion...just bringing up an analagous situation since you're in ACC heartland.

"In basketball, a shot which gets wedged between the rim and the backboard, or sits on top of the rim (at the connector) without falling through the hoop should be counted as a basket"

But make those discs with custom dye devil girl strippers illegal, I guarantee nobody ever "pulled some wool" because some badass chic saw that on their driver...

not flaming, glad you expressed your opinion...just bringing up an analagous situation since you're in ACC heartland.

"In basketball, a shot which gets wedged between the rim and the backboard, or sits on top of the rim (at the connector) without falling through the hoop should be counted as a basket"

Not the same thing.
What if the ball gets caught in the net and doesn't come through?
Does it count? (This used to happen a lot back when we used cotton nets instead of nylon.)

Not the same thing.

Well I must point out another basketball rule then which I think should be implemented in DG, and it equates putting to shooting free throws:

The player shooting a free throw may not enter the lane before the ball hits the rim. If he does it's a lane violation and the free throw is negated. But they can have a foot fall forward into the lane AFTER the ball has hit the rim without penalty, almost ALL of them do that in the Pros.

I think putting should be the same, you can have ONE foot touch the ground immediately past your lie, but only after your disc actually hits the basket. This would solve a lot of the jump putting stuff as well, I think.

I have a great style I had to abandon that was much like a bowler where the back foot crosses my lie after I hit chains. I'd get called for a foot fault yet I would "demonstrate balance" and my front plant foot never even moves.

It's much like a free-throw shooter whose momentum take him just past the line AFTER the shot is released and hits rim, because it's only a natural motion to have a shift in balance. If you stand there like a statue it's just unnatural to many people. You get rhythm from using your whole body, not just from the elbow on.

Latest posts