• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] What's the disc that's totally changed your game?

DiscinFiend

* Ace Member *
Whats the disc that's totally changed your game?

I've recently been trying to mix things up a bit, as far as what discs I bag. After doing some field work with discs I normally wouldn't bag, I fell in love with a max weight Champion Dart. I thought I'd hate how domey it is, but I ended up loving it. It's laser straight with only very little fade at the end. What's really surprised me is how much farther I can throw it than my KC Aviars. I knew the Dart was sneaky long for a putter, but I never thought it would consistently go 30' or more past my KCs. It's in my bag & I don't see it coming out anytime soon. The four casual rounds I've played with it so far have been great. I found myself not having to power down a mid on holes I normally do. I never thought I'd see the day I'd willingly decided to bag a Dart...a Champ Dart none the less :D

I know theres a thread similar to this one, so don't Preube me. It just hasn't been posted in since 2011. Many new molds, plastics & companies have come out since then. I want a fresh perspective on this topic. Discuss :popcorn:
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47280

There have been a few but none as much as the Firebird.

I was scoring okay about 3 years ago throwing mostly OH shots and the occasional noobish BH but I got the Firebird and it taught me to FH.

I've gone from basically a one shot player with a sore arm from the many OH shots to being a more legit golfer.
I've still come a long way since and have further to go for my game to be where I'd like it to be, but that was the game way to me getting to the place I am now.

ESP Zone for me. Awesome approach and short range driver. Nothing quite like it at that speed can resist torque and still fade. Great point and shoot FH disc as well.

S-PD is up there as well. Simply put, it is the longer Teebird.

Envy. Completely changed my throwing style when I learned to drive a putter.

Ditto Firebird. Pure meat.

Until I got a Firebird, if I wanted to throw a RHFH approach I had to improvise with my Starfire which wasn't quite overstable enough to reliably deal with my standard torque-y FH release, hold a line and then fade up right. I would make some good shots here and there with the Starfire but I counted just as many shaky misses. Until I got my meaty 175g Champ Firebird, that is.

The Firebird is not just for forehand shots, either. They're great for BH throws in heavy wind or RHBH shots that call for a heavy right to left hook. The Firebird is my most versatile & reliable disc, to be sure. It opened up a ton more possibilities for me during a round.

The comet. Learning it helped my midrange and approach game out more than anything I've ever tried.

Plus, nothing feels better or looks smoother than being able to really control a neutral midrange with tons of glide. It's the one disc I bag that makes people ask 'what was that?' after I throw it.

Probably the Proxy. It's just amazingly straight when thrown with good form. I had to really focus on releasing with hyzer and snap to get this thing to go, but it's sneaky long and stupidly straight. It was also a great tool for me for throwing controlled anhyzers because of how straight it is: holds the line to the ground so I can't force it over. Taught me good form and is shaving strokes off my score constantly.

892 days ago i asked for help and was told i was throwing too fast of discs.

Stopped throwing the force, boss, destroyer, wraith. Started throwing the disc similiar to a comet i had, which was recommended. The mako.

Mako fixed alot of my issues and totally changed my game. I dont bag one anymore though. Thanks again mako.

Whats the disc that's totally changed your game?

I've recently been trying to mix things up a bit, as far as what discs I bag. After doing some field work with discs I normally wouldn't bag, I fell in love with a max weight Champion Dart. I thought I'd hate how domey it is, but I ended up loving it. It's laser straight with only very little fade at the end. What's really surprised me is how much farther I can throw it than my KC Aviars. I knew the Dart was sneaky long for a putter, but I never thought it would consistently go 30' or more past my KCs. It's in my bag & I don't see it coming out anytime soon. The four casual rounds I've played with it so far have been great. I found myself not having to power down a mid on holes I normally do. I never thought I'd see the day I'd willingly decided to bag a Dart...a Champ Dart none the less :D

I know theres a thread similar to this one, so don't Preube me. It just hasn't been posted in since 2011. Many new molds, plastics & companies have come out since then. I want a fresh perspective on this topic. Discuss :popcorn:
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47280

Totally agree about the Dart, the gstar Dart is awesome to drive with, haven't tried champ but I prefer the firm grippyness of the gstar Dart.

The discs that really changed my game early on were two seasoned champ Vikings, I could throw them over 300' right away. They were easy to grip and control.

I'd have to say the Opto Saint was my big breakthrough disc. I wanted to learn backhand for awhile, and the Saint was the first disc that I really forced myself to start learning backhand.

Although I don't use the saint as much anymore, I owe a lot of my backhand game to the saint!

When the Destroyer first came out, it really opened up new lines for me and changed my approach to a lot of holes. It made a big sweeping hyzer possible where I couldn't reach with a Teerex before.

Wizard, without a doubt. Finding the putter I really feel confident with absolutely changed my game more than any other disc.

The Wizard also taught me how great putters can be off the tee, which in turn developed my form a bit and I have seen improvements with my other discs as a result. So yep - Wizard. Shout out to RDG for making some of the best Wizards out there.

Man there are several good answers to this question for me. I have to say the Teebird was the disc that really cemented the fairway driver as a slot in my bag. Before I threw a Teebird, I pretty much jumped straight from mids to distance drivers and didn't see any use for fairways, but the Teebird taught me how great it is to have accurate, controllable fairway drivers in my bag.

Hard to pick just one, but I guess I'll have to pick the Judge. Taught me how to drive with a putter and improved everything after.

Honorable mention;
Comet
Roc
Eagle-X

I just can't pick one so I'll break it down by type.

Putter: Wizard - love at first putt, and we're still happy six years later
Short range: Zone - I knew after the first round that Drones were not going to be in the bag much longer
Driver: PD - Best control driver in the game

Latest posts