• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why Do We Shake Hands Before The Last Hole?

I've never seen this. People around here must just be rude.

You missed my point. Only the people on this thread reading this will know how I feel about this. During a round, I smile and shake everyone's hand. I am just not giddy up on this disc golf tradition, but I have absolutely no problem with it if someone else initiates it.

Yes, I missed your point, but only because you didn't write what you were thinking. I'm not a mind reader.

Q: Are We Not Men?
A: We are Devo?

devo_arewenotmen_grande.jpg

One tradition that I'm not sure has continued at some events or parts of the country is the wolf howl when the round starts. Apparently that started back in the 80s among the oldest players like Steady Ed whose group would howl to start the round instead of or in addition to the air horn. W.O.L.F. = Wily Old Likable (or Lecherous) Fellows.

OMG. I have never seen or heard of this before right now, but I am making it my single purpose to bring it back starting right now.

As a New Traditionalist, I say we stop this stupid charade, and shake hands only on the first tee and after the round:)

I'm not opposed to moving it to after the round either; just sayin we should show some sportsmanship whenever the opportunity arises. A lota Cranky Nancies out there sometimes like to ignore that whole idea.

People I play with, be it doubles or stroke play or whatever, typically give out high fives and "daps" for good shots throughout the round, even if they are competing against each other. However I have never experienced a structured, pre-18th hole hand shake session...

No, definitely not just people on this thread. I don't spend much time here, but I've been around the block a few times in 100s of tournaments. I've seen a few players (who I won't name) remain isolated from others in their group, not making themselves available for a simple handshake (etc.), to get their "game face" on I suppose. Personally, I don't know anyone who wouldn't regard them as snooty for such anti-social, holier-than-thou behavior.
In all other sports that's called focus, but in disc golf the person is snooty, anti-social, and holier-than-thou lololololol

Just for some perspective, this IS disc golf. If someone needs to be so hyper-focused that they can not throw a Frisbee if they display courtesy to their fellow competitors, maybe they need to find a new sport.
wtf you talking about? Courtesy is good. If the only way to show courtesy is handshaking it out before the 18th hole in your opinion then that's on you if you don't like it. Kinda ridiculous though.

In all other sports that's called focus, but in disc golf the person is snooty, anti-social, and holier-than-thou lololololol

Yeah they are. Because the 99% of us are playing for useless trophies, plastic we don't need, or not enough cash to cover the event expenses in the first place. You can get your "game face" on all YOU want, but you look like an ass for taking disc golf that seriously. Congrats, you competed so hard that you won 20 bucks in free plastic for 16 hours of competitive play, way to compete!

Personally I play better when I'm relaxed and enjoying the round, so I try hard to keep the mood light because I play better when I'm just out their having fun

Yeah they are. Because the 99% of us are playing for useless trophies, plastic we don't need, or not enough cash to cover the event expenses in the first place. You can get your "game face" on all YOU want, but you look like an ass for taking disc golf that seriously. Congrats, you competed so hard that you won 20 bucks in free plastic for 16 hours of competitive play, way to compete!

Personally I play better when I'm relaxed and enjoying the round, so I try hard to keep the mood light because I play better when I'm just out their having fun
You have over 1000 posts since October of last year. So you take the forum's serious, but you are too hip to take a round/tournament serious?

If YOU play better relaxed so be it. If someone needs to focus (aka snotty, anti-social, holier-than-thou) to play their best then that should be respected as well. Your perceived value of the "prizes" shouldn't stop people from pushing to be their best.

If someone initiates shake it out before the 18th hole it is easier to quickly shake hands to stay focused instead of making a big deal out of it, but it's weird and distracting that it is almost mandatory. Before the round and after the round by all means shake hands, high fives, bump it, hold hands, hug, wever, but during a round it is messed up to impose your sweaty hand on others trying to focus.

Agreed. I'm playing in my first tournament on Sunday. I've been playing pretty seriously this year and I plan to take the tournament on Sunday seriously. Playing serious, to me, means my only concern is how well I'm doing compared my average, the course rating, etc. If I'm not making mental mistakes or throws that were a sheer lack of focus, practice, or I didnt think about my options, then I'm happy. My seriousness ends the second I step off the teepad or make my putt. Is it nice to win? Of course. But IMO, its better to know you played your best and did well, even if something did a little better.

I like it. The mild weirdness of this custom got my attention when I first started playing tournaments but like most mild weirdnesses, I began quickly to appreciate it and I now enjoy the routine ceremony of it

I like how it connects (mostly) all disc golfers - if I happen to play in a tournament in Maine or France, I may not know anyone else on my card, or where the best place near the course to get a burger might be, but I can hang my hat on saying, "good round" before teeing off on the last hole of the round and knowing my card mates will recognize that.

I also like how it contributes to the rhythm of the round, like the encore at a concert or the 2 minute warning of an NFL game. At this point, if we stopped doing it, that would definitely jar whatever rhythm I had worked to establish up to then.

I like unique customs & traditions of any culture or practice. Adds to the mythology & folklore of it. Adds to the fun too.

At least in my groups, it's usually a knuckle bump or high five versus a handshake especially if you're right handed. Players many times have sweaty hands and you don't need to get any more from the other players before that last drive.

I'm good with the pre-hole ritual, but I definitely advocate this approach for the sake of grip. :hfive:

No, it's not just focus. Rather, acting like that tells everyone else that your panties are in a bunch. It's simple to be a good sport and not have that interfere with your focus.

I played chess tournaments for years, a game that requires the ultimate concentration of any competition in my opinion. Still, we would always shake hands before and after the game, and to not do so would be considered offensive. My experience in chess was very helpful to my play in disc golf, helping me to maintain my concentration by blocking out distractions.

I never had a problem with the pre-18th hole handshake. It's the whole turn your back while somebody is putting thing that I never quite understood. If you turn your back, how can you catch a foot fault?

No, it's not just focus. Rather, acting like that tells everyone else that your panties are in a bunch. It's simple to be a good sport and not have that interfere with your focus.

I played chess tournaments for years, a game that requires the ultimate concentration of any competition in my opinion. Still, we would always shake hands before and after the game, and to not do so would be considered offensive. My experience in chess was very helpful to my play in disc golf, helping me to maintain my concentration by blocking out distractions.
Before and after makes sense. During not so much. Did you shake hands in anticipation of a check mate?