• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] What would is the ONE disc you start a beginner with?

DX Stingray.

It has a small rim(easier to grip).Easiest to throw flat and has good glide.

I'm not so sure I would be giving them a putter to start out with,but that's just me.If I did I would give them an R-Pro Dart.Nice and grippy,has great glide and has a small rim like the Stingray.

XXX

When they get all frustrated, I toss em a Buzzz and tell them it's the fact that the disc was a driver that was too fast for them. A little lie can go a lon way. By the time they realize that I lied, hopefully they will understand my motives. :p

I would get a shark because I started not so long ago and the shark was the best one for me. It has a nice thickness so you can grab it real well but I have a blue shark and it is a DX and it has an O.K. Grip. The shark is the best one that I have that I would say to start out with.

An Epic.

Wait no? When I started playing that was the disc I learned to play with - no, seriously. :) Ignorance is bliss I suppose.

I'd probably just give them a buzzz until they got the hang of it, and gave them a driver tht felt comfortable to them until we figured out their throw.

Well, my dad recently expressed interest in the game. We used to play some long range catch when I was a kid with a 175 ultimate disc. back then, he would RHBH that thing 200-250'ish pretty regularly. Now, that was 15 years ago and he has had 3 spine surgeries and a fixed acl. He's also starting to pick up some arthritis in his mid 50's. He does still work out regularly though, strength training, next to no cardio.

What would you suggest for him (used to catch discs) so he doesn't get bummed out when I really rip a driver?

Anything really. Sure some discs are probably "easier" than others, but you can learn with any disc. Everyone is different so you cannot just assume that there is one "beginner disc" that will help them progress quickly. If it's their first time don't even bother buying them a disc, just let them go with you so you can let them choose from a variety. This way you can easily explain the differences between range and stability. They will eventually need to buy their own disc to play with sure, but you shouldn't be choosing the disc for them.

Stalker, Buzzz, Comet, Pro-D Magnet
The comet is probably just about the closest you will get to a catch disc in disc golf. For someone first starting out, I suggest going with some lighter discs.

R-PRO DART
Has a nice feel, flies very straight, good glide, shallow rim is easy to grip, and flies remarkably far for a putter. If I could add a second disc, it'd probably be a lightweight DX LEOPARD, but the Dart is certainly the one disc choice.

Latest posts