• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

World Record-Most Holes in 24 Hrs is now 1201!

I love the movement on this record. I think in the end it will belong to an elite ultra marathoner, who happens to love disc golf.

Personally I think it should be more of a course by course thing for the most part. It would be cool keeping track of who has the most holes played on one particular course and then everyone trying to beat the number of holes, as well as the score :D. I wouldn't mind seeing how many holes I can do in 24 hours out at Hornets Nest or Renny. Of course when the day is done I'm pretty sure an ambulance would be required.

Way to go. Interesting achievement. I'm not a world record setting kinda guy so I'd rather play one fun course than the same lame one hundreds of times, but still cool...

I agree. Inless its a course you really love, it would get boring. Too much cake will make you sick after while.

What might be interesting is having the record as most distanced covered (tee to hole)... that might actually make a longer course advantageous / can cover 100 metres in 1 throw. (The running though is the hard part maybe)

Ive calculated he did 200 rounds and 1 hole on that course (6 holes)
course length = 296 metres (970 feet)
Total from tee's to holes: 59.249km (36.69 miles)

Throwing hard pretty much isn't an option during a discathon of this magnitude. I have to imagine a compact course with minimal distance from hole to hole and pin to pad is the best way to both cover a lot of distance and play the most holes without causing undue strain on the arm.

I do think having individual club records would be a neat alternative. However, it's not a "world record" at that point, it's a course record, and the incentive to play for 24 hours straight is substantially reduced. That, and most good courses have enough foot traffic that you'd be waiting on people at least some of the time instead of playing straight through.

^^
Thinks these guys that do this to themselves are nuts. Congrats on the achievement but, I don't ever want to play 10 rounds in a day, much less 100.

I play in a 101 hole tournament every summer, and it is really hard to finish. Can't imagine ten times that even on an easy course.

Congrats dude, if you are reading this.

I want to own the record for fastest round at the Toboggan Course. I did it (unofficially) in under an hour with just a Buzzz last year. Going to time it this year.

This the fella that was on here talking about going for it?

this was not me... great :). looks like now that the record has jumped 100 holes I am definitely moving the location to somewhere shorter so i have a better chance at it.

Congrats to the current holder!

I would imagine that the pace of play required means you're barely taking any time to think about your shots. Just walk up, throw, pick up, throw, etc. I'm guessing he used a minimal disc selection? Maybe just one or two discs to keep things moving?

I would imagine that the pace of play required means you're barely taking any time to think about your shots. Just walk up, throw, pick up, throw, etc. I'm guessing he used a minimal disc selection? Maybe just one or two discs to keep things moving?

what ill be doing (and what ive seen/been told from video footage of other holders) is having a stool at each tee pad with 4 discs on it. Get to the tee pad, pick up 4 discs and throw. by the time i hole out i should have no discs in my hand and just thrown my putter... repeat 1202 times :)

Hello all,

Before I say anything else, Donovan is a first class guy if you don't know him. I called him with a question about the submission paperwork for Guinness, and he ended up giving me a TON of advice and actually came out at 3:30 AM in the morning to help me finish the last 3.5 hours. Anyway, great guy and I wouldn't have got nearly as without him.

I chose an easy course because this record is about speed. If you were trying to break the record for the fastest marathon, would you do it running up a mountain? Of course not. So for all of you that are critics of the "easy" course I chose, please think about that first before you comment :)

This was by far the most physically challenging thing I have ever done. Would I do it again? No way. I cannot even begin to tell you how much pain I was in the last 10 hours of this "discathon". I was actually on pace to break 1500 holes for the first 9 hours, but once the pain in my feet started, I had to slow down. I actually don't know what my score was yet, but I know that I had a LOT of 2's, 3's, and 4's, and somehow mustered up one 6 in the last hour - I don't know how, but I managed to hit the same tree twice and then throw 100 feet past the hole. Whatever, I didn't know what I was doing by then…

This brings me to another point- it was WINDY. Dang, that stupid wind……. It wasn't supposed to be that windy. There was literally 20-30 mph of wind with 35 mph gusts the ENTIRE day and night. Short puts that I would normally make ended up 30 feet away from the basket, so I start going for the short approach and the super short puts, which is why I had so many 3's and 4's. Every step counts and since I was going for speed and trying to save the limited amount of energy I had left, I tried my best to limit unnecessary steps if possible. I did get 2 aces, and I had about 10 more throughout the 24 hours that actually hit the basket on my first throw. But remember, 30 mph wind makes it hard to throw at anything.

