• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] What's the disc that's totally changed your game?

For me it was the Buzzz. Back when I knew nothing about the game I heard from someone good that if I wanted to improve my game I had to learn to throw a midrange far. The Buzzz is the midrange I chose at the time (don't remember why... could just be what I found at PIAS). It's the disc that helped me clean up my form through repeated practice sessions. It's the first mid I threw over 300. It's the first mid I threw over 400. I have a lot of great memories with the Buzzz.

I bag Rocs these days though...

Comet - really forces good form.

And

Zephyr - one disc Zephyr rounds taught me everything I know about course management and strategy. Go shoot par rounds with a Zephyr and you'll never look at a hole the same way again.

Chief-Changed my upshot game and once beat is really twitchy so it really makes you focus on decent form.

The opto pure is ultimately the putter that taught me how to drive with putters, so I'd say that's the biggest one.

It is HSS enough to be forgiving, but neutral enough to discourage really bad form. It showed me what was "good enough" instead of perfect. I had tried a comet before and I absolutely hated it.

Without the pure I probably would never have gotten good at driving putters, meaning I probably would never have thrown a comet again. I picked up the comet again and loved it after I got good with the pure and other putters, which then led me to the polecat.

So I've had a few revelations, none possible without the opto and zero pures I used to drive with.

After reading this thread & thinking hard, I realized that the disc that changed my game most recently was the Dart. It has opened me up to trying new discs. It's helped me sway away from my "traditional Innova bag" (Destroyer, Teebird, Roc, Aviar). It has also showed me that tweener discs can have a slot in my bag. I used to think tweener discs were pointless. The mold that changed my game the most early on was the Teebird. It taught me how to throw flat sidearm & backhand by showing me when I was rolling my wrist. It's the disc when I first started disc golfing that got me to stop throwing flex shots all the time. It was also the disc I learned to throwing overhand with. I still use a Champion Teebird on short overhand shots that require precision accuracy.

Definitely the Wizard, already seeing some wear and tear in my early 30's so working on short game is a must, and grippy, low shoulder Wizards were the putter made for me. Also have to give a shout out to the Teebird, the driver that all others are compared too, got lucky early on playing and snagged an 11x x-out champ from a local retailer who used to drive to Rock Hill and search the bins, got years out of it before losing it, and taught me to flex, sidearm, and overhand.

First, it was the Buzzz. I used it most of the winter a few years back and it taught me a lot about my form and proper disc selection. Before I cut my speed down for that winter, I did what I was originally taught and used a mid inside of 100' only. Once the ground cleared up and I out fairways and drivers back in the bag, I had gained a lot of distance and a whole new theory on the game.

After that, it was the Wizard, which taught me that throwing putters is doable and a very good skill to have. Tight wooded fairways and sub-200' holes will often result in a putter drive from me. Depending on the shot, it'll be a Zone, Wizard, or Voodoo.

Driver Firebird: It's my utility disc. Aside from the sweeping hyzers and flex shots, I've learned how to throw overhand (tomahawks / thumbers) and rollers (forehand) with this disc. It's added a ton of dimensions to my game.

Midrange - Buzzz: When I first started I was amazed at the players that could throw straight with no fade...and I mean laser straight. I had to ask one of my mentor players that question we sometimes get when we throw a good shot: "What did you throw there?" When I found out it was a Buzzz and learned to change the angle of my release, my midrange game improved dramatically.

Putter - Wizard: After playing for awhile I decided to try out the rec division of a local tournament and ended up winning some prizes. I had tried multiple putters up to that point with none really working out for me. On a whim, I picked up two identical Wizards out and began to practice. Now I've thrown the mold 10,000 times over and it's what I reach for most any time I'm within 150' of a basket!

The first disc to give me any degree of comfort throwing off the tee pad was the Teebird.

Mine would be the Z Buzzz. I spent the first few years of my disc golf journey as a Roc loyalist. I started playing the game in 2002, which was about the time the Buzzz came into existence. I talked a crapload of crap about both the Buzzz and the people that happened to throw them. Then, in 2006, I threw one. A max weight Z. Have you heard the expression "love at first throw"? This was that. I went to GGGT, bought my own, and have never looked back.

The disc that changed everything.

I haven't been playing Disc Golf very long almost 2 years now. Well about 8 years ago I was given a 11x Ken Climo Teebird and that's all I had. I threw that well tried to throw that didn't have good form I was just trying to rip it. With no luck I got discouraged and stopped throwing. Fast forward about 5-6 years and a friend of mine asked if I wanted to play I used a few of his discs and thought I need to get my own. I bought a Wraith, Roc, and a Rhyno. Still not having good form I watched YouTube video after video I threw that Roc over and over and then I started seeing an improvement in my drives also. So if I had to say the Roc would be the disc that changed my golf game for sure.

Mine would be the Z Buzzz. I spent the first few years of my disc golf journey as a Roc loyalist. I started playing the game in 2002, which was about the time the Buzzz came into existence. I talked a crapload of crap about both the Buzzz and the people that happened to throw them. Then, in 2006, I threw one. A max weight Z. Have you heard the expression "love at first throw"? This was that. I went to GGGT, bought my own, and have never looked back.

It's important to not be a loyalist and keep an open mind. Silly to keep yourself from finding that perfect disc.

First would have to be those money Lat 64 Rivers that come in between 163-169g. Been throwing those for so many years now, have more different types of Rivers in my bag than any other mold these days.

After the River, I'd say it would be a tie between the MVP Vector and the Discmania PD Freak. Both are sorta over stable discs that taught me that everything in my bag didn't have to be straight-stable or understable (TD2 Fever, River, Diamond Light, Buzzz, Warship, Fuse at the time). And that even though I still can't really use crazy OS discs like the Firebird, Giant or Stiletto, some a little bit OS discs will really help keep my score down on the really windy days.

It's important to not be a loyalist and keep an open mind. Silly to keep yourself from finding that perfect disc.

Believe me, I learned that lesson. That being said, I am currently a Force, Wraith, TeeBird, Buzzz and Aviar loyalist hahahaha. Having rapport with certain molds is good for your mental game. To me it is, anyways.

Believe me, I learned that lesson. That being said, I am currently a Force, Wraith, TeeBird, Buzzz and Aviar loyalist hahahaha. Having rapport with certain molds is good for your mental game. To me it is, anyways.

:thmbup: You find something that works and works well, you stick with it. No harm in experimenting, but if the experiment doesn't beat what you have the rapport with, stick with the rapport....

Good thread, I just read all 6 pages. It's a toss up for me between Rocs and Patriots. Rocs because I've thrown so many in the field dialing in my form and Patriots because they finally taught me to hyzer flip.

Latest posts