• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Wisconsin playing season?

Drakeab

Par Member
I will be in Madison, Wisconsin during the first week of February. Will there be anything playable around there or should I leave the discs back home?

I will be in Madison, Wisconsin during the first week of February. Will there be anything playable around there or should I leave the discs back home?

Birds Ruins, in Marshall, is open year round. The Madison city/county courses pull all their baskets, I believe.

Birds Ruins, in Marshall, is open year round. The Madison city/county courses pull all their baskets, I believe.

Yeah, but Birds Ruin is quite a drive away. I'd say, unfortunately, you're out of luck. :(

Dang- I was hoping to cross another state off the list. I guess it isn't meant to be. :/

Evansville and Janesville are in all winter. Evansville is a really nice 9 hole with 2 pads on every hole and 2 discatchers on 8 of the 9. The 9th hole is an island hole with just 1 basket. It's one of the nicest 9 hole courses around, and with the multiple pads and baskets there's good variety. Janesville is an 18 hole course with lots of large oak trees, some elevation, in a really nice park. Both are worth the drive, Evansville is about 25 mins and Janesville is about 45 mins, or 20 mins from Evansville if you play that first. Let me know if you want to play either/both and I could possibly meet up with you, depending on the day/time. I prefer Janesville, water comes into play on 4 holes in Evansville and it doesn't freeze solid so retrieving discs sucks in the winter.

Evansville and Birds ruins are both worth playing if you have a car. You won't lose any at Evansville if u have a golden retriever.

Honestly winter play, especially mid February, may not be something you are all too interested in seen as you are from Georgia. Expect it to be about 10 degrees on a good day and hope there wasn't a fresh snowfall anytime close to the day you are going to throw or you will be going back home a few discs short. I live in MN and honestly only make it out about 10 times during the winter and anyone who claims winter throwing up here is sweet, is dead wrong and trying to play tough guy disc. I'd bring the discs, winter boots, snowpants and winter gear only if you have room to pack it. if you honestly thought you'd throw mid winter in the north without those items, you likely just should forget your discs at home:thmbup:

Honestly winter play, especially mid February, may not be something you are all too interested in seen as you are from Georgia. Expect it to be about 10 degrees on a good day and hope there wasn't a fresh snowfall anytime close to the day you are going to throw or you will be going back home a few discs short. I live in MN and honestly only make it out about 10 times during the winter and anyone who claims winter throwing up here is sweet, is dead wrong and trying to play tough guy disc. I'd bring the discs, winter boots, snowpants and winter gear only if you have room to pack it. if you honestly thought you'd throw mid winter in the north without those items, you likely just should forget your discs at home:thmbup:

While I agree that the winter gear is a necessity, if you're layered up well, there's nothing wrong with throwing in the winter. As long as tee pads are cleared, it's just as fun as summer. I'm out every single weekend, down to about 0 degrees.

Sounds like Money_Shot needs to grow a pair.

Weren't you saying in another thread that 105 degrees was "unbearable?" We are all acclimated to our environments. Don't ridicule the guy for not wanting to go out in that cold.

^ and the closer you get to a fresh snowfall is better typically - it's when the snow gets all tracked up that you start to lose discs, it's much more fun to look for that fresh slice in the untouched powder. Of course now is the exception, this snow has melted and refroze, so all discs stay on top for the most part.

Hell, 90 here is almost unbearable, but we get like 150% humidity to go along with that :\

Weren't you saying in another thread that 105 degrees was "unbearable?" We are all acclimated to our environments. Don't ridicule the guy for not wanting to go out in that cold.

Money_Shot is in Minnesota. Not many 105º days there.

Nice try, though...maybe you should shut your hole and actually go throw.

Nice try, though...maybe you should shut your hole and actually go throw.

The point is that if you're very uncomfortable, depending on the conditions, then the game is no longer fun.

anyone who claims winter throwing up here is sweet, is dead wrong and trying to play tough guy disc.

There you have it: the yin and yang of winter disc golf!

DG in colder conditions is definitely possible, although it's not the same pleasant experience as a warm day. On the other hand, it can be rewarding to battle through the elements. (Plus you get to make fun all the fair-weather wussies online!)

It all boils down to how much you want to play. With appropriate preparation it can be enjoyable.

When it does get that hot the air quality gets so poor you are pretty much told to not go outside. Dew point like the jungle lol.

-8 this AM is cold but i can layer up. Not **** you can do in that kind of heat. Sweat while in the pool.

The point is that if you're very uncomfortable, depending on the conditions, then the game is no longer fun.

My point is, you should post less, and throw more.

When a thread about the season for playing at the one course you've played opens up, let us know.

It's a losing battle trying to get him off the keyboard, and on the course.

Would you rather build up a large post count that doesn't matter, or throw discs 150'?