• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New World Record- Most Holes Played in 24 hours!

I think that I remember someone saying that it had to be recognized by the PDGA as an official course. I think Donovan said that was the standards used for the Guiness Book of World Records. I could be wrong though.

This is correct!

For the real record: Thanks to everyone for being so supportive! I freaking love this site!!!! You guys are the best! :hfive:

I can take the criticism as I knew when I chose the course that would be brought up. My answer to all of it was simple.....Someone is going to use a short course eventually, it might as well be me. :)

I have been nothing but helpful to anyone who chooses to go out and break this. Why you may ask? I just wanted to spark some interest and draw attention to the sport I love. Considering how many people have already jumped at this record (or are jumping at it) and the number of people who are trying this sport for the first time, makes me feel like it accomplished something. A little love for our sport was all I was looking at. In my mind, I figure doing anything for 24 hours negates the comments that it is a sissy sport or a druggie sport. I wanted people to look at this and say, "Wow that is cool, I should go out there and try playing it once." I hope I have helped in that endeavor, even if it is just a little bit. I encourage others to break this record as well, because everytime it get's headlines, we get more people out there learning about the sport. :thmbup:

*falls off soap box* :doh:

This sets a completely sarcastic and negative tone and implies the accomplishment is somewhat diminished because you judge the course a practice field, and not an actual course.

Sorry, that was just my immediate reaction. It would have been the same if I were to stand there and somebody would ask me to play the course with him. I DO judge the course to be more of a practice field, but that is just my judgement, and nobody has to be impressed by it.

It was just a observation and not intended to take away from Donovan's accomplishment.

It is obvious btw that you can not set such a record on the most difficult courses out there, or the longest ones either. It shows strategic planing to use such a course to attempt to beat such a record. It is practical for that reason, but i still wouldnt think that it is a good course ;)

Donovan : Good game, keep it up dude ! :) Nice Guiness certificate :D

There are some valid points about the needs for standards so the WFDF is working on standardizing the criteria for this record.

For example, it needs to be done on a permanent public course of at least 6 holes. Other nuances are still being finalized.

Olorin,
What's more difficult, playing 1,000 holes on a short course, or the Great 8?

For those that don't know, the Great 8 is essentially 8 rounds (144 holes) on 8 different, regular-length courses in multiple cities, all in one day. If you add up the total distance of all the holes, it won't be as far off as some people might think.

Here's a brief comparison:

Miles walked
Great 8: ~18
24 hours: >50

Actual playing time
Great 8: ~10 hrs
24 hours: ~22.5 hrs

Holes thrown (produces arm soreness)
Great 8: 144
24 hours: 1114

Breaks
Great 8: play 18 holes then sit in an air conditioned car to drive to the next course.
24 hours: play ~45 holes then sit down outside for ~2 minutes per hour.

Meals
Great 8: Eat as much as you want while driving to the next course
24 hours: grab a few bites of food or a few swallows of liquid whenever you pass the table

Foot injuries
Great 8: none
24 hours: blisters on bottom, top, between toes (but none too serious); loss of 4 toe nails.

I think you get the picture.

It was about 105 degrees in Raleigh on the day of the Great 8 last year. Very high humidity too. Pretty sure you don't do that every day. 8 rounds is a long day anywhere, anytime. But 8 rounds in that heat wears you down a little. It's not a 24 hour marathon, but it's a full day. Plus you don't have a controlled environment on the courses. You need to navigate the normal course traffic, and stand in the sun and bake while you wait your turn. And in the Great 8 you are playing for low score, so. The quality of your shots matter.

Sick, sounds like a challenge for sure, and sounds more appealing to me than a 24 hr marathon would be. I do think I remember seeing that advertised somewhere. Btw I didn't mean to sounds nonchalant like "that's easy" more of an exaggeration really, I rarely hit 8 full courses in a day, I've been close a couple times this trip, last time was about a month ago in Memphis, and no it's not easy.

Latest posts