One lap around the course is .27 miles, so from straight tee to hole it was 54 miles for 1201 holes. I definitely walked WAY more than that because of chasing discs caught by the wind, so it was more like 65-70 miles of walking. I have a GPS watch, but the battery only last 9 hours so I decided not to wear it. Anyway, thanks again to everyone that helped, and I think it is about time for another dose of Advil :)

I've played that course. It's basically wide open shots, minimal walking distance between pins/tees... On that course, a mid or putter alone would have been plenty.

The record is impressive in some respect, but then there is the WTF question of who WANTS to play a crappy course that many times. 1201 holes on a SIX HOLE COURSE is more than 200 laps of the same holes. That just sucks.

Also, any idea if he was wearing a GPS or anything that mapped his progress. I'd like to know how far he actually traveled during the 24 hours. I think that would be a helpful part of the record process.

First, Congrats on an amazing feat. Any endurance activity lasting 24 hr or more takes a lot of fortitude and determination.:thmbup:

Secondly, I run the time station in Fort Scott, KS for the Race Across America (RAAM). I find myself being so caught up in wanting to cheer the cyclists when they pass through.(I used to be a ultra-marathon cyclist) That I find myself going without any sleep. (last year approx. 2hr sleep in 4 days)

Thirdly, Welcome to DGCR :hfive:

I've played that course. It's basically wide open shots, minimal walking distance between pins/tees... On that course, a mid or putter alone would have been plenty.

The record is impressive in some respect, but then there is the WTF question of who WANTS to play a crappy course that many times. 1201 holes on a SIX HOLE COURSE is more than 200 laps of the same holes. That just sucks.

Also, any idea if he was wearing a GPS or anything that mapped his progress. I'd like to know how far he actually traveled during the 24 hours. I think that would be a helpful part of the record process.

After the third time, I think we get your point.:)

For the next attempt at this record, could you play three or four different lies at the same time? This would allow you to complete more holes in less time with less walking..

First off, thanks Tim and you guys with the nice personal comments. You guys really humble me. :eek:

The record IS "the number of holes played in 24 hours," not what is the biggest course I can play in 24 hours. Yeah, this course has short holes. But I am here to tell you, if you choose a long hole course than you are crazy. The course has to be a permanent course approved by the PDGA. This one counts. So for those people who keep saying, you're not that impressed after looking at the course, ask yourselves this: Why would you do this record on a hilly or long course? What would that accomplish or prove?

24-Hour type world records do take endurance, focus, and determination to keep going and not quit, but they also take brains and strategy. If you just try and muscle your way through them and don't try and figure out how to shave 1 second here or there or come up with a unique idea to make things easier for you, you are wasting your time. Using more arm than needed by throwing for aces and low scores have nothing to do with this record. If you are throwing a bunch of aces and 2's and attempting this, I can tell you right now, you are not going to do as well. You will end up walking more than you ever saved. Sure, Tim would have had better scores if the wind wasn't just insane, but the goal is number of holes played.

Tim was awesome. He played smart and tried to do as little of extra walking as possible. Plus, you ask anyone who has done this, if you do not have great concentration and play like a robot, these short holes will make you pay when you are 14 hours in. One mental error and you are walking extra and killing your time. I know for a fact he will be sitting one day and say, if I would have done this or that, maybe I could have done even more. It is about brains way before you ever attempt anything physically. He realized even as a marathon runner, he still had to be smart about this or there was no way he would have beaten Olorin's Record.

BTW, Guinness is great and all, but the record is the guy who did the most. Olorin may not have applied to Guinness when he did it, but he WAS the guy to beat. He had the most. I can't speak for Tim, but I am willing to bet he agrees on this point as that was his goal before he started.

DGCR is great, because everyone can have an opinion. It is OK if you think the short courses are lame and what not. This record tests many things. MENTALLY, this may be one of the toughest things I have ever had to do. To stay focussed on every shot, knowing that weather, course conditions changing, people walking up to you, physical conditions (like feet and so forth) are going to be throwing obstacles at you, with little to no warnings sometimes, and you have over come them all and just make the next smart shot... Well, when you have tried it, you may have an idea what I'm getting at. In this case, if you are making 3600 consecutive throws and walking over well over 45 miles, with no sleep, for 24 hours, there comes a point when the simplest throws are not that simple anymore.

Anyway, It is great to see you post on here TIM! And again, Congrats!

For the next attempt at this record, could you play three or four different lies at the same time? This would allow you to complete more holes in less time with less walking..

You have to play it according to the rules, extra throws would just give you penalties. ;)

Latest posts