• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What's the coldest day you'll play?

As long as I'm not losing discs in the snow I'll be out there

Tape a ribbon on your plastic and keep huckin'.

Played a fundraiser snow bowl last year, it had to be like 15-20° with 12" that fell the night before. Temp course. No pads. Just don't thaw out between rounds. I went to mcdonald's for lunch, and damn near froze solid on the second round. All the snow and ice that clung to me on the first round melted inside, and froze again, closer to the skin. :( I leaned about the advantages of cover-alls and synthetic underlayers that day.

Played 18 at Hiestand from Madison this afternoon. 22 degrees. "Real feel"?

11 degrees.

Also there is probably 1/2" of snow on the ground.

Child's play.

I play every weekend during the winter and haven't missed any rounds due to weather. I work outdoors so i'm acclimated and i believe that really helps. I'm also a firm believer in wearing quality outdoor clothing that's lightweight and warm. We played a round last winter with a wind chill of -10 below and 30 to 40 mph winds. The only downside to cold temps is the fact that older dx plastic will shatter and break.

wind is more of a deal breaker for me than temperature. last year, I slipped on ice and backhanded a tree. I will not be playing in slippery conditions this winter.

My first tournament, was a few weeks ago. It was the 1st of 10 tournaments in a Winter series, and oh boy did id rain, hail and kick up some wind. We set up a temporary course with portable baskets and it is only ten holes, so we played two rounds and took a lunch break and then played two more. Altogether, we played about 6.5 hrs of disc golf. I'd guess it rained for about half of it, but not real bad. But at 930 at signup it was FROZEN. Fingers getting stiff and numb and everything. WELCOME TO THE WINTER SERIES. Gotta love disc golf.

I find once I have to start wearing too many layers to stay warm, I lose too much mobility, even with a simplified standstill drive.

Also, if my big poofy gloves aren't enough to keep my fingers warm between drives, I can't grip the disc and end up either having it rip out too early or imparting a bunch of OAT.

In generally, if the temperature is below 20 degrees, I'm probably going to pass. And I HATE having a weekend pass without playing a round.

That said, with some Underarmour-type layers, a sweatshirt, and a windbreaker, you can stay surprisingly warm in fairly cold temperatures.

I played on Monday and it was 18 degrees with a wind chill significantly less than that lol. I made it through 13 holes but had to bugger out early as my layered cold weather approach didn't stand a chance to the wind in the wide open portion of the course. However my wife got me a new set of base layer this week so that might be helpful in keeping me out in the cold a bit longer

My last ace was in January...nineteen degrees outside! I wrote that on my disc for some reason. It was cold, but definitely worth it!

I'm born and raised in the SF Bay Area, so cold weather (below 55 degree foggy stuff) isn't really my bag. Drove up to Oregon last week for Thanksgiving though and played Milo (Riverbend) near Portland in about 38 degree weather. First time I had played Disc in a long sleeved jacket and was pleased it didn't totally throw me off. Still played in shorts though, I don't do pants.

BDA

My last ace was in January...nineteen degrees outside! I wrote that on my disc for some reason. It was cold, but definitely worth it!
^^ def worth noting! :clap:
We played a glow event the other night at Brevard College. It started off at about 33 degrees. Stayed at that for most of the night but dropped down to 28 degrees & you could def feel the difference. Brrr! But play continued & we didnt really have a problem with it. If you dress accordingly you should be ok with the cold. Over-dressing or bulky clothing can hinder your style though :p

Growing up in the Chicagoland area, I've decided that I will tolerate temps 25 and above, with no to low winds. Any moderate wind...better be 35 or higher. That is for solo rounds. Might as well enjoy your time out there.

Playing a round with a few buddies with high competition... as long as I can feel my fingers, I'll be good to go.