• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] What was the first disc you ever threw?

My first discs were a DX Gazelle, a DX Banshee and a DX XD. I played Brewer park with some friends from work, I was a senior in high school in 1995. I was hooked after that...

Feb 91' My first two discs were a Bearcat(with a Lightning stamp) that I actually got my first Ace with like a year later and a Scorpion. Scorpions stayed in the bag quite a while until the Viper and then Cyclone came out.

classic cobra in dx plastic. Nate Doss's dad sold it to me at De LaVeaga. Still have it!

The first disc I threw was a borrowed, beat to hell ultra long driver cheetah.

believe it or not it was a firebird for me...my brother and I got it and of course we had no clue what the ratings for discs meant.

An Aviar towards (notice I didn't say "into") the practice basket.

I first played disc golf with a Whamm-O Frisbee at Calvert Road Park. Throwing a frisbee for distance under the low tree canopy was tough. Not long afterwards my friend scored an Aviar, and we were all insanely jealous of his ability to throw low and far.

Yeah, this was a long time ago, prolly around 1984 when the Aviar was approved.

Great question...

My first time at my home course was with a lid. We were bored and just wanted a place to smoke lol. We then met a guy named Clarence in his 60's, who played with discs. He was such a nice guy. He gave all of us DX plastic and I was hooked ever since. It was a DX Cobra (warn tourney stamp, couldn't tell what it was)

I loved that disc, wish I knew where it was.....

My first disc was a DX Viper. I didn't know anything about discs or how they flew, so I got the one with the snake. It was my only disc for a good 2 years and my main disc for at least 3. It hugely hindered my learning as did only ever playing with one other person who was also a noob. I could not get that thing over 70' because I was holding and throwing it completely wrong and nobody was around to tell me. Still got me hooked though.

I now have it hanging up on my wall. It's dented to hell, the stamp is all rubbed off and it has a huge crease across the flight plate. Love that disc.

175g red pro valkyrie...still have it...my friend which was a noob at the time as well, crossed out valkyrie in sharpie and wrote destroyer since i hit so many things with it...we had no idea that the destroyer was an actual disc haha

174ish white Wraith on the lawn at my house. First to throw it on the course, (Klaus Park, Jamestown, ND), too. Later lost it in a septic pond by my cousin's house in Kansas.

When my girlfriend and I picked up our first discs at a sporting goods store in Portland, Oregon (or was it Vancouver, WA?) and we had no idea that the discs were different. We picked mostly based on how cool we thought the stamp was.

We mostly threw the Wraith if we needed it to "curve" lol. Now I am picking the Wraith back up and I'm starting to like it.

First disc I ever threw was an Elite X XS. Still a good disc, but can get a little flippy. But a new X XS is a great disc to throw. Straight as an arrow when thrown flat... Tye dye X XS's, by the way, are the best.

I bought 3 discs when I started

DX Viper
DX Stingray
DX Aviar

Pretty sure the first course I went to I broke out the one I thought would go the furthest (Viper):doh: