• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Where does all the am money go in tournments

Status
Not open for further replies.
***Spoiler alert***

DG will never be main stream. Get used to it.

I hope and I pray you are correct. I want to get drunk on public land and take an occasional hit. I want to continue to run unsanctioned fundraiser events to benefit the courses I love without media attention, or touring pros showing up once a year and walking away with the purse. I would rather there be litter on my home courses than professionalism or commodification.

What I know is that if I ride my bike on a MT Bike trail, go play tennis, golf at a course, or play basketball on MOST courts in America...I wont come across someone openly "partaking." I could find in less than an hour, on a disc golf course, that happening. Infact it is out in the open. Don't try to act like it isnt engrained in the culture.
I'll just add that this culture was just as prevalent when I was on the mountain biking team in college. I still don't know where you find these basketball courts, cause most the ones I've been to have those things.

Even been the bowling alley? You can't really compare leisure activities to fast moving activities, those things aren't really possible to do during them. If you want to keep drugs and alcohol off the course you would have to make it speed golf.

FWIW I've seen more drinking and fights between parents at kids sporting events than I have on the dg course. I've not seen a fight on any course.

Lol! I dont see a bunch of high fisherman! In fact I have seen 10' of thousands of people fishing...never 1 smoking... Dont make excuses for people, just dont do it. Don't openly smoke and dont openly drink. Most importantly don't do it at tournaments. Again, I dont care about other sports.

You think that has something to do with the fact that we are possibly the most blue-collar sport ever? I do.

The reason DG isn't taken seriously by the public, IMO, has little to nothing to do with the extra-curricular activities that occur. It has to do with the fact that we are playing with frisbees. The public will always look at that as a hobby, not a sport. Frisbees are well known to be toys, not serious sporting equipment. Unless that changes, DG will remain a niche activity.

***Spoiler alert***

DG will never be main stream. Get used to it.

I actually think the demographics of disc golf skew up to the higher educated. A lot of disc golf is started on or around college campuses.

I hope and I pray you are correct. I want to get drunk on public land and take an occasional hit. I want to continue to run unsanctioned fundraiser events to benefit the courses I love without media attention, or touring pros showing up once a year and walking away with the purse. I would rather there be litter on my home courses than professionalism or commodification.

I like this guys style.

Lol! I dont see a bunch of high fisherman! In fact I have seen 10' of thousands of people fishing...never 1 smoking... Dont make excuses for people, just dont do it. Don't openly smoke and dont openly drink. Most importantly don't do it at tournaments. Again, I dont care about other sports.
You must live in some weird demographic. I don't think I've ever seen anyone not drink/smoke while fishing.

My course and the tourneys(unsanctioned) I run are on a brewery, so I can drink openly whenever I want. :p

Q: Where does all the am money go in tournaments?

A: There's too many stoners and drunks in disc golf.

I see. :cool:

Please remember that drug discussion is not allowed here, there is some good discussion on this topic and I'd rather not have to close the thread.

I actually think the demographics of disc golf skew up to the higher educated. A lot of disc golf is started on or around college campuses.

I agree. Many of the folks I regularly play with are educated professionals, including myself. However, I think we are the exception rather than the rule. In my area, the blue collar demographic heavily out-weighs the white. In the few other areas I've played, the crowd is similar.

420 ... Make you feel better?
No. You typed a three digit number that has no meaning to me. I feel exactly the same as before.

FWIW, I don't care for the penchant of so many who play our sport to inebriate themselves in some manner when they do. I sure as hell don't like cleaning up their remains of their activities afterwards.

But I've made peace with the fact that they're not going away, and that some holier than thou rant on DGCR isn't going to make them go away or even stop engaging in the activities in question. In fact, doing so is just going to let them have a big laugh at my red face make them want to do those things ten times as much.

At least for PDGA members in 2012, over half are college graduates with at least 85% with some college, over half have annual household incomes over $50K and 2/3 are over age 30.

http://www.pdga.com/files/2012_Disc_Golf_and_PDGA_Demographics.pdf

Those figures only represent those that are willing to spend the money to join the PDGA. I suspect that the majority of those that are involved in questionable behavior are non-PDGA members. Those are the folks that are "ruining our image", correct?

...and what happens on college campuses? Higher learning. :rolleyes:

No. You typed a three digit number that has no meaning to me. I feel exactly the same as before.

FWIW, I don't care for the penchant of so many who play our sport to inebriate themselves in some manner when they do. I sure as hell don't like cleaning up their remains of their activities afterwards.

But I've made peace with the fact that they're not going away, and that some holier than thou rant on DGCR isn't going to make them go away or even stop engaging in the activities in question. In fact, doing so is just going to let them have a big laugh at my red face make them want to do those things ten times as much.

I am building a course near a development. I have to purposly refrain from building benches in areas where walking paths cross behind teepads. The rest areas will be as far away from the residential area as possible. In fact, I have to purposly leave 2 tee pads very cramped and uncomfortable to spend additional time in, even though they are beautiful tee shots because it is the only way to mitigate the public perception damage.

Some tournaments do use Am money for pro payouts and that is wrong. Many TD's do not keep as money as they should from tournaments and use it to maintain the course. Things like erosion and teesigns should be funded through local tournaments even if this means lower or trohpy payout.

Q: Where does all the am money go in tournaments?

A: There's too many stoners and drunks in disc golf.

I see. :cool:

The question posed by the OP was answered very well on the first page, then lots of related topics were explored. The question of the OP can be expanded to "Where does the disc golf community want the am money to go in tournaments?"

Myself and my peer group want it to go back into courses. As a TD I exclusively run course fundraisers. Fair value is provided to the players but only the course treasury is coming out ahead. I usually loose money, but I consider that my contribution to the course.

Some TDs fully cover costs, I consider this ideal. Some TDs make a little money and some TDs make a lot, I have a problem with the latter but it's really hard to determine where the dividing line is.

1. For TDs/etc who hate DGers, why do you do it? Why bother?

2. For AMs who hate tournaments/TDs, why do it? Why bother?

For AM players, you can spend the money on discs directly, if bang for buck is your concern, and compete against yourself for free, or your fellows who don't believe competition means somebody has to lose, and stop getting an ulcer about your ROI. The fact that you play a tournament even though you're worried you're not "getting your money's worth" means you're getting some value beyond that, even if you don't realize it. Think about it.

DG is a sport/activity that has deep counterculture roots, and since DG is barely 40 yrs old, how far do we expect it to have evolved from that? It's one thing not to like the fact. It's another to hate it, despise it, and spit vitriol at the demographic that makes up most of where this game came from and currently is. It makes me wonder, why? Maybe there's a better hobby for you? Like neighborhood watch, or church social committee.

Anyways, on balance I'd prefer lower registration costs and no player pack, and I don't feel like I need to get "paid" for finishing in the middle of the pack in INT. I also agree that "bad" TDs likely don't last long, and that TDs don't have to feel like they need to be NGOs.

Some TDs fully cover costs, I consider this ideal. Some TDs make a little money and some TDs make a lot, I have a problem with the latter but it's really hard to determine where the dividing line is.

Why? Why does it matter what someone else earns? If they are following the rules and are not stealing, why would it bother you if they earn a lot or not? Just curious

Status
Not open for further replies.