• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Would you still consider it an ace?

We saw a beautiful skip ace tonight at Roswell Park.

We had just finished 5 and there was a single dude behind us who was obviously faster than us. I told my wife we could stand to the side and let him play through. I also said "I bet he can ace this hole"

We stood there for a minute and then his disc comes flying through the air, hit the ground about 10' in front of the basket and skipped right in...freaking awesome.

None of us had a pen but that disc was his 4th ace at that course. As we were finishing 9 he came back with a regular pen from his truck so my wife and I signed it.

Dude, witness or no witness, if you make one, you make one. End of story. Be true to yourself, take what the course gives you and enjoy the event. Don't get hung up on that other stuff. You threw it from where you were playing the hole from due to the conditions & it went in. Conrgats form me bro!

I agree.... you are your own best witness..... "crappy" shot or not.... that's an ace.

Heck, I think it's quite astonishing when I have an errant shot hit a tree & go in.... really, what are the odds of that happening.... One of my aces was a tree-flection w/ two of my best buddies present..... funny thing is a few weeks earlier, on the same hole, I aced it (V-line for the basket the whole way) and there wasn't anyone on the course to share it with.....

Three Putt, have u had any other shots from the tee that went in (via tree-love or w/ out a witness)? If so, I commend you on great shots... they are aces in my book

Dude, witness or no witness, if you make one, you make one. End of story. Be true to yourself, take what the course gives you and enjoy the event. Don't get hung up on that other stuff. You threw it from where you were playing the hole from due to the conditions & it went in. Conrgats form me bro!

Ditto. Congratulations!

I totally agree. I have played many rounds by myself. you can't always have someone with you. Congratulations on your Ace!

Yup! I agree. I've only had one "ace" and it was on my own home course during a "practice" round for me. It was a round that I wasn't keeping score on and I was throwing more than one disc at each hole.

I do consider it an ace because it went from tee to basket in one shot.

However, when I make my first ace during a round that I'm keeping score on, on a course other than my own, I'll feel better about then saying that I have two. :)

I attached a link to the hole details and a pic.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showpost.php?p=24225&postcount=15

yea jimb, not an ace...at least not according to you on the poll...yet you consider your shot an ace?
kinda hypocritical eh...

It appears that way (hypocritical)... unfortunately. I hate it when that happens.

I hadn't read this whole thread when I voted. Then the thread really got me thinking more about the subject.

In my mind, I think of my ace as having an asterisk * beside it. Kind of like McGire's, err Bond's single season home run record. It's one of those things. It was definitely an ace since it was the single shot from tee to pin. But is it really "official"?

If there were ace categories, yhen I would say that my ace would definitely fall under the "type b" ace and not the "type a" ace. And I think that the poll may have been looking for type a aces.

It's kind of like when world speed records are set. They might break the record, but they have to repeat the record breaking performance before it's considered official. So if they only manage to pull it off once, even though they may have actually gone faster than the previous record, it's still not considered official.

So my vote would really be no for a type a ace, and I wouldn't count my ace as a type a. But my vote would be yes for a type b ace. Does this make sense? I hope so. And I think that I asked on a different post a while back if people on this site would consider what I did an ace and the replies were generally "yes." So I am skeptical myself.

Oh, well. I'm getting sleepy and should probably go to bed.

Sorry if I screwed up the poll statistics!

Last edited:
nah that makes plenty of sense...and it didnt screw the stats up, i mean if you look at it that way you voted correctly...bc i never stated what type of ace, so automaticaly i would consider it a "type a" ace......no worries man

nah that makes plenty of sense...and it didnt screw the stats up, i mean if you look at it that way you voted correctly...bc i never stated what type of ace, so automaticaly i would consider it a "type a" ace......no worries man

Thanks dude.

OK here is a scenario:

You are playing a course for the first time. The people you are playing are describing which basket is you are to shoot at. You throw at the the one further away thinking that is the correct one and you hit it. Then they are like NO!, it's the one right of that and shorter. You hit the one you were aiming at. It's a Black Ace for sure.

I know it isn't an ace, but what a bum deal!

I hate when that happens.

Actually, the odds are pretty good that that scenario has never happened.

I don't know how often it happens, but there are several opportunities for this at East Roswell Park. The most notable being 11/17.

It's possible on a couple holes at The Woodshed. I've only thrown at the wrong basket once, and that was because I was so far off of the fairway in the woods that the closest, and only visible, basket was the wrong one. It would have been my tee shot coming into play anyway, but the concept is similar.

And there are two holes at Shawnee State Park where the baskets are really too close to each other that could be confusing the first time around the course.

I have definitely thrown toward the wrong basket before on a new course but never ona hole where an ace was even a possibility for me.

An ace is an ace whether it skips in (skip ace), bounces off a tree (tree love ace), or is your 10th throw at the hole (mulligan ace). I know a guy who threw 30 aces at hole 1 at Lamar Park in Wyoming, MI last year. If your throw is way off and goes into a different basket that is called a black ace.

Latest posts