• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What's up with my distance?

Its actually something that haunted me for a long time but am starting to get better and better at it. One thing I have noticed though is I am gettting some really low shots from time to time when I try throwing "flat" (IE minimal hyzer/anhyzer angle) which I generally lean towards a slight hyzer. I think I can resolve this by going a lttile more low to high on the pull.

I think for most players a hyzer release is their power move. And it could very well be that it's because it encourages this lean and with it, getting more weight behind the shot. I've started to conscientiously think to lean over from the waist, especially on the reachback. If u watch videos of the good players driving, u will almost see this move, although it can be subtle. About the best example is Ken Climo.

I see the top of your discs. Nose up.

See how at the end, its almost like insted of going more forward and getting your nose out past your plant foot, which you should have before releasing the disc, you step out backwards and you are staying straight on your torso the entire time. You have kind of an odd run up that I think isnt helping.

Looking at it again, looks like you lean forward for a reach back but you lean back when you pull and the disc is gone before you are 100% on your lead foot.

I see the top of your discs. Nose up.

Good call on this. Especially with a disc like a Wraith, u gotta get the nose down. I don't really have the arm for the faster discs like the Wraith, so I cheat and throw them into headwinds. That keeps em flying a little longer and gets a little more distance than the slower discs.

In your first few throws, I noticed that your run-up wasn't in line with your target. Also, u might start with your weight more on the balls of your feet, which should translate into getting all your weight over your plant foot at the finish. Watch that vid of Ken Climo that I posted above and notice how he's almost on his tiptoes throughout the run-up...

Yeah my run up was the first thing I noticed. But would that really have that much of an effect on distance?

Well, if it is not at very least getting you into correct position, then alone if the energy created by it is misdirected and therefore wasted, it can only hurt your throw.

I say boy, you are flat footed, stay on the balls of your feet. When your heels are the ground you lean back, and get your hand off your knee son. Its ok for the plant foot to heel. Your run up is not doing any good. Learn standstill or at least to walk the x-step. If you can't walk it, you probably shouldn't be running.

The other big thing is you are not reaching the right pec, bearly reaching the left pec, so there's little elbow chop, and you arc/swing the arm around. Basically not snapping it.

One thing I can't quite make out in the video is how the disc is flying for you. A Wraith, when thrown correctly, should make a nice S-shaped flight and end up straight in front of you. If the disc is flying straighter (or hook shaped) and ending up left of center then you are not getting a full flight out of the disc.

Your run up doesn't look too shabby in my opinion. Just some minor tweaks and you should be there.

Sidewinder, I get what your saying about walking the x step. I don't quite understand what you mean about reaching my right and left pec though. Details please!

Sidewinder, I get what your saying about walking the x step. I don't quite understand what you mean about reaching my right and left pec though. Details please!

Now looka here son, your vid shows your elbow is already extending out when the disc reaches your left pec. For max elbow chop or leverage the disc should come into the power zone left to right pec(almost touching your right pec) so that your elbow is closed and as far past the right shoulder pointing at the target like in the Masterbeato right pec vid. The elbow will stop moving forward at that point and then the shoulder rotation will add leverage to your throw. Focus on getting the wrist to pass through the same place the elbow goes to when its at the right pec. That will be the hit.

Well, I bookmarked this thread lol. Your shot looks amazingly like mine, however im just a bit further in distance than you.

It's kinda scary actually.

I think this is the Beato vid being referred to in this thread. Someone let me know if it isn't.

Focus on getting the wrist to pass through the same place the elbow goes to when its at the right pec. That will be the hit.

This ^

Last edited:
what's up with your left arm... looks like your holding it down against your side during the whole motion of the throw. your follow through needs to involve your whole body.

looks at these guys... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iff8S0Q-DAY
look at footwork, and follow throughs... but start slowly, don't try to go balls out like they are. like sidewinder said, walk the x-step first... baby steps.

Latest posts