• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why throw the big hyzer?

Some players actually can gauge their distance better with a bigger hyzer. I typically throw the straighter control shot but latley have been working on my hyzer accuracy and seeing the advantage in it.. In fact in my opionon becoming an advanced player in disc golf isint just about a low score but having many different shots in your arsenal...dont get me wrong...its important to play your strenghts and be confident but allow urself oppurtunities to experiment and grow.

I agree with a lot of you: it is way more fun and rewarding to throw a slower disc pure and straight to the basket. Those shots are my favorite but I know my scores would be better if I just took a simple hyzer route.

The straight shot is a thing of beauty to watch and always makes me smile when executed well.
The Hyzer however, is the red-headed step child that gets the job done.

It's nice watching tourney videos when long straight shots are played, they film well. The hyzer bomb? Not so much. You see the throw, blank air, then the crash landing and gallery clapping.

I don't have the arm for the "big" hyzer-bomb, but for most shots now up to putting range, given the option I incorporate some hyzer. It's just more consistent.

One of the most spectacular aces I've witnessed was a huge hyzer bomb up and over a nearby 100 ft maple tree. Guy called it before he threw as well.

I seldom go for the "big" hyzer as I just don't have the arm. Straight up the gut is my usual M.O. for drives. However, for upshots I almost always get better results if I have room for a hyzer shot. These are much easier for me to range.

Hyzers are somewhat self-correcting. If you throw hyzer and release late, the disc will fly wider and higher, resulting in more fade. Often with hyzers a "bad" shot will wind up in about the same place as a good shot, just taking a different flight path.

On the rare occasions that I play a wide open course I throw hyzers unless there is a compelling reason to do otherwise. Examples would be tricky wind or needing a flex or hyzer flip to reach the hole.

Try it and find out.

Right now the top guys are scoring well in that kind of situation using their drivers. A ton of them choose to throw something like a firebird spike on holes they can easily reach with a putter or midrange.

This sums it up.

It's worth noting that the top pros practice tournament courses at least once or twice (if not several times) before a tournament, and figure out what shots are the best to throw.

So take a 300 foot long hole, mostly wide open. Straight lines and hyzer lines are all open. A top pro practices each shot with multiple discs, to take note of where each one ends up. Maybe 5/10 straight shots end up inside the circle, while 8/10 of the hyzers are within putting range.

That player realizes that he could easily birdie the hole with a variety of different shots, straight midrange shot included. But he also realizes that the highest percentage shot is the hyzer.

i just watched coverage of the 2014 USDGC with Simon Lizotte in a group with Ken Climo. The two approaches to a hole are pretty stark, and exemplify what we're discussing here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu3FKlqzX3k

16:51

McCabe really is over-opened, in terms of what we've been shooting for in the closed-stance world of things.

A0QAvc6.gif

Has that always been his throwing style?

roughly speaking, and to the relatively untrained eye, i'd say yes. this is from 2011, what do you think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLDPuDF1dw0

uOLqCyh.gif

To me that is a very different alignment, truly worlds apart. I wonder if his back injury changed the way he throws...

In the first GIF, he's pretty much squared up to face his intended line before release. In the second GIF, he's aiming his leading shoulder at the target.

I don't naturally gravitate to a hyzer-bomb mentality, personally, because I play on courses designed to seldom if ever offer that line to a righty.

So, even when I am faced with a wide open approach or tee shot, I actually am not as comfortable hyzer bombing.

This is kind of how I feel. I played a course yesterday that had a hole with a hyzer route. I yanked the first one out right, but it safely faded back into play. I thought I could do better, so I tried again. It slipped and cut hard left into the lake. My buddy couldn't stop laughing.

16:51

McCabe really is over-opened, in terms of what we've been shooting for in the closed-stance world of things.

A0QAvc6.gif

Has that always been his throwing style?

Stance still looks closed to me in both years. He's still got power through the hit. He might be throwing a hyzer in one, anhyzer in the other? I've seen Nikko throw some hyzers from some VERY open-looking stances.

uOLqCyh.gif

To me that is a very different alignment, truly worlds apart. I wonder if his back injury changed the way he throws...

In the first GIF, he's pretty much squared up to face his intended line before release. In the second GIF, he's aiming his leading shoulder at the target.

Oh, I definitely see what you mean. It could very well be the different shot. the other thing is that, in the second gif he seems to be throwing downhill, in the first one I suspect he's throwing uphill. If that's the case, it would make sense that he's pulling around more coming uphill to avoid the dreaded hyzer coming uphill. We should ask the man himself on his podcast.

If you are trying to score well you are going to throw the shot you are most comfortable with. A lot of times that is the hyzer. Generally speaking it is better distance control because at the end of the flight the disc is traveling more perpendicular and thus staying at a given distance where a straight shot is typically still gaining distance.

slowplastic gave the right answer on page 1.

The other thing is on a flat shot if you release incorrectly that results in a big left to right spray, or in more extreme cases with neutral disc that could be holding a hyzer vs flipping it over...which is a very big difference. On a hyzer line with an OS disc an earlier release gives a more line-drive hyzer, a later release gives a sky hyzer, and both end up very close to each other.

Imagine a wide open 300 foot hole. Let's say that on any given shot you might miss your desired angle of release by 5 degrees one way or another.

If you are throwing an overstable disc on a big hyzer line, there are virtually no consequences for missing your release angle by 5 degrees. Too much hyzer and you might cut right in front of the basket. Too little and you might cut right behind it.

Now imagine you're hyzer flipping a neutral disc on a straight line towards the basket. If your angle is 5 degrees too hyzer, the disc may never stand up. It will hyzer the entire way, causing you to miss your target by 30 feet or more. If your angle is off by 5 degrees the other way, you might overturn the disc, again missing by 30 feet or more.

It's the degree to which your mistakes are going to cost you that makes the hyzer the best choice almost always.

Latest posts