• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Which midrange is the straighest you have?

My mids are all fairly overstable. I carry 4 Star Sharks, 2 max weight, 1 177g and one 176g. I do have a retired Roc and 2 retired Stingrays<1 San Marino, 1 Ontario> all 169g. The Roc is beat in to hyzerflip status.

Well I throw the Rocs and Comets

Elite Z Comet Straight up to 310/325 with hardly any movement left to right. I keep the comets in there for slow right turns annies also.

DX Flat top ROC straight up to 340 with not much movement left to right, and keep them in the bag for head winds, and hyzers.

I can throw many lines with both so it just depends what I feel like throwing at the moment.

Beetard said:
F'in X comet, B's! I gave up on broke in rocs. Every time I get one halfway close, I lose it.

May I suggest tuning a new Rancho by bending the edges down to get a straight flight in minutes. Fast enough for you? How many minutes does it take you to lose a straight Roc? :-D

I'm currently transitioning to the Roc system. Some folks say the beat Roc is as straight as it gets. I know from experience that the QMS is VERY straight...almost too straight. The QMS flies on the line you throw it and has almost zero fade. Because it's so straight I had a hard time with it because it wasn't very forgiving if I released early or late...no better disc to develop that nice smooth release, though. The QMS requires control, finesse & a smooth throw.

BIG MACK said:
I'm currently transitioning to the Roc system. Some folks say the beat Roc is as straight as it gets. I know from experience that the QMS is VERY straight...almost too straight. The QMS flies on the line you throw it and has almost zero fade. Because it's so straight I had a hard time with it because it wasn't very forgiving if I released early or late...no better disc to develop that nice smooth release, though. The QMS requires control, finesse & a smooth throw.
unless you have a beat ass QMS a beat roc will fly an entirely different line than the MS, the roc is more of of flip up to flat and go strait (or keep flipping to anny if its super beat) kind of disc whereas a the qms you have to really torque it to flip it up and over from hyzer

Fullbag said:
You can't beat an XD when it comes to woods, super straight from start to finish. You can easily get it up to around 260' with it even on a relatively low line. If I need to get further I'd probably throw a Buzzz SS.

I agree. The XD is dead straight, especially after flipping flat, and has excellent glide.

If I want a hyzer line, this disc is too straight for me...it just doesn't want to hold the hyzer line.

I also like the Z-Glide, which is more versatile in many ways than the XD. It will also go dead straight when thrown properly, but is also easy to get on an anhyzer or short range hyzer line.

JR said:
Beetard said:
F'in X comet, B's! I gave up on broke in rocs. Every time I get one halfway close, I lose it.

May I suggest tuning a new Rancho by bending the edges down to get a straight flight in minutes. Fast enough for you? How many minutes does it take you to lose a straight Roc? :-D

Perhaps you're right. Is this like geoloseth style tuning?
http://s307.photobucket.com/albums/nn287/geoloseth/?action=view&current=DiscTuning.flv

What happened to that guy anyway?

I don't throw it anymore, but a DX Classic Roc(San Marino) or RR/TP Comet was always a great disc choice for straight shots with zero fade to them. Now a days, I am throwing either a beat to snot Z-Buzzz. But I did put a Lat64 Core in the bag to mess around with a bit. This thing is amazingly straight and has pretty decent speed for a mid.

The core has a bit of fade until the flashing wears off, then it flips up about 10deg and holds that line and floats forever. My friends can't believe it when I pull out the mid on a 400+ downhill hole, but without a headwind the core just floats straight to the basket :) The discwing transcend is even straighter and just as fast, but very hard to keep it on a hyzer line with a full power throw.

Beetard said:
JR said:
Beetard said:

Perhaps you're right. Is this like geoloseth style tuning?
http://s307.photobucket.com/albums/nn287/geoloseth/?action=view&current=DiscTuning.flv

What happened to that guy anyway?

Yes but even premium plastics tune well with a third of the tuning angle he's using. With DX you really really need to be much more careful. From feel I wouldn't use more than 5 degrees of bending or the disc may crack. And there's no need to go that fast as well. You lose a lot of the sensation and with slower motions and you get a feel for when to back off if you go too far so breaking your disc is a lot less likely because you have time to react. Milder slower tunings have the advantage of lesser likelihood of tuning to too understable. Which needs more tuning back and a shorter life time in the sweet spot.

Gummy qms!!!!!!!!! Flies perfect right out of the box. Stays in the sweet spot longer than all these other mids that you have to beat in. I do have a 1st run ce qms that will beat in to fly straighter. The gummy qms knocked the ce qms out of the bag. The gummy ones are easily replacable as well.

I use a champ gremlin to compliment the qms. Nice disc. Goes on pretty much whatever line you put it on with moderate fade. Handles a quite a bit of power and moderate headwinds very well. I don't really have any experience with the beadless star gremlins.

I'm with dave that if you carry a comet and a roc that you will probably end up throwing the comet more.

Qms, comet, roc, buzz are all nice mids but the gummy qms gets it done for me most consistantly.

How many different rocs are there?!? You have to do your research to get the type of roc your looking for.

I like how the comet has the different levels of stability depending on what plastic. Pretty easy to tell which one your going to get the less durable the plastic the less stable pretty much right out of the box. I could be mistaken on that though.

eli said:
Gummy qms!!!!!!!!! Flies perfect right out of the box. Stays in the sweet spot longer than all these other mids that you have to beat in. I do have a 1st run ce qms that will beat in to fly straighter. The gummy qms knocked the ce qms out of the bag. The gummy ones are easily replacable as well.

I use a champ gremlin to compliment the qms. Nice disc. Goes on pretty much whatever line you put it on with moderate fade. Handles a quite a bit of power and moderate headwinds very well. I don't really have any experience with the beadless star gremlins.

I'm with dave that if you carry a comet and a roc that you will probably end up throwing the comet more.

Qms, comet, roc, buzz are all nice mids but the gummy qms gets it done for me most consistantly.

How many different rocs are there?!? You have to do your research to get the type of roc your looking for.

I like how the comet has the different levels of stability depending on what plastic. Pretty easy to tell which one your going to get the less durable the plastic the less stable pretty much right out of the box. I could be mistaken on that though.
there is 3 different Roc molds (not including the classic which has 2 molds of its own :wink: )

Rancho: most stable to start and what any stock stamp roc is (dx,kc) that you get off the shelf
San Marino: pretty much strait out of the box with a little more glide than a new rancho
Ontario: pretty flippy out of the box with the most glide of all three

Triplebogey said:
A beat in Star Cro.

It has too little glide to fade too much, and you can pour on the power without it flipping.

I must agree with this post. I use a 174 star cro for all my low straight mid range shots (very little fade or turn). If I need any sort of right or left fade or turn, I use a 180 DX cobra as I can make it do anything but fly straight with a backhand or forehand.

The straightest disc I have is the Optimizer. Thrown a little nose up to keep it from going right and it is dead straight.

Triplebogey said:
Is a 180gr gummy Champ Aero considered a mid??

In an older plastic it was considered a driver and Dave Dunipace set the world distance record with it with something stupendous around 500'.