• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Wizard Throwers, Help!

LavaBoii

I need to know what plastic you guys prefer for the Wizard! I have a Polecat in the bag right now and I'm gonna keep it for my lay up putter, but i want to see if i can replace my JK Aviar with a Wizard. I've heard that the Wizard is a very consistent putter and I just want to know what plastic i should get?

This question might be answered better by an email to Gateway directly. You can get any feel and firmness in the Sure Grip plastic (Medium/Soft/SS/SSS/RFF) so it's best for you to decide what you want.

If you want a JK-style feel and firmness, I would suggest a softer SS with a velvety feel.

Hi, I have also replaced my jk aviar with a wizard for throwing. I use a SS super soft and it's more firm than the jk but maybe not as firm as a kc aviar, but close.
the wizard SS is great for drives. Although some of my friends have softer grippier wizards that also drive well.
can't really go wrong driving with any wizard

My favorite is the gummy hpp evo wizards, use them for 130 and in...Hold stability forever great in wind and stick to chains...greatest putter ever made

My favorite is the gummy hpp evo wizards, use them for 130 and in...Hold stability forever great in wind and stick to chains...greatest putter ever made

these might not be so easy to find...

Soft or SuperSoft Wizards are great for putting. I prefer soft, but once it gets cold out i'll probably toss the supersofts.

I like my ions(wizard clone) a little more for the approach.

Mediums, any real firm soft or g9i are the way to go. I like the firmest you can get, their like controllable rockets?

Mediums, any real firm soft or g9i are the way to go. I like the firmest you can get, their like controllable rockets?

which are now considered illegal for tournaments..correct me if im wrong?

Firm Softs should still be legal.

At a tournament would you ask the guy on your card what plastic his putter was?

which are now considered illegal for tournaments..correct me if im wrong?

Firm Softs should still be legal.

I would not, looks like gateway just doesnt make them anymore?

I suppose you could hear a difference in a medium hitting the chains/basket compared to other putters lol.. but i could care less if anyone uses them in a tournament even if they were illegal.

I do have a firm super soft that I have been throwing on upshots and drives to beat it in to get that nice right turn on her!

I wouldn't either. I mean really there is no special advantage. I just like the feel and how smooth they come out. You are correct the firmest wizard gateway maes now is the eraser-25 which pass the flex test at 25lbs.

I would not, looks like gateway just doesnt make them anymore?

I suppose you could hear a difference in a medium hitting the chains/basket compared to other putters lol.. but i could care less if anyone uses them in a tournament even if they were illegal.

I like the feel of the organics as well. If only the ones around here weren't all stamped with the dd logo...

Dude.. The wizard and it's plastics are very inconsistent. You need to go and feel them for yourself.

Dude.. The wizard and it's plastics are very inconsistent. You need to go and feel them for yourself.

depends on how you look at it..

Gateway makes some money off these discs.. so why not run it plenty of different types of plastic to offer a good feeling disc for everyone. The tricky part is actually buying them, as others have said you could go directly through gateway.. or just try to specify what you want from other online retailers. Like you said.. buying them in person is the easiest way, but this goes for many discs.

depends on how you look at it..

Gateway makes some money off these discs.. so why not run it plenty of different types of plastic to offer a good feeling disc for everyone. The tricky part is actually buying them, as others have said you could go directly through gateway.. or just try to specify what you want from other online retailers. Like you said.. buying them in person is the easiest way, but this goes for many discs.

Gateway is the only brand where I would have to go look at it before I purchased. They all feel so different. My old SS Wizard feels perfect. I never found another wizard to feel like it again.. Which is why I no longer use Wizards but that was the best putter, I swear.