• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] What's the worst disc you've ever had/thrown?

Some discs, like the Raging Inferno, I bought knowing they would probably be crummy, but I had to try them anyway! Dimple technology!!! It works for golf balls!!! LOL!

The most disappointing disc I ever got was the 1st mold of the SuperRoc....I think 2004 for some tourney in Iowa?? Anyway, that thing flies nothing like the Roc...just ended up being a short meathook waste of money and bag space.

Somebody let me try some Franklins once. So bad, definitely the worst.

As for disappointing, the DD Thief from the Trilogy Challenge. As a guy who thrives on either Leopards or Mantises, I thought I would like it, but the Thief was simply too unpredictable and turned-to-crash all too often.

What about the Quarter K that came out a number of years ago? Seems like it sorta fell off the Earth or something. Plastic? Inconsistency? Is it even still around? Can't say I've ever seen one on a course anywhere.

Can't believe no one hasn't mentioned this one:

aerobie-sharpshooter-2-golf-disc-color-may-vary_5371041.jpg

Who was the marketing genius that came up with the idea that a disc called #2 should be BROWN?

I didn't have an answer to this until justy this last weekend. Found a champ Mamba at 163g. Threw it twice. It goes so far....

... to the right. Threw if from a 90 degree hyzer, still flipped and went 400' to the right.

I won't say I love the Mamba, but in heavy star or champion plastic they will go a long, long way. Surprisingly long for speed 11.

The super fast, flippy disc I have a love/hate relationship with is the Nuke SS. You really have to finesse it to get the massive distance it promises. Throw it even a little bit wrong and all it'll do is turn and burn. Super finicky.

The super fast, flippy disc I have a love/hate relationship with is the Nuke SS. You really have to finesse it to get the massive distance it promises. Throw it even a little bit wrong and all it'll do is turn and burn. Super finicky.

The Bolt and Nuke SS are both up towards the top for me for the same reasons, mostly. But I've also found them to not want to turn if you throw it wrong also.

I won't say I love the Mamba, but in heavy star or champion plastic they will go a long, long way. Surprisingly long for speed 11.

Try a Nuke SS in the Z lite plastic. When it worked it was a thing of beauty...when it didn't look the heck out.

My Coyote had a massive dome.. What was that stupid gimmicky Disc that you pushed the top in before you drove it?

The Franklin mid-range is easily the worst. Was like a disc golf disc made by an ultimate player. bleh.

Next is the x-clone. Sorry, its just awful. I'm sure in the 90s at one moment it was rad and I can appreciate that now, but wowzer was the one I chucked a turd.

Lightning #2 driver is "dishonorable" mention

Quest Odyssey or the driver that came with my practice basket. I think it was a Saturn. Both discs were absolute trash.

Found a Franklin on my local course once, just laying there with no name on it and looking like brand new, so I thought I gotta throw this once. It only took once! Terrible.

What about the Quarter K that came out a number of years ago? Seems like it sorta fell off the Earth or something. Plastic? Inconsistency? Is it even still around? Can't say I've ever seen one on a course anywhere.

QK protos were outstanding. I thought the production run was a really interesting disc, but it suffered from plastic durability. The QK2 was bizarrely shallow, and it along with the mid and putter that accompanied it had an offputting slick/greasy plastic. Wish he'd stuck around to make more stuff, think he could've been onto something awesome with more development.

I liked the QK, agree that they just needed a good plastic to make it work.

If the mold was for sale, I'd bid on it and try to get someone like MVP or Legacy to run it in Neutron or Icon and see how it came out.

Proper technique for a Champ Groove:
picture.php

The issue with the Groove is not that you can't take one and find a use for it. The issue is that some Grooves are overstable, some are flippy, some have glide, some drop like a brick, etc. That's not terribly uncommon, but in most discs that are inconsistent you can find a tell; the domey ones suck or the flat ones suck or the ones with the flatter wing fly less stable or look at the PLH...SOMETHING gives you a clue as to what the disc is going to fly like to help a player with some experience find the one that will fit his needs. The Groove doesn't. Two discs that look identical will fly differently. You just have to buy one and hope it's going to fly the way you want it to. Nobody wants to do that. It's that "every one is a unique snowflake of suck" quality that people hate.

If you have one that you like, or you like buying discs that you have no way of knowing how they will fly, the Groove is a fine disc. I'm just not going to throw my money away like that when there are other discs that I can buy and I do know what they will fly like.
Perhaps the most accurate post ever made on DGCR's forums.

Last edited:
Being used to throwing golf discs, when I try to throw an ultimate disc like a Discraft Ultrastar, inevitably bad things happen. Just not accustomed to that style of disc.

I just bought an 154g Bite, it's horribly flippy but Damn I get long straight putts with it. :D

Good things it's for my new dog.

The Optimizer is pretty insanely bad for actual disc golf.

A little more seriously though - zero hard maces are pretty bad. When fresh they are good, but as they wear in I found them to get way too squirrely - sometimes not turning enough and sometimes turning way too hard. DX Rocs and Ghosts have a nice gradual turn as they get worn in, zero hard maces did not do well in that plastic, imo.

This bad boy?

th

Quest AT Wildfire. Aw yeah. :D Talk about pop top. That disc was the Reebok pump sneaker of the disc golf world.
Aahh, Quest AT... they certainly had some "uniquely innovative" designs.
In addition to the pop top Wildfire Dave mentioned, they also offered these classic gems:

thewheel.jpg

quest_turbo_b.jpg

3bd5a526a9ea3e8962322886cec91f94--disc-golf-nike.jpg

I wouldn't bet my life on it, but to the best of my knowledge, Quest's the Odyssey was the first two piece disc... saw those years before I'd even heard of MVP.

Damn, fights over with a 3 punch knockout by BogeyNoMore...

I think the 100M Lazer also had that weird pop top.. But there's a dog chewed wildfire in my yard.. I'm changing my vote to that since I own it it is so bad I forgot that it existed. I did throw both the wheel and turboputt and I'm real glad I didn't buy them. That was lol funny. Thanks :)

Last edited: