• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why throw the big hyzer?

Throwing over stuff is so fun. Took the big hyzer route from a high left side approach on the valley hole 2 for a drop in 3 :D no other way you could have even got a disc within 100' really it was 2 upshots from where I was but looked to the sky and let it rip.

Hyzers are the more dependable shot in all situations. A little wind can carry an anny 40'-50' past your aim point when the worst thing that is going to happen to a hyzer is it flips up flat and still dies right.

Hyzer lines also tend to give lines that may be shorter to the basket or far less dangerous.

All of these reasons. Plus I find that hyzers are not only predictable because you know they will go left, but also they arc more like a projectile. You can choose an apex height and position, and plan it out like throwing a ball (but in this case it's kind of diagonally).
That's a really good way to put it.

That is a good way to put it. It also clarifies to me why I will never switch to throwing hyzer bombs unless that is the only route to the basket. To me, hyzer bombs take the beauty and fun out of the flight of the disc. Might as well be playing Jarts. I have no illusion of getting much better any more as I approach 50 and play only 1-2 times per month these days....but this helps me understand why people who are trying to score their best in all conditions would adopt this approach. That said, disc golf is best played in the woods anyhow.....where hyzer bombs routes are not available as often.

I agree with you Dave. I think spike hyzers are ugly on open shots, but reliable. As I said in that post that was quoted, in another part of it (that wasn't quoted), I get away more satisfaction out of straight shots that are aimed.

I do feel that "I nailed it" reaction if I spike or hyzer over or around something, where the line I chose actually mattered. But on an open shot I may still throw a sweeping hyzer, but spikes are kind of ugly to me. I still do them when I need to though, they work well.

I guess I feel that way more strongly about overhands. In certain cases they are great shots, like over bushes or using the aggressive shaping between trees. But on open 250' holes I think they are disgusting. I realize they can be super accurate at that range and I understand why people do it. I am just not into it personally. I might as well be throwing a baseball at the basket.

That is a good way to put it. It also clarifies to me why I will never switch to throwing hyzer bombs unless that is the only route to the basket. To me, hyzer bombs take the beauty and fun out of the flight of the disc. Might as well be playing Jarts. I have no illusion of getting much better any more as I approach 50 and play only 1-2 times per month these days....but this helps me understand why people who are trying to score their best in all conditions would adopt this approach. That said, disc golf is best played in the woods anyhow.....where hyzer bombs routes are not available as often.

I don't disagree, I love throwing straight mid and putter shots and working interesting lines. In a casual round or playing a new course I'll choose the more fun line almost every time. When I'm in a tournament though, a hyzer spike just takes a lot of the risk out of play.

I find these 200'-300' open shots aren't horribly interesting no matter what the flight pattern.

haha! truth

Very strange article.

He starts off with saying that having choices is a bad thing. And then posts a graph of flight paths that resemble more a bumerang than a disc. Do you see how the discs hyzer out backwards in the graph? Yeah, I am not buying that...

Discs always travel forwards.

The graphs on the left side clearly curl backwards towards the end, which discs never do.

really? never seen a firebird skip sideways? the graph looks totally legit to me, granted it shows hypothetical throws using a formula not actual throws but not a single one of those lines is something i haven't seen on the course.

and he doesn't say that options are bad, just that they complicate things when it comes to shot selection, which is true.

One note is that for me it's easier to keep the nose of the disc down when throwing hyzer. That being said I still throw flip up shots dead straight if it's an option.

Wasn't there another chart? besides the heavydisc article? Just curious, I could have sworn I've seen another article or chart explaining why the hyzer is incredibly accurate compared to the annhyzer shot.

Wasn't there another chart? besides the heavydisc article? Just curious, I could have sworn I've seen another article or chart explaining why the hyzer is incredibly accurate compared to the annhyzer shot.

I learned how to play on my own accord. I didn't have anyone telling me not to throw Wraiths and Destroyers when i started playing. The only thing I was able to do with those discs was throw hyzers. I couldn't get them flat so i worked on the Hyzer shot. As my game developed and my shot selection got greater the Hyzer was still the one i felt most comfortable throwing since I had been throwing it for the longest.

If the Hyzer line is there, I'm taking it.

I know the OP said on open holes, but I'd like to point out how a big hyzer takes the trees out of the equation on a heck of a lot of holes. When you can bomb it over all the trouble and get yourself a putt every time, it kinda becomes your go-to shot. That's the main reason I throw hyzer whenever possible. I spent months out in a field practicing forehand because I want to reliably throw over and around obstacles in both directions.

There's a reason pros love the firebird and sometimes the gator.

It works for putting too. Ideally you should be able to shoot it straight in. But there are still big bead overstable putters that players use because they predictably curve. A lot of putting forms from pros utilize the natural hyzer of a disc instead of shooting it level and straight in for similar reasons as doing a big hyzer in an open 200' shot.

although hyzerflips appear to be going straight aren't they basically condensed S-Curve/anhyzer distance lines anyway?

you're still utilizing with a discs' inherent nature to curve back left (for RHBH throws) only by starting a hyzer grip to begin with.

it could be argued that a huge hyzer shot is the more natural or pure shot to do because you're working with the disc's attributes and can put more power into it. it requires less touch.