• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What should I change?

Here's a new video I recorded yesterday. The throw that "felt" best is at 3:10.
Watch when you start your pull compared to when you plant your foot on that throw and compare it to the others. It's just the slightest bit later, which is what you want.

I'll try to explain what happens, but the easiest way to learn to do it is still via the hammer pound drills. Think of these more as suggestions on things to experiment with to get a stronger hammer pound rather than a list of things to fix.

It may help to slow it down a bit. Someone else can correct me if this doesn't sound right, but the way I understand it is you'll plant your foot. Then you'll shift your weight from your back foot to your front foot. Your weight should start on the back foot. As your shifting you'll go from your reach back to the power zone. You're relaxed this whole time and the only effort you're putting into anything is shifting your weight. Then the magic happens.

It looks like it's a lot easier for you to throw now. Does that sound right? Seeing more glide is what I'd expect from the changes you've made. You definitely have the ability to get Rocs to 300' once you get the weight shift and timing figured out better. I think if you're willing to work at it you can throw Teebirds 400' but I understand that goal seems lofty right now. I think hitting 300' with Rocs is a really reasonable goal. Once you're able to do that it's "only" a matter of fixing the hit, which is easier than you think if you've already built your throw from the hit back once.

Hopefully the last month hasn't been as painful as you thought. It looks like you've made some good progress.

I see what you mean about the timing between the start of the pull and the planting of the plant foot. A long time ago I made a change in my throw to adjust this timing, but my recent changes seem to have re-introduced the problem. No worries, though, I'm still moving in the right direction.

It's definitely getting easier to throw, and the disc no longer feels like it's "fluffing" out of my hand. I've always suspected I was wasting a lot of energy at the point of the disc's release from my hand, but I couldn't figure out where I was losing it. I'm feeling that much less now. Also my right knee is not as stiff all the time. I wasn't sure if that was a side-effect of my disc golf throw or of sitting in the cube farm behind a desk all day in a not-quite-comfortable chair. Could be some of both. I have been feeling physically stiff in my lower back and hamstrings a lot recently, but my plan is to blame that on the Sleep Number bed I've been sleeping on. I had a dream last night that I was moving furniture. Not sure where that came from. :|

I'll keep working on it and make more effort to slow down my rhythm.

Watch when you start your pull compared to when you plant your foot on that throw and compare it to the others. It's just the slightest bit later, which is what you want.

I'll try to explain what happens, but the easiest way to learn to do it is still via the hammer pound drills. Think of these more as suggestions on things to experiment with to get a stronger hammer pound rather than a list of things to fix.

It may help to slow it down a bit. Someone else can correct me if this doesn't sound right, but the way I understand it is you'll plant your foot. Then you'll shift your weight from your back foot to your front foot. Your weight should start on the back foot. As your shifting you'll go from your reach back to the power zone. You're relaxed this whole time and the only effort you're putting into anything is shifting your weight. Then the magic happens.

It looks like it's a lot easier for you to throw now. Does that sound right? Seeing more glide is what I'd expect from the changes you've made. You definitely have the ability to get Rocs to 300' once you get the weight shift and timing figured out better. I think if you're willing to work at it you can throw Teebirds 400' but I understand that goal seems lofty right now. I think hitting 300' with Rocs is a really reasonable goal. Once you're able to do that it's "only" a matter of fixing the hit, which is easier than you think if you've already built your throw from the hit back once.

Hopefully the last month hasn't been as painful as you thought. It looks like you've made some good progress.

Latest posts