• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Worst Disc Golf injury ever?

Snakes and Bee's

Who said Disc golf wasn't dangerous? With carless throwers not calling "4", Tree roots tripping us into large stabby sticks, and terrain slips into canyons, gorges, and creek beds.
Mother nature has many challenges than we think..... Lighting is factor, don't play in the rain....
One of my stories contains bee's.... Im sure It does not compare to the stories I just read...
Hole #1, Mt. Airy.... decent drive, 2nd shot, lands in the maple tree patch, 60 ft. from the pin. As I got close to my disc, I noticed a swarm, my disc crashed into a stump containing yellow jackets, before I could warn anyone, it was too late... we got lit up like 4th of july... thankfully none of us were allergic... Fred got notified, and got my disc back and removed the nest...
I was in KY, Cumberland...on the really woods course, I saw a copper head snake, I thought nothing of it until my dog decided to check it out.... then I remembered that it was venomous and quickly called her away from what she thought was a living stick... close call!
All ways remember, be a patent disc golfer, take a moment to look at your shot, and your surroundings before its too late..

Nice tib-fib fracture. All it takes is one false move and you're in a hospital bed, thinking about what went wrong.

fractured my heel bone where my achilles tendon connects causing the tendon to pull the bone away from the heel this weekend. I'm assuming i did it when i was teeing off and kept playing. Played my best round ever and won the open division!

full disclosure, this is a buddy and not me but it did happen during a round of disc. 2nd shot of the day had him leaning out around a tree for this weird off-balance backhand (he has no forehand shot, though he vows to work on it now). The throw was perfect but while I'm watching it I hear a *snap* followed by *thud*groan* and "nate, I think I broke my foot." I was pretty sure he was right when I looked over and saw h that his foot was significantly off-axis, to borrow a phrase. As he straightened it out he asked me how the throw worked out, gotta respect the dedication. Aside from not being able to disc/work/walk/etc., we had a bachelor party scheduled for Blue Ribbon Pines 2 weeks later that he had to miss. Bummer all around, but he should be back on the horse in a month or so.

Attachments

• 20130830_131734.jpg
    20130830_131734.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 60
There was a shattered ankle at the CC this weekend. Get well soon D-Tuck!!

564121_10151957066925428_580137075_n.jpg

The current "digit" thread had a link to this thread and this was a more appropriate place for my reply. So... thread revival time!

A friend of mine broke his ankle a couple of months ago at Whispering Falls in PA. He's just about healed and ready to get back at it. I'll have to ask him if he has any pics for this thread. Or would that be in bad taste?

I've only had two DG injuries of note. First of all, shoulder tendinitis... which doesn't really show up in a pic very well.

The 2nd injury comes with an * beside it. I was actually fixing the exhaust on my car, in preparation for a disc golf trip the next day, when the rusted pipe slipped and raked across my wrist. Went to the ER and had to get 4 stitches. Fortunately, it was my left arm and I'm a righty. Still played four courses over the next two days, along with riding many coasters at Hershey Park with my daughter! :clap:

I'll post a pic, after stitches, below. I had never actually had stitches before, other than the melt-away kind for oral surgery. So I was impressed. The before picture was much more impressive showing the lovely, bloody mess.

Disclaimer: Mildly unpleasant picture below. Do not proceed if you don't want to see fresh stitches. :D

picture.php

Non-DG related disclosure - but what can happen in small numbers:
Myself and two friends were practicing for a state softball tourney. I offered to pay to go to a batting cage and just hit, but they were dedicated and wanted to hit live pitching (and I was the only one who could pitch) even in wet/damp conditions. So I give in just knowing that I am going to get clocked because I am always closest to the batter.

Our setup was one batter, the pitcher (me), and one guy in a 300' outfield. The batter smashes a line drive down the left field line and my buddy is miraculously there, but as he tracks to the ball his footing gives way and he throws his glove hand to the ground to stabilize and by the time he tries to lift it back up the ball smacks him dead in the left eye. Fortunately a softball is not large enough to fit within the eye socket, BUT it is sufficient in mass to carry enough energy to rupture th orbital bone surrounding it.

My buddy had to have eye rest until the swelling went down (patch on both eyes) so he missed the 95 WBDGW event (he was suppposed to be my partner in the doubles tourney). I played and got matched up with a sand-bagging solo player. Ultimately benefitted me as we won the doubles event.

I will try to find a picture of when my buddy hurt himself-

He stepped wrong on the teepad and his foot came off of the end of his leg--- It was still in his shoe, and you could see the end of his leg next to it--- It was really gross-

He ended up with two rods and about 8 bolts in his ankle

I heard a story of an Illinois guy last year who had been playing for only year or so and was competing well in advanced and open. He was playing winter leagues and while throwing he slipped on ice and instinctively put a hand out (throwing hand mind you) to break his fall. He got up making a commotion and people saw blood spilling out of his hand. He cut his hand open on jagged ice and it was deep enough that he actually did damage to tendons in his hand. He ended up losing mobility in that hand. The real bummer is that his occupation required full use of his hands so he wasn't able to do his job anymore, let alone throw discs with that hand. I heard he started practicing lefty now though. But yeah, talk about bad luck…

I will try to find a picture of when my buddy hurt himself-

He stepped wrong on the teepad and his foot came off of the end of his leg--- It was still in his shoe, and you could see the end of his leg next to it--- It was really gross-

He ended up with two rods and about 8 bolts in his ankle

That must have been freaky as hell :sick:

That must have been freaky as hell :sick:

Yeah- it was.

I called his dad to let him know that there was an ambulance coming, and his dad was really confused as to how he could hurt himself playing Disc... Golf?

craziest thing was that everyone from nearby holes could hear the snap of his foot--- he didn't realize why he was even falling down, and never even said ow. He just looked more annoyed that it was messed up.

Since this happened at league, there were a lot of people around-- people were getting nauseus looking at it- it was crazy weird. I could see his foot in his shoe and next to that could see his leg.

I have a friend that had to have his foot reattached after a climbing fall severed it... needless to say...but I will anyway- pretty metal.

It's a dangerous world out on the course.

This June I took a small step on a very slight slope throwing a FH upshot. I slipped on the grass and fell forward, but the front of my toes remained gripped to the ground. I basically bent my foot in half, with the tops of my toes touching or nearly touching the top of my foot.

I thought I'd completely shattered my foot. It swelled up tremendously, and was pretty gnarly colored. Worse yet, I had to drive almost two hours on the thing, some of which was in a blinding downpour, to get home.

I still don't know what I did. I have health insurance, but it's not useful for things like this. I was off of it for 8-10 weeks, and it still hasn't fully healed yet, although I can run and play on it now. I'm going to take a few weeks off from running to see if I can finally fully recoup.

groin pull?

While playing, I noticed some slight sensation that I'd pulled and inner thigh/groin muscle. it got worse as the round progressed, but I didn't let up at first. then it really started to hurt and i was having to drive from a standstill and walking hurt.
when i got home, i saw this. blood from the injury seeped down and pooled but evidently stopped at the knee. [my knee never hurt, but i wondered if the extra pooling blood might mess up my knee]. never went to the doctor. i was unemployed with no insurance. After a week or two I stated playing again, but had to drive from a standstill for about 2 months.
I've had more minor groin pulls, and I thought that football players were probably wussing out when they couldn't play with a groin pull, but now i know better. prolly took about 3-4 months before it quit hurting. I'm still conscious of it, in the back of my mind, when I play.

Attachments

• my groin pull.jpg
    my groin pull.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 18

Latest posts