• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why throw the big hyzer?

ihatepickles

Par Member
Here's a strategy question.

If you're playing an open hole in no wind, why throw a big hyzer vs a low control shot?

I see this play out at my local course all the time. Being a new player on a 350' hole, I throw my Saint on a low hyzer flip line. The higher rated players bomb an overstable disc on a spike hyzer line. Why are they throwing the big hyzer?

For me, I don't have a big enough arm to carry all the extra distance that a big hyzer would require. I throw the low control because that's my only throw I have to park the basket. It got me thinking though: if I had a bigger arm, why would I choose a big hyzer vs a control shot?

when you have a big arm, the hyzer angle is used to control the distance of a shot.

so for them it IS a control shot.

It's a more consistent shot. Overstable discs won't have any risk of flipping, and will always finish left. Plus, overstable discs reduce the risk of over shooting the target by a lot when running an ace.

I've seen too many younger throwers who bomb it 450-500' but can't throw it 200' to save their life.
They have one speed.

All of these reasons. Plus I find that hyzers are not only predictable because you know they will go left, but also they arc more like a projectile. You can choose an apex height and position, and plan it out like throwing a ball (but in this case it's kind of diagonally).

On a straight shot a little bit higher and you might overshoot, too low and you don't get the distance.

The other thing is on a flat shot if you release incorrectly that results in a big left to right spray, or in more extreme cases with neutral disc that could be holding a hyzer vs flipping it over...which is a very big difference. On a hyzer line with an OS disc an earlier release gives a more line-drive hyzer, a later release gives a sky hyzer, and both end up very close to each other.

Also, power control as was said. What would you throw on a 200' hole? You could back off on your putter throwing it straight, or you could try to throw it closer to your normal power on a wider line and let the line "absorb" some of the energy since it's flying further.

I really find throwing straight shots more rewarding, but I'm learning to use hyzers a lot too since they're easy to judge.

I've seen too many younger throwers who bomb it 450-500' but can't throw it 200' to save their life.
They have one speed.

That's pretty irrelevant to the point of this thread though, since the top guys who are really good at throwing shorter shots still choose the hyzer line most of the time when it's available. No matter how good you are at straight shots, the hyzer has less risk, more distance control and is less affected by (almost) any wind condition.

Here's a strategy question.

If you're playing an open hole in no wind, why throw a big hyzer vs a low control shot?

I see this play out at my local course all the time. Being a new player on a 350' hole, I throw my Saint on a low hyzer flip line. The higher rated players bomb an overstable disc on a spike hyzer line. Why are they throwing the big hyzer?

For me, I don't have a big enough arm to carry all the extra distance that a big hyzer would require. I throw the low control because that's my only throw I have to park the basket. It got me thinking though: if I had a bigger arm, why would I choose a big hyzer vs a control shot?

Low control shots have a chance of being horrible for novice players like myself. Lots of variables.

It's hard to **** up a hyzer shot. Take your overstable disc you throw all the time and lay it out there. You know where it's going.

I only use the control low drives when I have to.

So, if I throw a driver 320' max and a Roc/Buzzz 275' max, do I score better on average on open ~250' holes throwing a driver hyzer versus a straight-ish midrange?

I'm not sure I buy this argument brought up by many.

So, if I throw a driver 320' max and a Roc/Buzzz 275' max, do I score better on average on open ~250' holes throwing a driver hyzer versus a straight-ish midrange?

I'm not sure I buy this argument brought up by many.

Try it and find out. Right now the top guys are scoring well in that kind of situation using their drivers. A ton of them choose to throw something like a firebird spike on holes they can easily reach with a putter or midrange. In the absence of data to the contrary, it seems reasonable to assume they've tried both ways and are throwing the shot that gives them the best chance to score well. My own personal experience jives with that as well, I'm pretty good at throwing mids and putters but on a wide open hole I find that it's easier to range a hyzer shot when available, and that I score better on average by making that choice.

A lot of top guys do mild hyzers on even shorter <300' shots (this is very short for them). But also some go right up the gut, like Doss often line drives a Buzzz or McBeth floats a Nova dead straight. These guys score very well and do the straight shots quite often.

Throwing straight is a very important skill, but hyzer is often a more reliable shot when the path is free. Especially if I have the option to throw 60% power straight, or 80% power on a hyzer...I'll choose the hyzer then since all the variables are more in my comfort zone in that example.

Yea its all about consistancy. Its much more constant to throw a spike hyzer with an overstable driver 300' than it is to get the release angle, height, strength and everything else right with a putter. The guys at the top of the game could probably still make the 99 of 100 times but its just easier to hyzer if you can.

Watch the Memorial. It hyzer city out there. All those Open guys can't be wrong.

Hyzer is a guarantee that the disc will go to the ground. You are painting the full path of the disc.

I prefer to throw putters and mids straight - I love the shots and they feel very rewarding and when my touch is good, I feel like I can throw it in from really far out and if I miss, the disc will settle right behind the basket.

But, if I'm playing the odds for the most consistent shots, it's a hyzer that will ride the tracks to the ground. Much less likely to mis-read my shot, throw it low or float it long.

Try it and find out. Right now the top guys are scoring well in that kind of situation using their drivers. A ton of them choose to throw something like a firebird spike on holes they can easily reach with a putter or midrange. In the absence of data to the contrary, it seems reasonable to assume they've tried both ways and are throwing the shot that gives them the best chance to score well. My own personal experience jives with that as well, I'm pretty good at throwing mids and putters but on a wide open hole I find that it's easier to range a hyzer shot when available, and that I score better on average by making that choice.

Hasn't McBeth said in the past that he prefers running at pins more than throwing hyzers?

Hasn't McBeth said in the past that he prefers running at pins more than throwing hyzers?

Yup, there are certainly exceptions to the rule. We're talking about overall percentages though, and a couple guys who are outliers don't really change that.

Latest posts